ascendant is offline Senior Member

static contractions for delts?

i had read in an article recently that static contractions are supposed to be great for delt growth. i'm curious as to if anyone has tried it what their results were?

the two techinques they mention is peak static contraction, where you squeeze at the top of the movement of a delt exercise like laterals or upright rows for about 5-15secs on each rep. the other was a similar static contraction where once training to failure on laterals or upright rows, you bring the cable/dumbell as high up as you can with the delt and hold it there for a good 10secs on the last rep.

if this has given anyone significant results for helping to increase delt size, i'd like to hear your personal results. thanks.

lzicc is offline Senior Member
    I've started doing something like that. I know that my delts burn when I do those types of statics.

Tank75 is offline Associate Member
    I'm not entirely sure how they will do to increase the size of the muscle, but it sounds a lot like Bruce Lee's use of isometrics which he claimed gave him incredible power and definition- although he was never more than 135 lbs.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Deffinitly - static holds are great for delts (I prefer side laterals) and biceps (barbell curls)... lift, hold, shake, sweat, then drop!

You have to make it past the shaking part - that is where the benefit happens... the shaking is your body scrambling for more fibers to contract. Keep your form and hold it.

Thread Information