Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test

Who has had success training each BP 2 or more X a week? Need more input for new rtn.

I am currently designing a new routine, something like a modified HST routine but, I am afraid of overtraining. Do a lot of people train each bodypart 2 or more times a week? I could have never done that with my old 3x a week, each BP once a week split. I wouldnt have been fully recovered I feel. Anyway I have been looking into HST and it seems to have some good points, things that I think I was doing unintentionally when I first started that got me good results. Ultimately I know I will have to learn what works best for me through trial and error but, Im just wonderin what everyone here recomends from their experience.

When I first started lifting (almost 2 years ago) I used Arnold's beginners routine

monday - chest/back
    tues- shoulder/ bis / tris
    wednesday - abs/legs/calves
    repeat
    sunday off

To me this was a really good workout to start because I build up a lot of endurance and was able to put on some mass quick by shocking my muscles.

It definately takes getting used to though!

Gp

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    My routine:

Monday: Chest; Legs; Triceps
    Tuesday: Shoulders; Back; Biceps
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: Chest; Legs; Triceps
    Friday: Shoulders; Back; Biceps

whats everyones rep/set scheme on these splits?

speak is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    My routine:

Monday: Chest; Legs; Triceps
    Tuesday: Shoulders; Back; Biceps
    Thursday: Chest; Legs; Triceps
    Friday: Shoulders; Back; Biceps
    How long do you work out for? And do you hit everything hard on both workouts?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speak
    How long do you work out for? And do you hit everything hard on both workouts?
    I work out til i've finished the workout i planned prior to commencing.

No set time.

Do i hit everything hard both workouts?

Yes and no.

Example...

My workouts are based around squats and deads.. as these two exercises are highly taxing to the CNS

The split:

Monday: chest; legs; triceps
    Tuesday: shoulders; back; biceps
    Thursday: chest; legs; triceps
    Friday: shoulders; back; biceps

If i squat in Monday's leg session.. Tuesday's back session will not include deadlifts. It'll be a 'ligther' session as compared to Friday's back session.

Friday's back session will include deadlifts... That being so, Thursday's leg session may either have light squats or none at all... I may opt for leg presses instead.

Narkissos

whats everyones rep/set scheme on these splits?

Anthony C is offline Associate Member
    I sorta bench 2 times a week .The 1st bench day is mostly on thursdays and I will do my heavy sets and most chest work on this day ,Then on sundays I will work on CG Benches tri work ,shoulder work ect so I becnh hard on thursdays and on sundays its basicly light chest work and chest accesories ..So far its been great and has helped alot with recovery ..AC

Anthony C is offline Associate Member
    My bad forgot to post my routine .

Tuesday back I was doing deads but stoped so I could focus on squats on Sat .It is just to hard to do both heavy in the same week so Im really hoping that when I retest my pulling it will have gone up as well as my squats without doing them Just have to wait and see .

Tuesdays Back bis

Wide grip pulldowns 4 sets (I will warm up on the first two then I will max on the 3rd for around 6-8 reps then Ill drop the weight and go for a 10-12 rep set. .

1 Arm Machine rows .Basicly I ll hit 1 warm up set then 2 working sets .

BB Rows (Again Ill hit 1 warm up set then 2-3 work sets

Light pulls of a box for 3 sets

Seated hammer curls ( I wont warm up on these because I just got done doiing alot of crap for my back and they are already to go .So Ill do
    4sets of about 8-12 reps

After those Ill hit some hammer curls only about 3 sets 8-12 reps .

Wed off

Thu chest .I will start out with BB Incline I will hit about 3 good warm up sets then 1 heavy work sets of 6-8 then I will drop weight and go for like 10-15 reps .

Next up are Flat DB Press Ill warmmup on the first set then bang out two heavy sets of 6-8 reps

Next up Decline BB Bench (Ill basicly just do higher reps here maybe 1set of 6 then 2 sets of 10-12 reps

Now its time for some tri work after the bench stuff I will go alittle lighter on this stuff so basicly Ill do 4-6sets of 8-15 reps .

Then I might do one more tri movement for 3 strait sets of 10-15

Fri off .

Sat legs ,.BB Squats ( On these I will do arouund 3 warm up sets maybe 4 then one heavy work set of 6-12 reps .After that all drop weight and go for a 20 rep set . And after that I basicly want to puke and go to bed but I pass on that and go into leg ex for around 4 straight sets .Then I ll go into hamcurls for 3 sets ,then calf work for 3 sets .Then I might do some bi work like DB Curls for 4 sets then maybe trap work and thats it .

Sunday is Light work day just kinda rehabing things , CG Press ,pushdowns ,rolling DB ,Some shoulde r work and that s it rest on monday ..

As you can see I work really hard on leg days so doing deads are just out of the question which bums me out because I really like pulling but I just can recover if I do ..AC

tretch187 is offline Associate Member
    I would guess a lot of it would depend on the volume and intensity. Also, your individual ability to recover.

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tretch187
    I would guess a lot of it would depend on the volume and intensity. Also, your individual ability to recover.

exactly.

JMan06 is offline Member
    Day1 - Chest
    Day2 - Bis, Tris
    Day3 - Legs
    Day4 - Back, Shoulders

I do it in that order but not on any specific day of the week. I take random rest days on days I cant make it to the gym or when I'm too sore.

I think it all has to do with the individual and his recovery time. What works better for me is Dorian Yates type training w/ more of an emphasis on cardio. The heavy, all out, but brief training will keep your muscles full and pumped, and the cardio will keep you lean and also make your muscles take on shape and symmetry.

MrMeathead is offline Member
    I tried the whole each muscle 2 times per week routine and burned out and felt extremely lethargic each as each workout continued even with "special supplementation". I've also heard of people swearing by how great it works for them. The only way to tell how your body will respond is to give it a try. Go for it. good luck.
    Last edited by MrMeathead; 05-11-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMeathead
    I tried the whole each muscle 2 times per week routine and burned out and felt extremely lethargic each as each workout continued even with "special supplementation". I've also heard of people swearing by how great it works for them. The only way to tell how your body wil respond is to give it a try. Go for it. good luck.
    dont forget if you train a body part 2x or more a week then you must adjust the volume,did you?

Quote Originally Posted by helium3
    dont forget if you train a body part 2x or more a week then you must adjust the volume,did you?
    No i kept it pretty much the same. I didn't feel a need to change anything to my routine itself sense i felt it wasn't anything close to overtraining.

I tried the whole each muscle 2 times per week routine and burned out and felt extremely lethargic each as each workout continued even with "special supplementation". I've also heard of people swearing by how great it works for them. The only way to tell how your body will respond is to give it a try. Go for it. good luck.

not trying to be a smart ass but this post seems to confirm the volume was too much which should have been adjusted to compensate for the 2x you were training.or have i missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by helium3
    not trying to be a smart ass but this post seems to confirm the volume was too much which should have been adjusted to compensate for the 2x you were training.or have i missed something?
    Like i said in the post above you I didn't change anything in my routine prior to to the 2 times per week split. That is probably the reason i felt burned out. I just got bored with my regular routine and wanted to try something new. It sounds like you really back up the whole training each muscle 2 times per week routine and no your not a being smart ass. lol. I always just thought of that style of training as old school. If you feel that the reason i burned out was due to the volume then i'll definately be willing to give it another shot.

Like i said in the post above you I didn't change anything in my routine prior to to the 2 times per week split. That is probably the reason i felt burned out. I just got bored with my regular routine and wanted to try something new. It sounds like you really back up the whole training each muscle 2 times per week routine and no your not a being smart ass. lol. I always just thought of that style of training as old school. If you feel that the reason i burned out was due to the volume then i'll definately be willing to give it another shot.

thats cool,hope you give it another go,you just have to find out how much you can handle,ive said it many times but i hit my body parts 3x a week but i have adjusted the volume down for each day so the total number of sets i do in a week is almost the same as a standard split routine,there have def been some benifits to doing this,my greatest gains naturally came when i switched to this type of training and ive been training for years.

for me i do deads and squats on the same day tough but not impossible,
    because deads really takes it out of you i tend to do 2-3 heavy warm up sets then just do 1 effective set 3x a week to avoid overtraining and /or injury.i used to do them off the rack but switched to floor and that made all the diff i noticed my whole body change with deads from the floor.

there are many advantages to training the muscle more than once a week(including studies)growth is one of them,that is why many seasoned bb's train like this.if you are careful with the volume your muscles can handle it,they will come back for more,its only your joints(maybe) and cns that need more time to recover.

Motion is offline Associate Member
    I work every muscle group 3 times in a 2 week span.

Mon-Chest/Shoulders/Tri's
    Wed-Legs/Back/Bi's
    Fri-Chest/Shoulders/Tri's
    Mon-Legs/Back/Bi's
    Wed-Chest/Shoulders/Tri's
    Fri-Legs/Back/Bi's
    repeat.......

I've been using this routine for about 3 weeks now and I'm very happy with it.

Below is what I am planning on doing for the next 4 weeks.

Day One: Push (Intensity)

Day Two: Pull (Intensity)

Day Three: Legs (Intensity)

Day Four: Push (Volume)

Day Five: Pull (Volume)

Day Six: Legs (Volume)

Day Seven: Off

*I am going to follow this split for only 4 weeks. I just want to try something different...my plan is to overeat and overtrain for 4 weeks and then back off...something different.

Thanks nark, good info in that.

I dont know why i havent been training each BP twice a week. I am physically capable of doing it all along. No weakness from WO to WO, no lethargy that I can notice. I get a lil stronger each WO like normal but, Im doing twice as much in a way. I like this.

well i am on Dbol and cyp though.............

x305x is offline New Member
    you can train 2x/day but it depends on volume, intensity, and progression... to have good adaptations. you need to keep it moderate to reduce the chances of overtraining or overreaching...If you're going to train
    2x/day make sure your diet is good to get proper nutrients where needed.

look into using a periodization model if you're going to do that.

Thread Information