Thread: Lat Pulls

chest6 is offline Banned

Lat Pulls

Do you guys do these with your torso straight up or at a 45 degree angle? I used to start and then pull back to a 45 degree angle but I used too much momentum. For awhile now I have been pulling straight down from a sitting straight up position and I'm wondering if this was best for back width or not?

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    I usually do 4 setsd and alternate each set, I feel the straight up and down gives a good range to the lower lats, as where the 45 degree angle gives a good pinch more towards the upper middle, thats why I like to incorporate both into my workout, hope this helps man.

chest6 is offline Banned
    That sounds like a good idea. I just really want to add some width to my back in the next few months of bulking. My thickness is alright, just need to widen up.

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    Another good one I have added to help with width is I use the cables (the ones you can do crossovers on) and get on my knees in between them on perform wide pulldowns, since you are almost in an inclined crucified type postion that wide pull reall burns the lower lats and has helped my width tremendously since starting them about 7 weeks ago.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Damn I can see that realllly stimulating the lats. Thats a good idea I've never seen that before.

39.5Swamp is offline Banned
    Do chins if you can with wide grip and add weight. IMO it kills lat pulldowns. And Blue I tried that before and I like it too as a finisher.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I sit straight up so I am not using my weight to swing the weights around. My partner holds my back still while I pull so It is nice and smooth and also I can make sure I can feel my shoulder blade coming together and not pulling with my shoulders.

I think wide chin-ups are better but I am not strong enough to pull enough sets.. I have added a few to give my back a little extra kick.. I would like to change over completely.

My 2 cents

~Old

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    When you guys says 45 degree angle, is that leaning the trunk forward to the said angle?

chest6 is offline Banned
    I mean back when I say it. I do lat pulls to the front.

I also do wide grip chins, they really kill my lats, but I keep gaining weight and it keeps getting harder to do them. I do assisted ones now.

Routine is like this for now
    3 sets wide grip chins
    4 sets deads
    4 sets tbar rows
    3 sets lat pulls

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I mean back when I say it. I do lat pulls to the front.

I also do wide grip chins, they really kill my lats, but I keep gaining weight and it keeps getting harder to do them. I do assisted ones now.

Routine is like this for now
    3 sets wide grip chins
    4 sets deads
    4 sets tbar rows
    3 sets lat pulls
    I thought you were talking about straight-arm lat pulls, while standing.

If you are doing wide-grip chin-ups, I would go with supinated-grip lat pulldowns instead of the traditional lat pulldown.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I've got it now. You were talking about leaning back during lat pulldowns. I wouldn't lean back excessively. It starts turning into a horizontal pulling movement, when you are back too far. Lat pulldowns are intended to be a vertical pulling exercise.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    I've got it now. You were talking about leaning back during lat pulldowns. I wouldn't lean back excessively. It starts turning into a horizontal pulling movement, when you are back too far. Lat pulldowns are intended to be a vertical pulling exercise.
    Sounds good, I have been performing them like this. I never lean back at all Im always sitting straight up pulling straight down.

I thought you were talking about straight-arm lat pulls, while standing.

If you are doing wide-grip chin-ups, I would go with supinated-grip lat pulldowns instead of the traditional lat pulldown.
    However, if I were to do these, wouldn't I need a little backward lean? Seems a little difficult to pull straight down with that hand postion.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    However, if I were to do these, wouldn't I need a little backward lean? Seems a little difficult to pull straight down with that hand postion.[/QUOTE]

A slight lean is ok. You need to get the bar past the head, afterall.

chest6 is offline Banned
    A slight lean is ok. You need to get the bar past the head, afterall.
    Thats what I was thinking, similar to barbell military to the front. Not to much with your body as leanining your head back..

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Thats what I was thinking, similar to barbell military to the front. Not to much with your body as leanining your head back..
    With shoulder presses to the front, if you lean back too much, you're involving the upper chest to a greater degree. That's why people arch their back on shoulder presses, to recruit more from the stronger upper pecs.

I cannot do pulldowns. I seem like I use too much bi's. I just do chins first because that is my weakest link. Then deads (maybe), I can only do those once a week. Then bent over rows. Then a good machine to finish them off.

chest6 is offline Banned
    My bi's are really sore today cuz I felt like doing negatives on the latpull but my lats weren't really feeling it still the next day. I just want some wicked back width

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Lat pulls are worthless. Ask any powerlifter. Maybe you bodybuilders can do some pump sets with it, but you aint gonna grow from it. Want to build the lats? Deadlifts, rows, seated rows, pullups.

My bi's are really sore today cuz I felt like doing negatives on the latpull but my lats weren't really feeling it still the next day. I just want some wicked back width
    Are you using a thumbless grip?

chest6 is offline Banned
    nope, I wasn't. I'll agree lat pulls are pretty worthless for a powerlifter but they're alright for a bb.

nope, I wasn't. I'll agree lat pulls are pretty worthless for a powerlifter but they're alright for a bb.
    Well, you need to do rows and deadlifts for thickness. Using a thumbless grip will transfer more of the load to your lats instead of your biceps.

Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    Well, you need to do rows and deadlifts for thickness. Using a thumbless grip will transfer more of the load to your lats instead of your biceps.
    I quit doing lat pulldowns and did chins, deads, and BO Rows and never looked "back".

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    i like doing hammer pull ups and wide grip chins with weight....but really focus on ur lats dont let urself swing ur body stay straight and go alllllllllll the way down to really stretch and pull with ur back u dont have to go all the way up either just a lil past 90 degress with ur arms, anymore and its all bi's....atleast thats how i see it

Quote Originally Posted by 39.5Swamp
    I quit doing lat pulldowns and did chins, deads, and BO Rows and never looked "back".
    Lol. I hear ya man.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yep, I deadlift and row all day I just need some more width

Thread Information