llrockyll is offline Member

Deadlifts And Stiffleg Deadlifts Is This Ok?

i do deadlifts on back day and stiffleg deadlifts on leg day. back day is on wensday and leg day is on saturday. DO u think doing both these exercises the same week every week is to much for my back or legs or both?

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    I wouldnt do both, to risky on the back. But if you are going to, I would do regular deads on leg day, and stiff on back makes more sense

Zanelike is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve80
    I wouldnt do both, to risky on the back. But if you are going to, I would do regular deads on leg day, and stiff on back makes more sense
    That sounds ass backwords! Stiffs work your hamstrings and full deadlifts work your lower back, so doing the reverse makes more sense. I see nothing wrong with doing both. If you are doing them properly you will feel them in two completely different areas.

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanelike
    That sounds ass backwords! Stiffs work your hamstrings and full deadlifts work your lower back, so doing the reverse makes more sense. I see nothing wrong with doing both. If you are doing them properly you will feel them in two completely different areas.

When I do stiff it affects my back much more. When I do regular deads I feel it in the hams, so I disagree.

You are the first person that I have ever heard of that uses stiff leg deads for low back.

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Dead lifts can be felt in your hams and usally do but more for some and less for others. As for the question I do the same legs on monday and back on thursday I mean yes you feel it a littel in your back I've had a lot of success with switching SLDL and lying leg curls every week or 2 just so that I don't have too much ovelap in my lower back JMO As long as you don't see your numbers stalling out on each of the exercises and are not hurting from it then keep doing what works

MartyMcFly is offline Senior Member
    When I do stiff it affects my back much more. When I do regular deads I feel it in the hams, so I disagree.
    I do squats for chest. So there.

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    you also work your chest twice a week.... you have a unique training approach it would seem.....

Anthony C is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanelike
    You are the first person that I have ever heard of that uses stiff leg deads for low back.

I guess Ill be the number two guy you have ever heard of ..I can totaly tax my back on SLDL....If you think about it they are not to different from doing GMs ..AC

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    If you guys are feeling Stiff LDL in your lower back you might need to tweak your form a bit.

I actually feel stiff LDL in my hams when I go mod. light and in my back when I go heavy. Regular D.L. does work the hams and glutes if your form is spot on, but without hijaking this thread I also do Regular D.L. and stiff leg the same week

sometimes ill do hams and back on the same day and hit up rack pulls for both, IMO rack pulls are a great transition from back work to ham work

jef
    jef is offline Member
    i hurt my back pretty bad doing 2 such exercises a week. I would stick to one or the other. personally i like dead lifts. for a good hamstring just do barbell lunges, leg curls etc.

Anthony C is offline Associate Member
    Like I said SLDL are really close to being the same motion as Good mornings So it would not be abnormal to feel this in the lower area of the back.Im not saying that they are not for the hams as well because they are but you can difffently feel them in your lower back as well .AC

I'm not denying that you will not feel SLDL in your low back. That would be like saying you don't feel anything in your shoulders when doing inclined chest press. All I am saying is that the primary muscle that SLDL are generally intended for hams and glutes and regular deads more for low back. I do both in my routine.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Here is an idea that i came up with that i like

Doing deads on leg day every other week.

So it would be like this

leg day-squats and various leg work with emphasis on squats

the next leg day- deadlifts done first. then stiff legged deadlifts. finish off the hams with some leg curls. THe replace squats and do the leg press and various quad work.

I could even workout my upper back with at least 1 day in between that workout and deads day

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    it depends all on your goals, i do regular deads and SLDL on the same day for a 6-10 wk micro cycle, but i do this for powerlifting.. i do see no problem with this, i have done alot more volume and have made great gains. sldl work my lower back very much

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Superballer
    you also work your chest twice a week.... you have a unique training approach it would seem.....
    alot of people work chest twice a wk, what is so unusual about that?

llrockyll is offline Member
    thanx for the info bros

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    alot of people work chest twice a wk, what is so unusual about that?
    hmmmm... my mistake. The more I read it seems like most shy away from working a muscle group twice a week. I suppose it is just a matter of personal preference, but at high intensity it seems like it would lead to overtraining.

What are your thoughts, Doc?

Thread Information