chest6 is offline Banned

SC's leg routine

First of all, it kicked my ass. As the sets went by, I was getting a major lower back pump. It was so bad on the 3rd set I had to stop at 14 and on the 4th set it almost gave out at 11. I felt as though my legs got short changed because my lower back was holding me back. I don't round off at all. I went 3/2 tempo and to parallel, maybe a little lower. My form looked good to me, and I had a friend take a look and he thought it was good too. Any ideas on why this happened? One idea I had is maybe I haven't been used to pumping out high reps..who knows..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Conditoning will get better.

Use lighter weight to complete all the sets/reps listed. (actually does the conditioning)

Use a quicker 2/2 tempo, no pronounced descents as your back is in a vulnerable position at that time.

~SC~

pelly789 is offline Member
    thats weird that you bring this up because i have done swoles leg routine 3 times now and everytime my lower back seems to get such a pump that it hurts really bad and the first workout i had to stop my third set also and felt my legs got robbed too and no position seems to be comfortable for like a half hour after the workout i think it might be the high reps doing it because i never work with high reps EVER in 3 years i havent i usually stick between 4-12 at most however i was able to finish my 2nd and 3rd workout with lower back pain/pump whatever it is but im only squatting 135 for my sets to go down more than that id feel like im not doing enough weight
    Last edited by pelly789; 02-25-2006 at 08:04 PM.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Sounds good. I started off with a puny 135 and then went up to 185 for the rest of the sets. I used to be able to get 225 for it, but that was my 4th week doing it awhile back. More of a conditioning thing than a strength thing.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure in the weeks ahead my conditioning will improve (and of course my legs) I forgot how much harder it is with the 5 sets of leg ext/leg curls supersetted right before. Thanks again for the help.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly789
    thats weird that you bring this up because i have done swoles leg routine 3 times now and everytime my lower back seems to get such a pump that it hurts really bad and the first workout i had to stop my third set also and felt my legs got robbed too and no position seems to be comfortable for like a half hour after the workout i think it might be the high reps doing it because i never work with high reps EVER in 3 years i havent i usually stick between 4-12 at most however i was able to finish my 2nd and 3rd workout with lower back pain/pump whatever it is but im only squatting 135 for my sets to go down more than that id feel like im not doing enough weight
    Yep same with me. I have really never gone above 10 reps before the last few months. I've done 315 23, but not with this tempo. The tempo is what makes it impossible

yea ive been doing 135 for 3 weeks now just griding em out to finish them but this coming week im gonna bump it up to 185 for my squats hopefully i can finish its gonna suck tho haha ive come close to throwing up twice already doing it so i hope i dont next time

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yep, I had to stop after my third set I came close. Gotta love it tho

my conditioning for this has gotten alot better the more i do it i can go further without wanting to throw in the towel but the first time i did this workout i got my ass kicked i had to straighten my legs sitting down before i attempted to walk because it hurt so much i had SO much latic acid build up its not even funny i also measured my legs before the work out and they were 25 1/2 in. and i measured agian a few days after doing the leg routine and they went up to 26 1/2 and stayed there.. thats pretty amazing!!

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    i'll be doing swole's routine with 155 for the first 2 sets, 160 for the next 2 and 165 for the last set. i improve this way every week (next week will be 165,170,175) is this a good improvement week by week? or should i just be upping the weight say 15 pounds each week and do every set the same weight?
    how do you guys improve with weight for the Swolesquats?

chest6 is offline Banned
    I just did 135 then 185, 185, 185. It wasnt much weight, but my back started flaring up so maybe it was

Mick_540 is offline Junior Member
    I assume you guys are referring to the routine that is a sticky up the top of this page, right??

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    would hormones are you on right now.....anavar , halo, winny, gives horrible back pumps.....in high doses, no matter how strict your form

Liftnainez is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_540
    I assume you guys are referring to the routine that is a sticky up the top of this page, right??
    yea its SwoleCats Leg routine..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Sounds good. I started off with a puny 135 and then went up to 185 for the rest of the sets. I used to be able to get 225 for it, but that was my 4th week doing it awhile back. More of a conditioning thing than a strength thing.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure in the weeks ahead my conditioning will improve (and of course my legs) I forgot how much harder it is with the 5 sets of leg ext/leg curls supersetted right before. Thanks again for the help.
    Doing this as your core leg training makes bigger lifts easier. (heavier squats and other lifts as well)

Those who practice only 3-6 reps on squats would fall into a coma trying to do all of the pre-exhausting and Vo2 conditioning the program gives you. If you think very heavy squats are tough, medium weight squats moving that weight 3-4 times MORE per set, is really tough. Legs tend to respond better to higher reps due to muscle fiber make-up in "most" people. Some will always be an exception to the rule, but that is the case for any lifting style/movement.

~SC~

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Doing this as your core leg training makes bigger lifts easier. (heavier squats and other lifts as well)

Those who practice only 3-6 reps on squats would fall into a coma trying to do all of the pre-exhausting and Vo2 conditioning the program gives you. If you think very heavy squats are tough, medium weight squats moving that weight 3-4 times MORE per set, is really tough. Legs tend to respond better to higher reps due to muscle fiber make-up in "most" people. Some will always be an exception to the rule, but that is the case for any lifting style/movement.

~SC~

Definately true, my bench, row, and, dead's are all major exercises for me and all are going up dramatically. they even escalated before i started my PP. but the squatting routine will definately give you an advantage with heavy lifts along with oxygen delivery because of the strength and power of the movement.

im completely clean so that wouldnt be my problem unless creatine/ red kat causes that also but i dont think it does

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    yep sc's leg protocol is pretty pimp to do for a 4 week system shock

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    Thats for sure. I really haven't gone that high in reps very often the past few months on squats. Thats what it was so hard on me. I'm def. going to stick with it, Im looking forward to the results similar to last time.

Oh and Im natural, mealticket

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I pretty much do this every week.. I just had leg day today and used this method and I can barely walk now. I hate it and love it all at the same time.

~Old

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    nothing makes tai splode like a HEAVY LEG DAY though

Thread Information