pelly789 is offline Member

wrist locks or wraps?

i was watching a video today, a shoulder routine, and i realized i have a very big flaw in my lifting that i never realized before, when i am pressing anything my wrists are never inline with my arm they are always bent back, and ive been lifting like that as far as i can remember, which is really bad and no wonder my wrists have been hurting me more lately because ive been doing more weight than i ever have before. i was wondering if anyone had any information on wrist locks or wraps ive used wraps a couple times before but my wrists could still bend back a little bit, so im more interested in the locks. does anyone know what a good pair to buy is? thanks for the help guys

i was thinking about these:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sck/wrist.html

p.s. you learn something new everyday

barbndr is offline Junior Member
    Not sure that you really want to lock the wrists with equipment. If your wrists are injured now from bad form, then wraps or supports may be the answer to allow them to heal. However, if they just get sore after lifting, I would try to correct the form without supports. The problem with supports of any kind is that in most cases they take a significant load off the structure that is supposed to provide the support (ie muscle/tendon & ligament). You might want to try the same technique that some people use with their lifting belts and wear them only on the heaviest lifts or in your case the weights in which you cannot maintain the wrist in a neutral position. Work hard on the form without the support to strengthen the wrist joints only using wraps when necessary. Hopefully you can progress to not wearing them at all. The upside is that you should actually be stronger with the wrist in neutral because it keeps the weight a direct line of force.

thanks for your response barbndr, im going to take your advice and try to maybe lessen the load if i have to to maintain good form in my wrists too, after being on this website and taking a class on weight lifting, even after 4 years of training i realize alot of flaws i have in my training but thats besides the point i will try and fix my form without any support but if i cant get a good lift in like that then i will get some wraps thanks agian

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    If you do decide to get some wraps I like Inzer stuff pretty well they seem to have some pretty durable pratical styles I switched to them because my harbring stuff wasn't as good

cool thanks for the heads up blue, i would have probaly bought harbinger because they seem to be a pretty good name in lifting accessories i have theyre straps but i never use them so i dont really know how good they are

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly789
    cool thanks for the heads up blue, i would have probaly bought harbinger because they seem to be a pretty good name in lifting accessories i have theyre straps but i never use them so i dont really know how good they are
    no prob dude anytime

bombguy is offline Associate Member
    I had a set of harbinger wraps that I used for DB presses, but only when it got heavy. It was more of a mental aid than anything else. they worked out pretty good.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I use wraps when going heavy, too, but mostly b/c my wrists are weak (broke one b4)

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I use wrist wraps alot. I have 12" wraps for squat (bad for wrists and shoulders for the big guys), push presses/mil press, and heavy curling. I have 20" wraps for bench press. Most powerlifting feds dont allow any wrist wraps over 36".

Stackt007 is offline Associate Member
    I was thinking about getting one cause my grip keeps slipping when goiin heavy

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbndr
    Not sure that you really want to lock the wrists with equipment. If your wrists are injured now from bad form, then wraps or supports may be the answer to allow them to heal. However, if they just get sore after lifting, I would try to correct the form without supports. The problem with supports of any kind is that in most cases they take a significant load off the structure that is supposed to provide the support (ie muscle/tendon & ligament). You might want to try the same technique that some people use with their lifting belts and wear them only on the heaviest lifts or in your case the weights in which you cannot maintain the wrist in a neutral position. Work hard on the form without the support to strengthen the wrist joints only using wraps when necessary. Hopefully you can progress to not wearing them at all. The upside is that you should actually be stronger with the wrist in neutral because it keeps the weight a direct line of force.
    good advice here. you should not be using any kind of wrist support cause that will only make your problem worse. you need to strengthen those muscles, which means avoiding anything that could take any work away from them (aka wraps). focus on your wrists through the movements and make sure to keep them locked in the right position. in time, it will become normal to you and you won't have to focus so much.

you might also want to try some direct forearm work to strengthen the wrist. forearm curls with barbell/dumbell, and reverse forearm curls. this will make it easier to keep the wrist stabilized by strengthening the forearm and wrist muscles.

boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    ^^ I'm all for strengthenig the wrist muscles, but it would be beneficial to use wrist wraps when going very heavy on benching. I would highly suggest Inzer wraps. When you see someone benching 600lbs with wrist wraps I wouldn't exactly call them limp-wristed, just precautionary.

Thread Information