Facecrash is offline Member

Bench press maching

I have a lot of trouble doing freeweight bench presses because I have an old injury in my shoulder. I use the bench press maching (where you put the plates on them) am I losing anything by not doing freeweight benches?

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    yes, you do not use stabalizing muscles as effectivly, but some people have decent results with machines...

Thug Nasty is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwolffey
    yes, you do not use stabalizing muscles as effectivly, but some people have decent results with machines...
    Bingo, the stabilizing muscles are worked as a secondary muscles with free weights. It's all up to how you think it's doing. If it works for ya, stick with it. If it doesn't, change.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    secondary smeckendary..

the machines make it so you can build and develop the large muscle groups, it's like if you are using straps so you can do alot heavier weight in your pull down so you get the lats better..

Free weights, and if you have an injury, or weeker connection tissue, the machine is the way to go to be safe..

the perfect situation is you take 1-2 years and regrow the injured parts..

but hey, who has time for that..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

yes i agree that because of his injury he should at least start back out on machines

Facecrash is offline Member
    thanks for all the input. I'm going to stick with the machines. In 2 weeks I'm going to start rotating in some freeweight benches with low weight and take my time going up in weight and I'll keep using the machines. Sound good?

good to go bro...be careful and train hard brother

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Just be smart and listen to your body and when it is ready switch to free weight benching.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Facecrash
    I have a lot of trouble doing freeweight bench presses because I have an old injury in my shoulder. I use the bench press maching (where you put the plates on them) am I losing anything by not doing freeweight benches?
    Are doing any exercises to strengthen the shoulder? Charles Poliquin has an excellent article on this called Achieving Structural Balance, over at t - nation .com.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Facecrash
    Now I dont know your exact shoulder condition, but generally speaking the bench machines are far worse on the joints, esp the shoulder. If barbell benches hurt you I would go dumbbell. Avoid machines. I know guys that dont really bench much anymore after they tore their pec, and they are still huge and strong as hell. So its not a necessary exercise to get big, but I think its pretty awesome.

eberasain is offline Associate Member
    recent studies show that that free weights are good because you use more muscle in balacing the weight; however, they also said that smith machine benching can be good because it allows you to lift heavier weights which causes larger tears and strength in the muscle.

URMaster is offline Junior Member
    I injured my shoulder a few years back and it only acts up when I flat bench. Free weights, incline benches and machines are fine. Its been a thorn in my training for many years.

BIGAL73 is offline New Member
    Both my shoulders are screwed,I have no cartalige left in either one.Inclines and Flats stir the hell out of them,My gym doesn't have a machine for inclines,so I have to use Barbells or Dumbells,My left shoulder was SCREAMING after the first set (and still is). I use a machine for Flat bench and can Stack the weight on vs useing dumbells or a barbell.I tried two weeks each way. I felt alot more pump from the machine..But that's just me..My lifting partner is totally opposite....Make me sick though, My senior year I was repping 350 ,now I struggle to get 215 up on the Flat,Goes to show how much injuries can hold you back

Mobligator is offline Associate Member
    I tore the rotator cuff in my shouder twice in 3 years doing free weight bench presses so I decided to give them up completely rather then go thru all the pain again. However after a couple years off them I discovered I could do "close grip" benches with the free weights and they didn't bother my shoulders. I can hardly bench the bar alone without feeling some pain using a normal grip but close grips are no problem. I can also do standing or sitting military presses without any trouble.

Thread Information