Thread: standing..

chest6 is offline Banned

standing..

At my job I have now (cashier) I'll stand for very long periods of time. Sometimes 6 hours or more of straight standing. Can this lead to overtraning? Yesterday I couldn't squat shit and my knees hurt afterwards..anyone experience this??

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    At my job I have now (cashier) I'll stand for very long periods of time. Sometimes 6 hours or more of straight standing. Can this lead to overtraning? Yesterday I couldn't squat shit and my knees hurt afterwards..anyone experience this??
    I cnat say its ever hurt my training but I alway hurt after a long 4-5 hour concert my knees and lower back that can't be the best thing for your body

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yeah thats the main thing. After 6 hours of standing yesterday squats really hurt my knees..and I was weak as hell too..

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    i don't think it's over-training man (i hate how that word is so indiscriminately applied)

The 'weakness' may indicate reduced blood flow to the area.

Try pumping some blood into your calves by doing a couple reps of toe raises.. every hour or so if you have to stand for extended periods

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    no but it would make my knees HURT!
    i would like to suggest a hova'round

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Watch out for the blood pooling in your legs. You could get some nasty varicose veins from the prolonged periods of standing.

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    Try standing at attention for nearly 2 hours, not being able to move AT all, I have seen guys pass out because they refused to move...

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    It won't lead to over training, but an array of other problems. Ask for a stool.

chest6 is offline Banned
    We don't get stools over there. Lately..I'll sit on the counter even though I'm not supposed to. Sorry bout using the o word Nark Sometimes my manager will catch me sittin and he'll tell me to get up...but when he's not around I'll try. We're damn busy today and I never get to sit, usually at night when theres no one there.

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    i lift/handle/push 17tons of beer(barrels and bottles)5 days a week i dont think you need to worry,its a very physically demanding job.try lifting 500 cases of beer of the deck onto a truck then off the truck then carry it down a cellar(flight of stairs),now thats reason to worry about over training.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by helium3
    i lift/handle/push 17tons of beer(barrels and bottles)5 days a week i dont think you need to worry,its a very physically demanding job.try lifting 500 cases of beer of the deck onto a truck then off the truck then carry it down a cellar(flight of stairs),now thats reason to worry about over training.
    Oh damn..I think you win. They wanted me to be a loader and I was like uhhhh no thanks..I feel bad for you

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Watch out for the blood pooling in your legs. You could get some nasty varicose veins from the prolonged periods of standing.
    Exactly why i suggested doing some calf raises while standing... It'll improve circulation

Tai raised a valid point too.

Try 'hovering'.. i.e. walking around where possible

gmmvp42 is offline Junior Member

gel inserts

Could be your body telling you the extra weight is hurting you. Standing still for extended amounts of time should not lead to pain/overtraining. Try to get some gel inserts for your shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by gmmvp42
    Could be your body telling you the extra weight is hurting you. Standing still for extended amounts of time should not lead to pain/overtraining. Try to get some gel inserts for your shoes.

Standing for 6 hours should not lead to pain?

We're bodybuilders.. not somalians

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmmvp42
    Well I mean it didnt directly lead to pain. Some weeks while I do squats I feel it more than others. Not real 'pain' per say..just maybe a little sensative

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Oh damn..I think you win. They wanted me to be a loader and I was like uhhhh no thanks..I feel bad for you

no problem dude,believe it or not its the best job ive ever had,free merchendise(ocasional beer),free meals meet new people and plenty of eye candy in the summer.

seriously though i beat off 3x last night do you think that will affect my bicep routine tomorrow?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    1) They should provide a gel pad type of mat to stand on if you have to stand for that long of a period of time.

2) If they don't provide the pad, they should provide a stool.

If they provide none of those, f*ck them, quit. I would because that's just assinine.

~SC~

chest6 is offline Banned
    In returns they get stools..I hate them for that. I tried to steal it the other day and they got mad..its my first week and I'm already tryin to steal the stool..I dont think they liked that. I actually have been working outside, and I think I'm going to be made permanent out there. Its like 95 degrees everyday and I stand on concrete..I wish I had a gel pad. Everyone from this store and my old store told me to get those Dr Sholl's gel pads for your shoes

From the sounds of it you just need to get a new job. Unless you are getting paid upwards of $15/hr it just doesnt seem worth it...

Have you tried waiting tables? Typically you average about $20/hr and get to walk around the whole time.

Thread Information