Thread: Bench Question

MartyMcFly is offline Senior Member

Bench Question

Today after I did my BB bench I put a board like I do when I do CGBP and did one set using regular grip. It did not put as much strain on my shoulders as usual due less ROM. I usually go and touch my chest but it hurts my shoulders sometimes. The board was around 3in. thick and I notice that some people do not even touch chest when benching. I was wondering how effective this is at working chest? Maybe get a thinner board? Love the less stress on delts. Or is board presses just for tri's.

Anthony C is offline Associate Member
    Board press is really just another way to get stronger in different areas of your bench .Lets say your weak of the bottom of your press you would then work low brds .Lets say your lockout is weak then you would be working high brds .So as far as your question goes about how effective is this for working chest to put it in simple form would be its not effective .Your chest doesnt have much to do with a big bench brds ,bands ,chains and crap like that are made for working deffernt areas of your bench and not so much the chest muscles in itself .These are tools to bench big numbers and not so much as trying to work the chest muscle .There are others that might chime in on this as well but the bottom line is brds dont work the chest muscles like useing a full range of motion excersie .AC

hauss man is offline Member
    i disagree, i have had shoulder problems for a couple years and theres no way i could go all the way down, usually stop about 3-4 inches from my chest, i usulally do flys first to get the chest pumped then do high reps really squeezing and contracting th muscle sure all the way down would be ideal but if you problems work around them

I see a lot of people who go down and do not touch their chest. Are they not working their chest? I am not rying to get my bench numbers up, just looking for a way to train without tearing up my shoulders. I would still do higher reps just come down 1 or 2 inches higher.

boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony C
    Board press is really just another way to get stronger in different areas of your bench .Lets say your weak of the bottom of your press you would then work low brds .Lets say your lockout is weak then you would be working high brds .So as far as your question goes about how effective is this for working chest to put it in simple form would be its not effective .Your chest doesnt have much to do with a big bench brds ,bands ,chains and crap like that are made for working deffernt areas of your bench and not so much the chest muscles in itself .These are tools to bench big numbers and not so much as trying to work the chest muscle .There are others that might chime in on this as well but the bottom line is brds dont work the chest muscles like useing a full range of motion excersie .AC
    I agree with this. I think you should find out why your shoulders are hurting. Are they sore before you are benching? Maybe you are bringing the bar down too high up on your chest.

My shoulders are not doing that bad. I do not have a lot of strain just adding the three inches helped me a lot. But I think it was too much. Just wondering if 1 or 2 inches of boards on a set or two would be okay. I bench right. Shoulder grips elbows tucked bar just below nipples fore arms perpendicular to ground. I don't really see difference betwee 1 or 2 inches of boards instead of not touching my chest. Just want more feedback.

boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    I can't comment from a bodybuilder's perspective about chest growth.

I'm guessing you bench flat-backed, so using a 1 board (boards are 2x6) will add 1.5" which really isn't much. If this is enough to take a good sized strain off of your shoulders I would do it. People who arch their back and touch their chest will be doing less ROM than you at this point anyway.

I arch my back. I will try this for a while in addition to my routine to see how it goes and will post results in my log. My shoulders are not that bad. I am now pressing 290 which is putting mmore stress on shoulders. Not that bad. But I touch the bar to my chest (not bounce) and some of my friends don't touch.
    Last edited by MartyMcFly; 04-28-2006 at 02:28 PM.

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    Marty, here is an article that I was recently reading about bench pressing and it might be of help to you and others who read this post.

Strength and Conditioning Journal: Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 55–55.
    POINT/COUNTERPOINT: Partial or Full Range of Motion During the Bench Press
    Diane Vives, CSCS

THERE ARE STRENGTH AND conditioning professionals who believe that limiting the range of motion (ROM) during exercises, such as the bench press, is necessary for increased safety and joint integrity. They suggest that the upper arm should never go below parallel at the bottom of the eccentric phase of bench pressing. These proponents of partial ROM training often provide contradicting information in the name of safety. They follow recommendations for partial ROM bench pressing side-by-side with full push-up and door frame chest stretches. The only difference between a full bench press, full push-up, and the door frame chest stretch is the matter of load. Improper loading and lack of progression are the main culprits of injury, rather than properly performing an exercise through an individual's full, functional ROM.
    Before we can make these absolute recommendations we must consider some key issues. First, we must differentiate between an individual's anatomical and functional ROM. If a joint's anatomical ROM is 120°, there is no reason why an individual should be limited to training with less than that range unless there are functional abnormalities that would not allow movement through the full ROM. In this case, limiting the full, functional ROM would be prudent, and by doing this we maintain a ROM below the anatomically specified ROM, yet we are still performing within that individual's full, functional ROM. Second, individuals such as athletes are required many times to accept heavy stress near the end of their functional ROM. In these instances, training an individual through some arbitrary limited range does not prepare the target structures for the stresses that they will surely encounter. This will increase the likelihood of injury. Therefore, to make the recommendations for exercising through partial ROM without regard for individual differences and needs is ludicrous.

Good article Wolf. I am going to try a 2 in board to decrease my ROM a little on a couple of sets to see how it feels. I go way past parallel in my bench and while not bad on shoulders yet I will do my heavyest sets w/ a board to help. I don't think it will hurt development much but will monitor it closely.

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    You're welcome Marty and you have to do what works best for you. I hope your progress continues.

Thread Information