boyd is offline New Member

HELP. arms burning out when doing chest and back.

i have a problem when doing my chest and back. my arms seem to burn out really fast making it hard to train my chest and back to full potential. i always make sure i do a thorough warm up before starting to lift heavy and i breathe properly when doing my reps. does anyone know of any techniques or anything that can help with my problem?

1. Get someone to spot you; the comfort level of someone watching over usually makes u lift more

2. Focus on your form, when doing chest your only taxing your bi's by about 40% (so i've read). Make sure you use your chest to lift the weights

3. Decrease the weight; sounds like your lifting too heavy bro

1. Get someone to spot you; the comfort level of someone watching over usually makes u lift more

2. Focus on your form, when doing chest your only taxing your bi's by about 40% (so i've read). Make sure you use your chest to lift the weights

3. Decrease the weight; sounds like your lifting too heavy bro

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Get lifting straps for heavy back workouts. May indicate the need to strengthen your bi's and tri's to catch up with everything else. I would also try the lifts with lighter weights, may be too heavy and causing you to cheat.

Try this Take a really wide grip on barbell bench press so youre working more of your chest not your tri's.....and try not coming all the way up on every rep.....go all the way down to your chest and come back up about a little more than 1/2way to 3/4 to focus even more of the stress on your chest and delts.

With back you may need to strengthen your forearms and bi's and brachiali. Straps will just make you weaker in the long run you will have a woman's grip strength.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    You say, "arms" - do you mean your grip gives out?

For chest, I like to tuck my shoulder blades under to stick out the chest a bit - I feel this helps to give it a better stretch and put more attention on the chest. Plus - make sure your grip is not too narrow... or you might end up with some beefy triceps at the pec's expense...

What do your arms look like now - in porportion to the rest of your body? How long have you been training?

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Khadafi
    Try this Take a really wide grip on barbell bench press so youre working more of your chest not your tri's.....and try not coming all the way up on every rep.....go all the way down to your chest and come back up about a little more than 1/2way to 3/4 to focus even more of the stress on your chest and delts.
    Agreed

With back you may need to strengthen your forearms and bi's and brachiali. Straps will just make you weaker in the long run you will have a woman's grip strength.
    Nah, why sacrafice your back workout for grip? You can work them separately when doing heavy back.

Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    Agreed

Nah, why sacrafice your back workout for grip? You can work them separately when doing heavy back.
    Tru, i guess if its f'ing up his back routine, I personally stay away from straps, except on the heaviest set of an exercise in which my grip gives way(Usually shrugs for me)

Deadlifts are one of the best exercises for strengthening your grip.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Deadlifts are one of the best exercises for strengthening your grip.
    Sheeeit... a couple weeks back my straps finally tore and I was facing my Bent Rows with no grip support from them. Needless to say, I sucked it up and really tried hard to pull the same load and keep my grip - I was amazed at how sore my forearms were for several days after that session. All beaten to hell... awesome...

Like DNoMac mentioned, don't restrict the growth of the large collection of muscles in the back to the strength of your forearms... just keep the straps for your heaviest sets. And when you start using straps - its time to start dedicating sets that focus on the forearm grip strength... like static contractions holding onto dumbells or Irongrip plates, wirst curls/extensions, and the variety of other sadistic ways to make your forearms compete with Popeye's!

But until a bodybuilder/powerlifter starts using straps - I really don't see any need to do direct forearms work at all. In fact, I think it is a total waste of energy for young lifters to do direct work in the gym on their forearms, calves (debateable)... their neck - the little things that should be getting indirect work with a routine based around the heavy free weight movements... Squats, Benches, Deads, Rows...

JMHO...

URMaster is offline Junior Member
    I dont directly target my forearms with a direct workout either.

To the original poster, this will pass. Your muscle endurance levels are not too high yet. I'm betting your new or just getting back into the gym. This will pass.
    Last edited by URMaster; 02-18-2006 at 07:45 AM.

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    But until a bodybuilder/powerlifter starts using straps - I really don't see any need to do direct forearms work at all. In fact, I think it is a total waste of energy for young lifters to do direct work in the gym on their forearms, calves (debateable)... their neck - the little things that should be getting indirect work with a routine based around the heavy free weight movements... Squats, Benches, Deads, Rows...

JMHO...
    I dunno warrior forearms yea I get enogh done with back day but Ill be the first to say claves gotta get worked I mean before I started doing calves my legs were getting big but calves were tiny so I think calves is one of those were you shouldnt do them until you have your legs in order and know how to do everything, then once you see some growth in your legs that is the time to hit up calves JMO

Thread Information