URMaster is offline Junior Member

Shoulders Lacking

Hello All. Been back in the gym for about 5 months now and have made nice gains. Im up about 20lbs, natural of course. The difference is like night and day on a 160lb frame. My shoulders really need help. Its no surprise as they are my least favorite body part to train. Looking for some excercises that will give them some outer definition and that overall canonball look. How many sets should I be training them? Thanks for the help.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Basically, Delts need plenty of time under tension due to the workload they get during the day. Use short rest intervals, minimize locking out and either keep the reps high or superset two or more heavy movements (I normally prefer the later).

Also - keep a log of your numbers os you can chart progressive overload... don't try and add too much - just try and add either a little more to the load, a few more reps or finish the routine faster... either way, you progress one step closer to those cannon balls.

diamonds is offline Banned
    Funny as it may be, you may be over training them. What is your split/routine for them? Notice that many experienced lifters won't do shoulders at all, or minimally if they do?
    Honestly, shoulders are the one muscle group that I just can't pinpoint which exercise routine works best for me either.

swole25 is offline Senior Member
    shoulders have always been a problem area for me as well. i found that doing drop sets with dumbells for front raises and lateral raises really gets em going for me. each set would consist of 3 consecutive 10 counts dropping the weight 5 lbs. for each dumbell per 10.

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    try peak contractions while doing side/rear/front laterals. they've really helped "cap-off" my delts within the past month. still got a ways to go till i'm happy, but they've definitely made a difference.

just do the laterals as usual, but at the top of the movement, hold the dumbells there for a good 3-5 secs, really squeezing the delts. you can't do a lot of weight with this method, but it's rough and i tell you it's working for me.

also, make sure your form is good. research the proper technique for doing laterals and other delt exercises. delts are the bodypart i see people use improper form with more than any other bodypart by far, especially their side laterals.

Testostack is offline Anabolic Member
    Heavy ass weight is not a must to have big shoulders........emphasize on contraction and/or supersets w/ short rest between.

hurley11 is offline Junior Member
    I would say doing between 8 and 11 sets for shoulders should be good. Maybe even less sets because shoulders are so prone to injury and overtraining. (you already work anterior w/ chest and posterior w/ back)

URMaster is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies. I plan on doing 6 sets of high intensity work after my tricep and chest routine. They should already be tired by then. I just havent been concentrating on them.

i always do 'em b4 arms in the same training day. seems logical to me.

BIG_T_MC06 is offline Associate Member
    Prioritise Your Delts By Hitting Them First In Your Workout And Preferably Early On In The Split (day 1 Or 2)

I Only Do 8 Week Sets For Delts And Feel This Is Plenty For Anyone On Hit Training.

I Have Seen Best Results With The 8-12 Rep Range For Delts. As Previously Said A Lot Of Time Under Tension For Delt Growth And Focus On Feeling The Muscles Work Instead Of The Weight.

T

I always do like this:

side lateral raises
    military press or db press
    front lateral raise (db or bar)
    rear lateral raises
    shrugs over incline bench
    standing db shrugs
    and that's it!

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    try pre-exhausting your delts by doing side or front laterals before your pressing movement. you wont be able to lift as much but thats not what its about.......

Now that's what im talking about........and about the not being able to as much, i don't agree, or maybe i got used to busting my ass........

Thread Information