MilitiaGuy is offline Banned

pushup for military test

I have a military test in 50 days , to get a very good grade I have to do
    70 pushups
    100 situps
    20 pullups
    run 3 miles in 15 min

anybody knows a good technic to increase my pushups?
    some of my friends told me to quit doing push exercise(like bensh press, shoulder press ect...) so I dont overtrain the muscle and keep the strenght for the pushups.

spencer is offline i gotta S on ma chest
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaGuy
    70 pushups
    100 situps
    20 pullups
    run 3 miles in 15 min

some of my friends told me to quit doing push exercise(like bensh press, shoulder press ect...) so I dont overtrain the muscle and keep the strenght for the pushups.
    3miles in 15min, fvcking hell. i have to do a mile n half in 9 n half min for selection test and i thought that was hard

Quote Originally Posted by spencer
    3miles in 15min, fvcking hell. i have to do a mile n half in 9 n half min for selection test and i thought that was hard
    I can do it in 18 min but no way in 15 thats why I want to do good in the pushups

I can do it in 18 min but no way in 15 thats why I want to do good in the pushups
    all that i say is stick to doing pushups. but im not sure. i do pullups and pushups every day at moment. my max on pullups is 16 an my selection test is 10 so

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    When it comes to push ups dont worry about overtraining, you are going for endurance not size. Do push ups everyday, 3 times a day. You should be able to hit 70 with ease. How many you at now?

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    dam! 5k in 15 min!

70 pushup ain't that bad. yah, what are you at now? I wouldn't worry about bench press too much. to get good at pushups you just gotta do them

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Purchase The Special Ops Workout by CSCS Mike Mejia and USN (Seal) Stewart Smith. They have workouts that will help you reach your goals. I have this book and highly recommend it.

I can only do 40 now but I am doing my best to reach 70 , maybe I will try the 3 times a day routine

I can only do 40 now but I am doing my best to reach 70 , maybe I will try the 3 times a day routine
    good luck mate im currently on 48 pushups. cant beat that yet

mcpeepants is offline Senior Member
    whoa that's a really fast 3 mile time. Know one at my high school country team could run that.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer
    good luck mate im currently on 48 pushups. cant beat that yet
    I feel that the pushup is mental and it depend on the CNS more than muscles thats why its mandatory in the army, so I will do my best to beat it!

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    that's a good book papi recommended.

you can also try doing 3 sets of your max. I did this for a while, and can punch out around 80-90 np

keith3582 is offline New Member
    what PT test are you taking, one for Lebanon army?? im airborne infantry in the army and our PT arent like that. 2 minute PU, 2 minute SU and 2 mile run is the PT test for the US army. i find the best way to increase push ups is to get strong on delts and chest exercises. its all technique too. i can do 94 in 2 minutes, that is our goal as a paratrooper.

TexN343 is offline Associate Member
    I have my mind set on becoming a Marine because the fact that their boot camp is the hardest. In what other ways could I push myself military wise.

ruffnready is offline New Member
    70 pushups
    100 situps
    20 pullups
    run 3 miles in 15 min

What kind of test is this for if you don't mind me asking?? Even thou it isn't right some higher ups might just be telling you that you need these scores to pass just to give you motivation to make sure you do get the score you really need.
    If you need help with your pushups I suggest doing different kinds of elevated pushups and a ton of diamonds.. Also doing dips w/o any weight for endurance using a few chairs that you have laying around..

kyjelly is offline Banned
    Its all about endurance, and what I read above, dont worry about over-training in pushups/situps/pullups

Also, that book stated above, I have it too, and its an excellenct book, wether military or just wanna get in shape, that book will turn you into a robot.

Do the pushups/situps/pullups everyday, and run 3 miles 3 days a week, and slowly increase the miles each week or 2.

Back when I ran cross country, I did 3 in 14:48, yeah, it is hell, but at some point, when people think its "endurance", it really becomes mind over matter.

Good luck with it all buddy, and stay strong, mentally and physically...

keith3582 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexN343
    I have my mind set on becoming a Marine because the fact that their boot camp is the hardest. In what other ways could I push myself military wise.
    Run at least 12 miles a week to stay cardio fit. Go to the gym and stay strong. Boot camp isnt really about PT, it is to train you to become a soldier and to be a team player and to think under stress. PT is just icing on the cake.

chest6 is offline Banned
    3 miles in 15 minutes holy hell! The others sound pretty easy but good lord..3 miles in 15 minutes forget that

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    3 miles in 15 minutes holy hell! The others sound pretty easy but good lord..3 miles in 15 minutes forget that

yeah its pretty sick...I couldnt see the big "bulky" guys doing it. But Im just nice and fit. I can still probably hit it under 16 min. give or take few secs....

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    a 5 minute mile? the fastest i ever ran a mile was a shade under 8 minutes and i thought that was damn good. why such a fast pace? wouldnt 5 miles in 35-40 minutes be more suited for the military.

the pushups, situps, pullups....practice makes perfect. ithat should be pretty easy. but the 3 miles in 15 minutes is pretty sick. i cant believe 3 parts of this physical test are relatively easy and one seemingly impossible part(from my POV anyway)

to increase push up strength/stamina try this....... have someone put a 45lbs plate on your back and do your push ups, do this for the nest 2-3 weeks, 3 sets of as many as you can do. then take the plate off after 2-3 weeks and see how many you can do. youll be surprised how strong youve gotten. ive done this and it increased my strength and stamina pretty well. i could do 70 pushups pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    to increase push up strength/stamina try this....... have someone put a 45lbs plate on your back and do your push ups, do this for the nest 2-3 weeks, 3 sets of as many as you can do. then take the plate off after 2-3 weeks and see how many you can do. youll be surprised how strong youve gotten. ive done this and it increased my strength and stamina pretty well. i could do 70 pushups pretty easily.
    sounds good that with the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    that sounds great i will search for something heavy to put it on my back at home.

loftgroover2 is offline New Member
    i was in the royal marines we had 1 and a half miles in 7.5 mins, 5 strict pull ups at there pace then just bang um out, 80 sit ups in 2 mins same wiv press ups

I run hills with body bags. I also do pushups with them on my back. After a week or so, the bodies start smelling though...

Quote Originally Posted by loftgroover2
    i was in the royal marines we had 1 and a half miles in 7.5 mins, 5 strict pull ups at there pace then just bang um out, 80 sit ups in 2 mins same wiv press ups
    that wasnt on the selection test was it.?

Quote Originally Posted by kyjelly
    I run hills with body bags. I also do pushups with them on my back. After a week or so, the bodies start smelling though...
    lmao

allsaucedup is offline Member
    do your pushups in intervals just do as many as you can for 30 seconds then rest for 90 seconds and go again. do this for a couple of weeks then increase it to as many as you can in 45 seconds couple of weeks like that then upto a minute. same thing with situps

kyle_storm is offline New Member

5 min miling?????

I think youve got your info wrong, you think its 3miles in 15 min, where infact its 3km in15min. so you should be able to do this easily

i have been able to do more pushups by supersetting incline bench press and raised feet pushups.

I would do 3 sets of 30 reps on incline, toss my feet up on the seat and to pushups till failure immediatly following my incline sets.
    Try this for 2 or 3 weeks and if you don't see results in being able to do more pushups i'll be very surprised

Quote Originally Posted by kyle_storm
    I think youve got your info wrong, you think its 3miles in 15 min, where infact its 3km in15min. so you should be able to do this easily
    that makes more sense since the US is the only ones that use miles lol!!!

Thread Information