MartyMcFly is offline Senior Member

How much cardio?

I know cardio at 65% on an empty stomach is supposed to burn fat off but how long can you do it in one session for before the law of diminishing returns sets in. I do my for 45 min which is really 30 mins because it takes 5 to get to my heart rate and then I cool off for another 5. I Would do it for 2 hours at a time but I guess that will start eating muscle. I am doing it 3 times a week now but Mon I am starting the Iron Man HIT so I can do cardio 4 days a week. If I could go longer than 45 mins that would be great but I want to keep as much muscle as possible.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    you should be ok going for around an hour, and maybe keep the heart rate between 60-65% when doing it 4 days a week for an hour or so...

Giants11 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    45-60 min is perfect

livewire57 is offline Associate Member
    Jesus how do you stay on the treadmill that long? I know it is useless to do cardio unless you do it for at least 45 min but I can't make myself do it that long, what motivates you or keeps you busy while you do it?

kyjelly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire57
    Jesus how do you stay on the treadmill that long? I know it is useless to do cardio unless you do it for at least 45 min but I can't make myself do it that long, what motivates you or keeps you busy while you do it?

I just run off the motivation of...hell yeah...Ill be looking great in no time! 2 months later..Im looking rather sexy...and now...Im just staying sexy haha

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    I agree with 45 - 60 mins.

Act of God is offline Member
    Someone at my gym (bodybuilder) told me that you can get away with doing 15-20 minutes right at the end of the workout. He actually came up to me and said I was doing too much cardio (I would come in the afternoon and do cardio, then back at night for weights).

I wish I had a definitive answer on this shit.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Act of God
    Someone at my gym (bodybuilder) told me that you can get away with doing 15-20 minutes right at the end of the workout. He actually came up to me and said I was doing too much cardio (I would come in the afternoon and do cardio, then back at night for weights).

I wish I had a definitive answer on this shit.
    if you're trying to gain mass, i wouldn't do both in the same day, but if you're maintaining or cutting, 15 mins after a workout wouldn't hurt IMO...

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    all depens on your body type how fast youe metabolizism is and how well your diet is put togather i have seen plenty of pepole get shreded just doing sprints and running bleachers and never touching a peice of cardio equipment

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    if you're trying to gain mass, i wouldn't do both in the same day, but if you're maintaining or cutting, 15 mins after a workout wouldn't hurt IMO...

i am under the impresssion that you are most anabolic right after you lift and need to get your pwo shake right after you lift so cardio is out of the question and 15 mins would be okay at the beginning. But I like yto do it on an empty stomach.

If you are refering to the 2 hrs I do not do that. 45 min is easy especially with an ECY stack I am the slowest person on the ellipticals I only need my HR to be around 127 for 65%.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    i do 30mins precor before i workout around noon, than run about 2, 8 min miles in a local park with my dog. ive lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks and have been living on fish and very few carbs before i work out but its paying off bigtime, dont appear to be loosing any muscle mostly just fat, ill have before and after pics pretty soon.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned

motivation=
    health
    easier to relax
    generally more easy going
    endorphins
    better state of mind
    more years alive
    more appealing to the eye (of a female)
    confidence
    more sex
    benefits for all areas of life that require physical labor
    the motivation is virtually infinite, usually the more time your able to break through sticky points, the more your rewarded, and the more motivation you acquire which is how exercise in itself become addicting

if all else fails, get an mp3 player. load it with dance music, club music, techno or anything you love thats fast paced, i usually turn it up and fall into a state when im running where i feel hypnotized and its one of the best natural highs in the world.. pushing your body to the absolute max.

Thread Information