Bert2 is offline Female Member

Breast Self-Examinations

Ladies, I can't stress the importance of this enough along with yearly Pap Smears.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I'm sure you know someone who is or has been affected by Breast Cancer. I have...my grandmother on my mother's side died of BC when I was only 3 and Pete's Aunt passed away last year after a 3 year battle. His other Aunt (her sister) had BC and had to have a mastectomy when she was only 32 years old. I myself have had a scare a couple of years ago finding a lump in one breast (just a cyst) and bleeding from the nipple a few months later. This also turned out to be nothing other than a blocked milk duct that burst. Just something I have to keep an eye on because if it comes back, chances are it could be cancer in the ducts. BC doesn't only happen in women who have hit menopause. Women in their early twenties are being diagnosed and more often they are dying because they don't perform BSE's, believing they are not at risk at such a young age. I just picked up a copy of "Self" magazine, it's a special edition on BC. There are some graphic photos of women who have survived this horrific disease. I recommend picking it up if you have a chance.

I also highly recommend YEARLY Pap Smears. Speaking from personal experience, this is something most women don't like to have done but is vital to our health. Four years ago I was diagnosed with Displasia (sp?). It was very mild and they told me it would probably go away on its own, as it does in most cases. I went back a year later for a check-up to discover that it was at the most severe it could be prior to becoming cancerous. If I hadn't gone back I might not be here today. I had to have surgery to remove the pre-cancerous cells. (not pleasant)Cervical cancer can affect young women and it can be a very fast growing cancer. Due to other complications over the past few years, I had to have a hystorectomy last year. Due to my past, I still have to get my yearly paps done. Up until this past month I have been feeling wonderful. I started feeling pains again in my ovaries and I'm scheduled for an ultrasound at the end of November. I pray I don't have to have another surgery!

Anyway, I just want to remind all of you out there the importance of these exams. Don't put it off. If it's been over a year since your yearly exam, PLEASE call your doctor and make an appointment...ASAP.

Bert

Ashley is offline Female Member
    You are so right Bert!! Thanks for the reminder. We get so busy and can forget the most important!

Ms Figure is offline Retired Moderator
    Thanks Bert and while we are on that sort of subject i hope everyone has regular smear tests my first every smear had abnormal cells i have to now have smear tests every 6 months its very worrying but i feel it is so important i know you ladies arnt stupid but i just want to make sure you do!!

thanks again Bert!
    Ms Figure

Bert2 is offline Female Member
    You're welcome, MsFigure! Keep me up to date on your smears. I know how scary it can be.

Bert

KBgrl is offline Female Member
    wow bert...great post! thanks for sharing. BC runs in my family too . i lost a a close family member not too long along from cancer. it started as breast cancer...the lump was removed and she was told that everything was fine. a few months later she had some pain in her hips...she was was treated for freakin arthritis but when the pains got worse these genius doctors realized it was bone cancer! it was completely devasting. i guess we just have to do what we can to stay on top these things. stay healthy girl!
    damn...im callin the gyno tomorrow...its been a while since my last visit. thanks for the reminder

fitgirl943 is offline Female Member
    You're right Bert. I go to the GYN every year and of course if I think there is a problem. My last yearly test showed possible abnormal cells and I'm scheduled for a new test. It is so important. My sis' was abnormal and she had it taken care of early also.

I do fall behind on checking my breasts for lumps. Don't forget that ladies!

Thread Information