Question How do you make your calves groww???

What exercises?

What rep range?

How often to work them out?

Any special teqniques?

???????????

kyjelly is offline Banned
    Standing and Seated Calf Raises. If you want to gain mass, do high weight with low reps. if you want endurance, low weight, high reps. good strength/mass is usually about 6-10 reps %max to failure, meaning you can only do 8 and no more for that set with that weight. Or, get Jump Soles or the Strength Shoe and they come with a nice workout. I have Jump Soles and was faithful to the workout, and I have a good 40 inch vertical...lol and Im white.

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjelly
    Standing and Seated Calf Raises. If you want to gain mass, do high weight with low reps. if you want endurance, low weight, high reps. good strength/mass is usually about 6-10 reps %max to failure, meaning you can only do 8 and no more for that set with that weight. Or, get Jump Soles or the Strength Shoe and they come with a nice workout. I have Jump Soles and was faithful to the workout, and I have a good 40 inch vertical...lol and Im white.
    40 inch verticle? I want to see a vid. How tall and old are you, and what sports do you play?

timtim is offline Member
    you have to train your gastroc and soleus as they are supposed to be. one is a lower rep extremely high weight regiment and the other is the slow and controlled reps for long periods of time. standing should be super heavy for sets of 10 to 12 while seated should be 10 reps, 20 reps, 30 reps, whatever you van handle with varied tempos, like 10 second contrentric, 10 second eccentric, 3 sec holds at the top and bottom. these are just examples but the 2 calf muscles should be trained independently of each other for greatest gains. calves are very difficult to add mass to, might want to look up programs made for this.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    jump rope, do seated raises with heavy weight.... and make sure you are shocking your entire legs with squats and deadlifts in your routine...

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    stretch between those sets...

i do heavy weights 6-8 reps, then finish with 60% of the heaviest to failure.. standing raises..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    i lived in majorca last summer, and whilst there i befriended a past competitive bodybuilder who had very well-muscled legs. we chatted alot and he gave me some training methods he has used. some didnt work out for me, but one in particular really did. i had (and still have) crappy calves, very thin ankles and not alot of muscle mass on my legs. he suggested training calves 5 days a week (each day i was in the gym) and do 10 sets, of 10 reps for calves. so, standing calf raises, 5 x 10 reps, about 30-45 seconds rest between each set, then repeat, only with seated calf raises. altho my calves are not massive by any means, the improvement was dramatic, and now they are pretty defined, and nobody could say i have no calves. i still use this method sometimes, but i train calves 3 times a week now instead of 5, seems to work better for me, mite do the trick for you

NOREGRETS is offline Senior Member
    Seated and standing calf raises with heavy weight. Remember each calf is comfortable with supporting your body weight, so if you weight 200lbs., 400lbs of weight would be considered normal stress for both calves. It would be hard to grow your calfs without stressing them with more weight than there use too. This rule applies more to standing then seated calf raises. Heavvvvvy weight, low reps.

uuumm, im 18 and play basketball, football, and run track...never dunked till this year....only 5'11'', 6ish...but ive been in sports all my life.

Quote Originally Posted by kyjelly
    uuumm, im 18 and play basketball, football, and run track...never dunked till this year....only 5'11'', 6ish...but ive been in sports all my life.
    Thats awesome bro. Id love to be able to jump that high. How high could you jump before the program? I have stregnth shoes, but never got around to doing an actual program with them.

Its funny, but what I found works well for my calves is too do my cardio on an incline, then when Im done run and do a high rep set of standing calf raises before I leave. I get an awesome pump.

Well, not quite to sure, always been active. lol it actually took me awhile to start the program when I first got them, but the jump soles put a good 12 inchs on me. I also had previously taking some "jump" class thingy with my school...pure leg work stuff...which added on some major inches...

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    i think ronnie coleman's favorite technique is site injections lol...poor black people and their high rise calves...wait f*ck black people they have bigger penises. work em twice a week 2 warmup sets and 4 working sets each time...seated calf raises, standing calf raises, and donkey calf raises.

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    i think ronnie coleman's favorite technique is site injections lol...poor black people and their high rise calves...wait f*ck black people they have bigger penises. work em twice a week 2 warmup sets and 4 working sets each time...seated calf raises, standing calf raises, and donkey calf raises.
    WTF????

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    It's true, though! My calves are high as hell, even though they have a decent size they don't look as impressive as some of my white (German) friends. Good thing I have a big dick.

primetime1 is offline Member
    as for hittin the calf muscles, when doing any of your sets on what ever exersise you do, make sure to rotate your toes, meanin one set toes straight, one set toes out(heels together) one set toes in (heels out) from what ive read this is supposed to hit the entire calve and force more blood in there, as we would do different grips to hitt different areas of our backs. same concept here. its in arnolds encyclopedia, im pretty sure thats where i got it from as its been a while doing these.. but they work nice.
    enjoy

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by freak_of_nature_86
    What exercises?

What rep range?

How often to work them out?

Any special teqniques?

???????????
    seated or standing calf raises

range 15 to 20 reps

1 to 2 times a wk

add in some jump rope for a few sets when you are finished and thats all you need

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    really focus on what your doing at the time, dont sit there and bounce up and down and think your calves are gonna grow. Slow negatives and explode up, really focus on sqeezing the shit out of them at the top of the rep. I like donkey raises myself but standing are good too.

lil'Taylor is offline Tied up by WEBB
    Quote Originally Posted by timtim
    you have to train your gastroc and soleus as they are supposed to be. one is a lower rep extremely high weight regiment and the other is the slow and controlled reps for long periods of time. standing should be super heavy for sets of 10 to 12 while seated should be 10 reps, 20 reps, 30 reps, whatever you van handle with varied tempos, like 10 second contrentric, 10 second eccentric, 3 sec holds at the top and bottom. these are just examples but the 2 calf muscles should be trained independently of each other for greatest gains. calves are very difficult to add mass to, might want to look up programs made for this.
    yea, it's true.. but if you have the same problem as me.. my soleus mm are huge and my gastrocs are the ones with the work.. so if this seems to be your problem.. cut the soleus shit and stick to gastrocs... so in other words.. leave out seated calve raises.. thats because your gastrocs cross your knee joint ans your soleus doesnt so... with an extended knee, although you are working the soleus some, your targeting gastrocs...

good luck man, i feel your pain... damn calves

lil'Taylor is offline Tied up by WEBB
    oh.. and do it every day... or every time you go to the gym... it's pretty harmless to work your calves daily (or close to it) as opposed to other muscles

Thread Information