Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member

squating for guys 6'2 and taller

how far apart do you guys keep you feet apart when you squat? The further i have my legs spread the stronger i feel, my back feels better in this position as well, is the anything wrong with doing squats with a really wide stance, other than the fact it look a lil weird?

lzicc is offline Senior Member
    My feet are a little more than shoulder width apart.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i just wanna say .. im not tall.. but people that are 6inches shorter than me .. have longer legs than me.. >< so obvisly im not proportinoal in the fact my legs are UBER short for my frame.. this being said.. it makes squating REALLY HARD.. its ilke trying to ballance a bowling pin upside down.. SO BE GREATFUL U GOT LEGS TO GIVE U A GOOD BASE!

2bshredded is offline Member
    I'm 6'3" and have always had a hard time with squats, I found, for me anyway the Smith worked very well for me. I like squatting with my feet 8"-10 out in front of my shoulders, really burns em.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Shoulder width or 3-4 inches wider. I try not to go wider than that

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Shoulder width or 3-4 inches wider. I try not to go wider than that

Agreed, im 6'2" and thats what I use

barbndr is offline Junior Member
    It's got to be whatever is comfortable to you. Find a width that you can maintain good form and that is comfortable. I've seen tall guys squat with narrow stances and tall guys squat with the Westside "sumo" stances with equal success. Logic would dictate somewhere slightly wider than shoulder width but everyone is put together differently so find something your comfortable with that allows good form and stick to it.

Anecdotally, I'm 6' 1" tall and I was for over 10 years a slightly wider than shoulder width squatter and a sumo deadlifter. I figured if I widened my squat stance I would have a better chance of improving both lifts. I noticed alot of pressure in my hips doing squats this way but figured it was a "lack of training" thing. After about 6 weeks of training this way I threw my suit on, worked up to 685, dropped down for 1 easy rep but felt a pop in my left hip. So, like all true powerlifters, I went for the double, and made it with no pop. Completed my workout, but the left hip felt a little strange. Next morning, I got out of bed and found myself on the floor when I tried to step on my left leg. Long story short, I fractured the anterior arch of my acetabulum (socket of the pelvis bone where the head of the femur goes). The moral of the story is that I should have listened to my body.

If wide stance squats feel good to you and you keep good form, do 'em that way. What's best for one may not be for someone else. For me, now, I'm a slightly wider than shoulder width squatter .

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    2" wider that shoulders width works best for me. I'm 6'3" and have long legs.

Thread Information