diamonds is offline Banned

My new Ironman HIT routine

Alright bros, I'm getting ready to run Ironman's HIT routine for my SD cycle. I have chosen the exercises that work best for me.

The following is the Ironman HIT routine that I will be running. Please feel free to comment or make suggestions.

Ironmans HIT Training Program

Workout days: Mon., Wed., Fri.
    -alternate workout every time

-Rest 3 min. between sets (only 45 seconds on warm-ups)
    -Rest 5 min. between body parts

warm-up sets: (should not be fatiguing)
    2 sets: 1 light (15 reps) + 1 moderate (6-8 reps)

working sets
    3 sets: (reach for failure on last set)
    Upper Body: B,C,A routine
    Legs: A,B,C routine

WEEKS 1-3

WORKOUT A - (3 sets each body part)
    Chest: compound movement (flat or incline press)
    Shoulders: over-head compound movement (dumbbell press/ military)
    Triceps: close grip bench or French press
    Traps: Shrugs
    Abs

WORKOUT B – (3 sets each body part)
    Back Width: pulldowns or chin ups
    Back Thickness: rows (seated or bent)
    Biceps: barbell or dumbbell curls
    Calves: standing calf raises
    Quads: squats
    Hamstrings: leg curls (standing)

WEEKS 4-6

WORKOUT A - (3 sets each body part)
    *should not be able to reach desired rep range on last set. Do modified rest pause (10-15 seconds) in order to hit desired reps.
    Chest: compound movement (flat or incline press)
    Shoulders: over-head compound movement (dumbbell press/ military)
    Back Width: pulldowns or chin ups
    Back Thickness: rows (seated or bent)
    Traps: Shrugs
    Abs

WORKOUT B – (3 sets each body part)
    *should not be able to reach desired rep range on last set. Do modified rest pause (10-15 seconds) in order to hit desired reps.
    Triceps: close grip bench or French press
    Biceps: barbell or dumbbell curls
    Calves: standing calf raises
    Quads: squats
    Hamstrings: leg curls (standing)

*After 6 weeks take 10 days off
    *Do 2 six week cycles then go to 4 week cutting phase
    Last edited by diamonds; 04-13-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Nobody huh?

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    hey looks good, will you do me a favor and keep a log of your weights and your strength increases throughout the cycle? i am very curious as a buddy of mine is going to do the exact same thing

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    and remember traps are the same thing as legs as A, B, C

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    your last 3 weeks the arrangement is wak.. u should flop the order not change days...

and i would reccomend overhead db tri ext's for tri's instead of close grip since ur doing a simliar motion on flat bench.

you can look in my log .. last couple pages i am doin an IM HIT training regiment..

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    your last 3 weeks the arrangement is wak.. u should flop the order not change days...
    This is a quote from Iromans HIT routine

NOTE: Once again lets go over the importance of changing the routine split on weeks 4-6. Failure to do the split as I have it set up will result in less than optimal results. Training arms while fresh (not after upper torso movements) during weeks 4,5, and 6 always brings forth new growth to the bi's and tri's by using a SLING SHOT approach. Newly found strength will be brought to the arms, an obvious weak link when trying to get stronger on compound movements in the upper torso such as presses and rows.

During this time frame (weeks 4,5, and 6 your push pull split will change to the following because the push-pull split is too demanding on the system as a whole when rest-pause is incorporated and the change is needed to provide the SLINGSHOT approach we just discussed. :

Monday: Chest, shoulders, lats, traps, abs

Wednesday: Biceps,triceps, rotators, calves, quads,hams.

Friday: Same as monday and so on.

bro i think ur missreading something. TRAINING ARMS .. i.e. BI then Tri in proper days accordingly . your doin it in a manner to pre'exhaust the bi prior to bpulling motinos and pre'exhaus the tri' in pressing motions

let me show you.

FIRST 3 WEEKS, training arrangement

Training A: Chest, Traps, shoulders, tris, abs

Training B: Row, LatPull, Squats, Curls, calves

Last 3 weeks NEW ARRANGEMENT

Training A: Tris, Shoulders, Traps, Chest, abs

Training B: Curs, squats, LatPull, Row, calves

THE WHOLE objective is to alternate the ORDER OF PRE'EXHAUSTION.. not totaly change your training regiment for each day by swapping days.

Taiboxa,
    I understand what you are saying but look how Ironman has it lined out. Look at his workout schedule for week one, then look at how he changes it in weeks 4-6. He swaps the days of back and triceps. This is exactly what I have done. Did he line it out wrong?

MONDAY: (WEEK 1)

Chest: One compound movement for chest. I have found the 15 degree decline or incline press to be the best for most but some like flat bench presses.

Shoulders: One over head compound pressing movement like dumbell presses or a smith machine, etc.

Triceps: Close grips or lying tricep extensions if your elbow joint can handle them..

Traps: Shrugs.

ABS: weighted crunches or weighted cable reverse cruches : Do a higher rep range on abs so the lower back is not injured.

WEDNESDAY:

Back width: pulldowns or better yet chin ups.

Back thickness: rows

biceps: dumbell curls..Avoid heavy concentrated curls such as one arm spider curls as they can rip the tendon/muscle clean from the bone.

calves: standing calf raises "not the seated version" as they are for the soleus.

quads: squats

hams : leg curls

FRIDAY: Same as mondays workout

(WEEK 2)

Monday: SAME AS WEDNESDAY ON WEEK ONE AND SO ON.

NOTE: Once again lets go over the importance of changing the routine split on weeks 4-6. Failure to do the split as I have it set up will result in less than optimal results. Training arms while fresh (not after upper torso movements) during weeks 4,5, and 6 always brings forth new growth to the bi's and tri's by using a SLING SHOT approach. Newly found strength will be brought to the arms, an obvious weak link when trying to get stronger on compound movements in the upper torso such as presses and rows. (Expect to come back much stronger on the compound movements when you return to start the 6 week cycle all over again due to the strength you have gained in the arms by training them in a different manner all together in conjuction with delayes forced reps). Expect to stuggle a bit more during weeks 4, 5, and 6 when trying to increase weight in the compound movements because the arms will only be given 1 full day of rest instead of three as with the push-pull split and expect to stuggle more with trying to get the arm strength up during the push-pull phase when the arms are being pre-fatigued with compound exercises. However this SLINGSHOT approach is necessary to break plateaus in both "upper torso" and "arm" strength. During this time frame (weeks 4,5, and 6 your push pull split will change to the following because the push-pull split is too demanding on the system as a whole when rest-pause is incorporated and the change is needed to provide the SLINGSHOT approach we just discussed. :

Wednesday: Biceps, triceps, rotators, calves, quads,hams.

Last edited by diamonds; 04-17-2006 at 04:24 PM.

aaronswt84 is offline Associate Member
    diamonds did you ever get your question answered, I read the same thing your saying. Also would it hurt to do abs mon/wed/fri workout A do ball crunchs, no weight stuff, then workout be do weighted workouts like rope crunch?

Quote Originally Posted by diamonds
    Taiboxa,
    I understand what you are saying but look how Ironman has it lined out. Look at his workout schedule for week one, then look at how he changes it in weeks 4-6. He swaps the days of back and triceps. This is exactly what I have done. Did he line it out wrong?

MONDAY: (WEEK 1)

Chest: One compound movement for chest. I have found the 15 degree decline or incline press to be the best for most but some like flat bench presses.

Shoulders: One over head compound pressing movement like dumbell presses or a smith machine, etc.

Triceps: Close grips or lying tricep extensions if your elbow joint can handle them..

Traps: Shrugs.

ABS: weighted crunches or weighted cable reverse cruches : Do a higher rep range on abs so the lower back is not injured.

WEDNESDAY:

Back width: pulldowns or better yet chin ups.

Back thickness: rows

biceps: dumbell curls..Avoid heavy concentrated curls such as one arm spider curls as they can rip the tendon/muscle clean from the bone.

calves: standing calf raises "not the seated version" as they are for the soleus.

quads: squats

hams : leg curls

FRIDAY: Same as mondays workout

(WEEK 2)

Monday: SAME AS WEDNESDAY ON WEEK ONE AND SO ON.

NOTE: Once again lets go over the importance of changing the routine split on weeks 4-6. Failure to do the split as I have it set up will result in less than optimal results. Training arms while fresh (not after upper torso movements) during weeks 4,5, and 6 always brings forth new growth to the bi's and tri's by using a SLING SHOT approach. Newly found strength will be brought to the arms, an obvious weak link when trying to get stronger on compound movements in the upper torso such as presses and rows. (Expect to come back much stronger on the compound movements when you return to start the 6 week cycle all over again due to the strength you have gained in the arms by training them in a different manner all together in conjuction with delayes forced reps). Expect to stuggle a bit more during weeks 4, 5, and 6 when trying to increase weight in the compound movements because the arms will only be given 1 full day of rest instead of three as with the push-pull split and expect to stuggle more with trying to get the arm strength up during the push-pull phase when the arms are being pre-fatigued with compound exercises. However this SLINGSHOT approach is necessary to break plateaus in both "upper torso" and "arm" strength. During this time frame (weeks 4,5, and 6 your push pull split will change to the following because the push-pull split is too demanding on the system as a whole when rest-pause is incorporated and the change is needed to provide the SLINGSHOT approach we just discussed. :

Wednesday: Biceps, triceps, rotators, calves, quads,hams.

well awlbee.. i retract my statement.. everything i have heard/read has lead up to the belief of switching the order only.. not moving excercises to different days.

either way i have had outstanding success w/ the protocol i have fallowed and prevoisly stated.

primetime1 is offline Member
    good thread man, actually shed some light on my IM HIT im doin now also.

aaronswt84 is offline Associate Member
    I like the hit method, just hate sitting around for 3 mins b/t sets and 5 mins b/t muscle groups, so much sitting

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    The rest is much needed when doing a training program similar to above. It'll be time for the next set and you'll want to wait another minute or so.
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

I will have to admit that I was skeptical about doing this routine. I had previously been lifting each BP only once per week. I made exceptional gains using that method but as I get older (32) it seems that I can't continue to grow like I used to. I just seemed to maintain what I had.
    That being said....
    The other day my tricep workout consisted of 2 warm-ups and 3 working sets of overhead DB presses. Set 1: (working) 110 X 10
    Set 2: (working) 130 X 5
    Set 3: (working) 95 X 13

By this point my triceps were in excruciating pain. The burn was like nothing ever before. My triceps were sore for 4 friggin days. It wasn't due to a new exercise or rep scheme either. I have been doing these forever just not with the same intensity therefor the need for 2 more exercises to accomplish what I can now do in just one exercise!
    My arm are currently 18 1/2 inches cold so I'm hoping to hit the 19 inch club.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonds
    I will have to admit that I was skeptical about doing this routine. I had previously been lifting each BP only once per week. I made exceptional gains using that method but as I get older (32) it seems that I can't continue to grow like I used to. I just seemed to maintain what I had.
    That being said....
    The other day my tricep workout consisted of 2 warm-ups and 3 working sets of overhead DB presses. Set 1: (working) 110 X 10
    Set 2: (working) 130 X 5
    Set 3: (working) 95 X 13

By this point my triceps were in excruciating pain. The burn was like nothing ever before. My triceps were sore for 4 friggin days. It wasn't due to a new exercise or rep scheme either. I have been doing these forever just not with the same intensity therefor the need for 2 more exercises to accomplish what I can now do in just one exercise!
    My arm are currently 18 1/2 inches cold so I'm hoping to hit the 19 inch club.
    i know how that went.. first time i started this regiemtn i swear it knocked 20% off me bench by changing order for me...
    as far as doing arms first goes.. after 1-2 weeks my body adapted and it wasnt such a restraint factor

drinu is offline Junior Member
    Any One Still On This Routine ??
    If Yes How Is It Going

i been on it for long time but mine is modified a lil and i love it

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    Ive been reading up on it, im going to make the switch from 1BP a week to HIT really soon. MY question is tho, has anyone successfully incorperated deadlifts into an HIT? I know it is talked about in the sticky, but I feel it would hurt the overall workout by making me too sore to complete some of the other exercises well?

Quote Originally Posted by -DedicateD-
    Ive been reading up on it, im going to make the switch from 1BP a week to HIT really soon. MY question is tho, has anyone successfully incorperated deadlifts into an HIT? I know it is talked about in the sticky, but I feel it would hurt the overall workout by making me too sore to complete some of the other exercises well?
    yes i have.
    i will do them INPLACE of Traps on chest day.
    since deds destroy my traps i felt it an adaquate replacement but i only do 1 warm up and 2 working sets kuz thats all my energy expenditure will allow then finish the last set w/ shrugs

yes i have.
    i will do them INPLACE of Traps on chest day.
    since deds destroy my traps i felt it an adaquate replacement but i only do 1 warm up and 2 working sets kuz thats all my energy expenditure will allow then finish the last set w/ shrugs
    thats not a bad idea at all, do you find that the deads effect your back workout the next day tho? maybe ur lats, hams will not necesarily get sore, but will they be at a weakend state due to the deads the day b4?

nope never had a prob w/ it at all

Motion is offline Associate Member
    I've been doing a slightly modified version of this for about 4 weeks now and have definitely noticed an increase in strength for sure.

Mine looks like this:

Workout A
    Chest
    -Flat Bench
    -Incline Bench
    Shoulders
    -Press
    -Laterals
    Tri's
    -Laying extension
    -Skullcrushers

Workout B
    Legs
    -Squat
    -Calf Raises/Leg pulls
    Back
    -Deadlift
    -Lats
    Bi's
    -Curl
    -Iso Curl

nope never had a prob w/ it at all
    sounds like a plan to me then, im most likely going to start on monday, may even start my first workout log...i never have tracked any of the weights or exercises ive done in the past

Quote Originally Posted by -DedicateD-
    sounds like a plan to me then, im most likely going to start on monday, may even start my first workout log...i never have tracked any of the weights or exercises ive done in the past
    helps .. ALOT

drinu is offline Junior Member
    post your cutting routine when you are on it ,

will you be doing double power drop sets too ?

Surrender is offline Banned
    bro i think ur missreading something. TRAINING ARMS .. i.e. BI then Tri in proper days accordingly . your doin it in a manner to pre'exhaust the bi prior to bpulling motinos and pre'exhaus the tri' in pressing motions

let me show you.

FIRST 3 WEEKS, training arrangement

Training A: Chest, Traps, shoulders, tris, abs

Training B: Row, LatPull, Squats, Curls, calves

Last 3 weeks NEW ARRANGEMENT

Training A: Tris, Shoulders, Traps, Chest, abs

Training B: Curs, squats, LatPull, Row, calves

THE WHOLE objective is to alternate the ORDER OF PRE'EXHAUSTION.. not totaly change your training regiment for each day by swapping days.
    I'm sorry TAI but this is incorrect. I personally help Iron Man on all of his boards.
    Ist three Weeks all in order

Mon: Chest, Shoulders, tri's, traps
    Wed: Back width, back thickness, Bi's, Calves, Quads and Hams
    Fri: Repeat Mon

2nd Three Weeks

Mon: Chest, shoulders, Back width, back thickness and Traps
    Wed: Bi's, Tri's, Calves, Quads and Hams.

The last set on all exercises is rest pause also during the last three weeks. Exception is squats, heavy rows and deadlifts of any type.
    Last edited by Surrender; 05-25-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrender
    I'm sorry TAI but this is incorrect. I personally help Iron Man on all of his boards.
    Ist three Weeks all in order

Mon: Chest, Shoulders, tri's, traps
    Wed: Back width, back thickness, Bi's, Calves, Quads and Hams

2nd Three Weeks

Mon: Chest, shoulders, Back width, back thickness and Traps
    Wed: Bi's, Tri's, Calves, Quads and Hams.

The last set on all exercises is rest pause also during the last three weeks. Exception is squats, heavy rows and deadlifts of any type.
    well awsome job- way to read past post 10, anyways the modifications that i have made to my liking work far more effectively for me- thus i have a tendency to preach those methods when discussion of IMHIT is present, due to habit. i just have a tendency to alter things to my liking and no disrespect to IM but usually the amendments/modifications i make usually bring about greater gains to others as well as myself.

i know that training bi/tri together is beneficial in respect to the negative on the antagonist muscle being worked but i have found/felt that a pre'exhaustion of bi on back session and tri on chest session to be far more beneficial to me. i have also found that deads are by far the most effective manner to train traps- IMO as almost ANY PLer/Strong man will advocate. and in some cases legs can be moved to chest tri day and traps can be moved to back day to incorp deadlifts in a much more effective coinciding regiment

I just have a tendency to alter things to my liking and no disrespect to IM but usually the amendments/modifications i make usually bring about greater gains to others as well as myself.
    And so do I. I use a med, low and high rep scheme on all my sets. The difference is I don't use 6-10, 2-5, 11-15. I use a 8,4,12 and add weight the next time the same exercise rolls around.

But what I was getting at is that a first timer on the program should stick to the order I/M put out and then tweak it like you and I did after several months of using the routine.

Motion is offline Associate Member
    I think I'm doing mine wrong. I've been pyramiding my working sets like 10-8-6, uping the weight each time. Looks like I should be lightening the load and going for high reps on the last set???

Quote Originally Posted by Motion
    I think I'm doing mine wrong. I've been pyramiding my working sets like 10-8-6, uping the weight each time. Looks like I should be lightening the load and going for high reps on the last set???
    the sets should look like this. 11-15, 6-10 and 2-5. He does ask that you try to use the med, low and high as he feels you get more out of it. So 6-10, 2-5 and 11-15 on most exercises.

Ronnie Rowland aka Iron Man

Mr. Rowlands Iron man forum has been taken down at Iron magazine. They found him not to be who he said he was.

Do a search on Ronnie Rowland and you'll see who Iron Man is. This guy doesn't have 30 years of training experience like he said he does. In 1997 he was a skinny liitle guy before ever training.

Most of his answer's came from his best friend Dewayne aka Mr. Biceps who is a personal trainer and his best friend. They share houses on the same lot.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

It was I, Ronnie Rowland who developed the original Ironman Hit not the man who pertrayed himself as IRONMAN. This low-life took my ideas and added things to the original I do not feel is user friendly for most.

My recommedations are to drop the rest-pause altogether and keep the heavy sets between 4-8 reps and you should do okay. It would be wise to ignore most of the steroid advise IRONMAN handed out along with the posted routine.

I have a new 3 day per week system called the Slingshot Training System to be released in the future and this routine that out-perfoms my original Ironman Hit and most certainly trumps the version posted on this website. My biggest concerns with the routine posted by IRONMAN is injury and over-training.

Please pm me if you have any additional questions.
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 09-30-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Dobie-BOY is offline Senior Member
    slingshot training system huh? Im gonna check into that.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobie-BOY
    slingshot training system huh? Im gonna check into that.
    Dobie-Boy, you won't find the Slingshot Training System on the internet until the book is released. It has to do with copyrighting. I would gladly hand out my routine for eveyone to see, but I had to sign a contract saying I would keep the routine confidential until the release of my book next summer.
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 09-02-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Thread Information