bcap is offline Member

Chest Twice a Week

Hey guys

I'm currently cutting. I'm seeing some nice new cuts in a lot of areas but I'm not getting much in my chest - would working chest out tiwce a week speed this process up?

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    I wouldn't recommend it and I think a lot of the guys here would say the same....

If you lay out your chest workout for us, we could critique and let you know what to do different. I'm gonna go dredge up a thread I started a while back.....

bcap is offline Member
    Thanks for the quick response Superballer.

Here is my routine:

1 set med weight incline bench with dumbells 10 reps
    1 set increased weight with dumbells 8 reps
    1 set high weight with dumbells 5-6 reps

same as above with decline

i then do regular bench, the same way, followed by the same with pec dec and cable crossovers

bcap is offline Member
    This is the order I did it this week, usually i start off with flat bench. But i wanted to really isolate the pecs this week with incline. I also tried somethign different thsi week, very very slow movements, really focusing on form. First 2 sets of everything didn't use a spotter and on the last set upped my weight significantly enough to use a spotter on the last couple reps.

I would stick to 12 sets or so... everyone is different but I would cut out the cable crossovers and pec dec, I pretty much avoid all cable work at this point though. Maybe throw in dips or do some incline flyes....

And make sure to throw in some dips with elbows out leaning forward a little (to hit chest and not tris). You'll hear over and over how important these are for lower chest, better than decline even.=

Overall, looks pretty damn good though. I think a lot of people have problems with their chest lagging, at least when I look at pics and such. Makes the biggest difference (at least in my eyes) when a bb has a bad ass chest. Prob. the most important body part IMO.

bcap is offline Member
    Yeah - alright well thanks, i'll keep working on it.

My gym only has the regular dip machine - does that matter?

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    I dont see a problem with working chest twice a week, it actually works better for me, just do something like this:

Monday:

Flat bench
    Incline DB bench
    Decline DB bench

Thursday:

Flat bench
    DB flies
    Dips or DB pullovers

This way you get flat bench twice a week and also hit the chest differently.

bcap is offline Member
    now see, i'd like to start a discussion on that topic right there - i heard that flat bench press is useless/unneeded if you are doing incline and decline properly. not arguing, just asking your guys's opinion on it

I havent heard that, I always thought of it as decline hits lower, flat hits lower and mid, incline hits upper. I personally like flat bench, if you dont feel it works for you replace it with something you feel works better.

bcap is offline Member
    Oh it's not that I feel it - I just read (I believe itwas somewhere on here, i'll look for it), that flat is not necesary if you are doing incline/decline properly. Interesting.

I'll look and let you know

bcap is offline Member
    Definetly can't find it - maybe it'd just be best to keep them in.

Haha

bcap is offline Member
    So you think it would be bad to do this:

Day 1 - Arms/Chest 1
    Day 2 - Legs
    Day 3 - Off
    Day 4 - Chest 2 (harder/bigger workout)
    Day 5 - Back
    Day 6 - Shoulders
    Repeat

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Since you're relatively new to working out, and the fact that you're cutting, I wouldn't do chest twice a week. It may actually be a step back. I would stick to once a week. Stick to your 4 main; flat bench, incline, decline (I've actually never done it, dips do more than enough for me), and pec decs/flys. Leave the cable's out. 4 sets of 8-10 reps each, pyramiding up as you go. I suggest you alternate between barbell and dumbell every week to achieve best results. I feel dumbells really help provide the cuts in the muscle fibers that barbell alone can't achieve.

1buffsob

MartyMcFly is offline Senior Member
    Diet cuts you. I like to do two presses and a fly works good for me. I personally hate flat bench myself. I love incline and think it hits the chest the best. I do incline a lot less (degree) than most though. The incline benches at the gym are to inclined. Wreaks havok on my delts so I put a few plates under it to lessen the incline and it feels better.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    you can do cest twice a wk, just do different exercies, dont rpeat the exact same workout

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    you can do cest twice a wk, just do different exercies, dont rpeat the exact same workout
    Doc. Sust, just curious, but why would you recommend training a specific bodypart twice a week to someone who is relatively new to lifting and on a low calorie cutting diet? You don't feel he runs the risk of overtraining?

1buffsob

little_soldier is offline Junior Member
    by the way if u r going to follow the split u wrote above
    don't repeat on day 7 take it rest u already did ur chest twice a week so u will need rest

Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    Doc. Sust, just curious, but why would you recommend training a specific bodypart twice a week to someone who is relatively new to lifting and on a low calorie cutting diet? You don't feel he runs the risk of overtraining?

1buffsob
    Wondering the same thing...

Thread Information