2timer is offline Senior Member

help me get bigger biceps..

I have good chest size, good legs back, tricep too. My bicep is lagging behind. I have the same routine with all but I can't get the bicep bigger. please help me with workout routine that can help...thanks
    Last edited by 2timer; 05-30-2006 at 02:06 PM.

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    what dose your routine look like ?
    no open source posting
    keep all source request's to PM'S please

someone once said to me a clever man learn's by his own mistake's. But a wise man learn's by the mistake's of other people.

detailed detection times
    at least 45 day's active use and 100 posts for a source check
    unsure about the rule's please read up
    thread for first cycle choices

SOURCE CHECKS CLICK HERE

I do 4 set standing cable curls, 4 set of preachers and 4 set of bar bell preachers... I do sometimes two set of standing barbell curls additional. I try to do 12 to 14 for everybody and seems working with all body parts except legs..

abokeef is offline Associate Member
    Man, from ur stats, I can tell u don't have long arm. So, it shouldn't be a problem to build them, just be more strict with ur curls, even use the arm blaster if u want. come look at me 6ft,2". my arm is very long and it's very hard to fill the gab at the end of the bi to elbow,they r 17",to me still small within people see 'em big.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    12-14 sets for biceps would have my arms seriously over-trained.

I do 6 usually, max is 8, but that's it.

More is not always better.

~SC~

here is what I do for biceps, one week on bicep day I go heavy and do 6 sets for bi's max, then the following week I go a little lighter and do a drop set that would make most people cringe just watching it. Take a specific exercise like preacher curls or hammer curls, and do a weight that you can barely get 20 reps with, then drop the weight and get another 15-20 reps, then another drop, and another, and another. It's sick, I'll do like 4-5 drops for 20 reps each, my arms will be so torn up I cant even hold the weight anymore, its total PAIN. And thats it, done. Takes maybe 5 or 6 minutes.

what I meant it works except bicep not legs sorry... anyways, what u guys are saying is to do 20reps of 5-8 sets? I do 12-14 of 8-10 reps... I see....And how heavy should I do that?( like my max or like 60-80%) also can u give me exactly how drop set works?..thanks
    Last edited by 2timer; 05-30-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2timer
    what I meant it works except bicep not legs sorry... anyways, what u guys are saying is to do 20reps of 5-8 sets? I do 12-14 of 8-10 sets... I see....And how heavy should I do that?( like my max or like 60-80%) also can u give me exactly how drop set works?..thanks

What I mean is one week I'll do 2 different bicep exercises, 3 sets per exercise for a total of 6 sets, I go pretty heavy and stay in the 6-8 rep range for all my sets. Then the following week I do the drop set. A drop set is when you start at a certain weight, and after you cant do anymore with that weight you immediately go to something lighter and keep going without rest. So when I say "Do 5 drops" what I mean is start w/ a weight that you can barely get 19 or 20 reps with, then lighten it to something you can do another 20 reps w/ and so on and so forth until you've dropped the weight 4 or 5 times. It burns

Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    What I mean is one week I'll do 2 different bicep exercises, 3 sets per exercise for a total of 6 sets, I go pretty heavy and stay in the 6-8 rep range for all my sets. Then the following week I do the drop set. A drop set is when you start at a certain weight, and after you cant do anymore with that weight you immediately go to something lighter and keep going without rest. So when I say "Do 5 drops" what I mean is start w/ a weight that you can barely get 19 or 20 reps with, then lighten it to something you can do another 20 reps w/ and so on and so forth until you've dropped the weight 4 or 5 times. It burns
    thanks, will give that a try...

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~

+1 here, look up swolecats "scorch method" of training back and bi's.....ill paraphrase the best advice i have ever gotten "leave the ego at the door, choose a weight that you can do strict movements with for 15 reps"

it has really helped me get pumps in my biceps that i have never really felt before.

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest doing standing barbell or seated dumbbell curls, seated incline curls, and close grip e-z bar curls. 6-8 sets (not including your warm-up) and do between 6-10 reps per set. Focus on full range of motion and squeezing your biceps at the top.

How a drop set works is that say your doing standing barbell curls starting at x lbs and you complete the set to failure, then strip 5-10 lbs and do that to failure, then drop another 5-10 lbs and do that to failure.

thanks alot everyone... I will look up swole workout too...

hmm i tryed to find the link myself but i cant. so ill summarize it:

back routine that i do:

wide grip pullups, deads, dumbell rows, & seated close grip cable rows.

bicep scorch:

3-4 sets of dumbell hammers, 15 reps, 2 seconds up, squeeze and pause at the top, 3 seconds down. the strict movement and concentrating on the muscle that is doing the work is what i find key here.

3-4 sets of barbell curls, 15 reps, same as above.

bruinsball22 is offline New Member
    I use seated isolation curls on my inner thigh meanwhile doing x reps. where you do one full curl then one half then one full etc... I seem to find that very tiring on my bis, and find them burning afterwards. Also i do ez curl bars because it gives you a different angle to your bicep which means more torque. I have very long arms i can pretty much scratch my knees standing upright. So it is very hard but with the x rep and ez curls i have been filling out nicely. I also would try getting a curl bar and putting on the desired weight and doing close grip curls then normal then wides without rest, it really hits them hard all around.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    Yep. I always do 6 and won't go over 8. I've recently tried starting bi's before I do back...some I hit them fresh. This is only temporary and I think I'll keep switching back and forth. Tai's suggestion and so far I like it

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    i have definately noticed a big change in my bi's since going from around 15 total sets to 8. i was overtraining i guess and didn't know it. you live and learn though. typical movements are barbell curls, preachers, incline, spider, concentration, hammers, alternating dumbells and i use cables. i'll do 2 sets of 4 movements with strict and slow form to failure which is 8 to 12 reps. this has woked great for me. swolecat knows his sh*t.

Pro_built7 is offline Member

Sorry for post whoring....

Whenever I train bi's I can never seem to get them sore ? I think I may be overtraining with 12 sets so i'll try dropping that to 6 like swole stated. But nevertheless 12 sets won't get them sore what should I do ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_built7
    Whenever I train bi's I can never seem to get them sore ? I think I may be overtraining with 12 sets so i'll try dropping that to 6 like swole stated. But nevertheless 12 sets won't get them sore what should I do ?
    what is your current routine? it could be a number of factors.

Pro_built7 is offline Member
    3 sets standing dumbbell curls, 3 sets straightbar curls, 3 sets seated incline curls, 3 sets precher curls.

diamonds is offline Banned
    3 sets standing dumbbell curls, 3 sets straightbar curls, 3 sets seated incline curls, 3 sets precher curls.
    = MASSIVE OVER-TRAINING in my book!

copenhagen is offline Member
    scenerio 1- 4 sets of barbell curls and 4 sets of preacher curls = 8 total sets reps set at 8-10

scenerio 2- 2 sets of bb curls, 2 sets of cable curls, 2 sets of hammer curls, and 2 sets of concentration curls = 8 total sets reps set at 8-10

other than a larger variety would the second scenerio lead to overtraining if it is still 8 total sets?

chest6 is offline Banned
    just because you do more sets doesn't necessarily mean you will be more sore the next day.

URMaster is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    here is what I do for biceps, one week on bicep day I go heavy and do 6 sets for bi's max, then the following week I go a little lighter and do a drop set that would make most people cringe just watching it. Take a specific exercise like preacher curls or hammer curls, and do a weight that you can barely get 20 reps with, then drop the weight and get another 15-20 reps, then another drop, and another, and another. It's sick, I'll do like 4-5 drops for 20 reps each, my arms will be so torn up I cant even hold the weight anymore, its total PAIN. And thats it, done. Takes maybe 5 or 6 minutes.
    I do this type of training alot for all body parts. This type of training torches the muscle group very quickly. For clarification. Take an excercise like lat pulldowns. I'll start with my highest weight doing 10-12 reps, drop 10-15 lbs do another 8 reps, drop another 10lbs for another 5 reps. By this time, the muscle group is completely scorched. I'll do a 6 - 9 total sets depending on the muscle group, waiting one minute in between sets. Thats it. I'm in and out of the gym in 45 minutes most days. I also try and change the excercises performed every workout and in some kind of random order. Very effective routine for me. I make consistant gains in stamina, strength and size.
    Last edited by URMaster; 06-07-2006 at 01:15 PM.

Thread Information