-DedicateD- is offline Member

Back Workout : When to Dealift

When i was working out back today, i decided to do deadlifts first so i could get strong lifts and be fresh for my lifts. After 2-3 warmup sets I went on to do 3 moderatly heavy sets. Ive changed my sets into consecutive single reps, that is pulling off the floor, and returning to the starting position. I do around 315 for 8-10 and move up accordingly.

Anyway to my question, after i finish my sets, my body and mind are completly exhausted. my next exercise was weighted wide grip pullups, and although my lats were not highly fatigued, i just couldnt concentrate on the muscle and get a good contraction without my body shaking.

Has anyone else experianced this problem? Do people usually place deadlifts first or last in their workouts?

hauss man is offline Member
    i usually do them first every third workout
    My problem is its hard to move to a heavy freeweight row movement after doing deadlifts because of fatigue

thebison is offline Associate Member
    i do mine at the end to finish off my workout i may not be able to lift 100% but it really burns me out if i do it in the begining.

Quil is offline Member
    I usually do them first as well, but experience the same problem, especially if I do really heavy singles. I've stopped doing them every workout, and starting doing them every other workout.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I do them in the begining. Havent really notiuced anything because I am used to it. I just take a lil more time off than normal in between exercises.

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    I like to do them at the start...seeing as how they are so imprtant to total growth I want to have all the energy/strength I can have for them

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    WOW...lot of responses, i appreciate it..

My current routine only incorperates deadlifts every other week. On the off week, my other lifts increase a bit. Ive always done them last until lately, but theres something i cant resist about hobbling around with scraped up shins and knees the rest of my workout...definatly feel a better pull and more stress on traps, and overall back when i do them first

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Dude, your going to blow up in about 6 weeks. Heres yet another idea. Pick two of the hardest exercises in your back routine and do those first. once those are complete, move into deadlift with as much tenacity as you can. then anything else you decide to do will be icing on the cake.

My fav routine.

#1. Pullups. 4x5-9
    #2. Some type of Row. 4-5x7-12
    #3. D.L. 5x5-7
    #4. D.B. Rows 3x7-10
    #5. something with cables 3x9-15 with a couple strip sets.

OH, and rack pulls are a nice change up from d.l. although I considerthem more of a hamstring exercise.

lc1987 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -DedicateD-
    When i was working out back today, i decided to do deadlifts first so i could get strong lifts and be fresh for my lifts. After 2-3 warmup sets I went on to do 3 moderatly heavy sets. Ive changed my sets into consecutive single reps, that is pulling off the floor, and returning to the starting position. I do around 315 for 8-10 and move up accordingly.

Anyway to my question, after i finish my sets, my body and mind are completly exhausted. my next exercise was weighted wide grip pullups, and although my lats were not highly fatigued, i just couldnt concentrate on the muscle and get a good contraction without my body shaking.

Has anyone else experianced this problem? Do people usually place deadlifts first or last in their workouts?
    what a coincidence i did the same exact thing today except i am not as strong as you i only did 225. after dead lift, i did lat pull ups and i couldn't really focus.

Jakspro is offline Member
    I put mine first to focus on my traps, its my weakest point. And after i just take a longer break till i do BB rows. I'll go to the farthest water fountain instead of a close one.

Thread Information