Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IBdmfkr is offline AR VET

**'s current Chest routine

Gonna post up my current chest routine as of request by a couple guys in the last week. Nothing special but it gets the job done. Remember each set must be given 110% intensity, this is a low set workout and is meant to really stress the muscles and take them to fatigue so get a workout partner or a spotter otherwise don't do this chest routine, simple.
    We're only doing this every 6days so hit it hard and do it right... light weight baby!

Here we go!
    Again let me state, chest will develop in the shape that it's genetically predisposed to do so.. some ppl have better shape/symmetry and others don't.. Deal with what you got and build the best chest you possibly can, because you can't change it.

Week 1 + 3:

Flat bench dumbbell presses: 5sets (obviously here use weights that are in this rep-range for YOU, try and move up every two weeks when you hit the same workout Again, remember we do a 1/3, 2/4 split)
    Set 1 warmup - 70lb x 15
    Set 2 moderate heavy - 120 x 12
    Set 3 heavy - 140 x 8-10
    Set 4 workset to failure - 150 x 6-8

Incline dumbbell presses: 4 sets (you want to take a 3-5minute break between these two excercises... Perfect time to go do a few sets of Calves and relax/get your mind set for the next sets to come.)
    Set 1 warmup - 70 x 12-15
    Set 2 moderate heavy - 100 x 10-12
    Set 3 heavy - 115 x 8-10
    Set 4 heavy MF'er to failure - 120-125 x 4-6

Decline hammer strength: 3 sets (If you're not hurtin by now and you can't really feel your chest or it doesn't feel extremely pump then you did something wrong whether it be your form or your training like a 12yr old school girl, so fix it next workout or don't do this workout, it's not for you lol). btw your front delts shouldn't be extremely tired/sore but they should feel pumped, if they are exhausted then change your form on incline dumbbells to further other your body and roll your shoulders down.
    Set 1 heavy - 3plates x 12 (really squeeze and concentrate on the contraction)
    Set 2 heavier - 3 and a 25 x 10 (slow negative 2-3second count down, 1-2second count push, feel the burn!)
    Set 3 failure - 4plates x 4-6 (You're ready to go home but you got one more set! Take a few minutes inbetween each of these and make each one count.)

Week 2 + 4
    Same as above but start with incline so the weights will obviously shift to heavier lifts on incline and lighter on flat press dumbbells. Another option for the third movement would be cables although I'm not a big fan of isolated movements while bulking.

Anyway this is the routine, try it for 4-6wks and let me know how it goes. I guarantee if done correct with the right intensity you should spark some new growth and break past that plateau.

(Used to do a barbell routine and switched to dumbbells only after a ligament/tendon injury to the left side of my chest from flat bench press).
    First pic is from 2003, 2nd pic is from 6months ago, third pic is recent (clean for 3months), made a bit of progress using these two routines alone (dieting for comp btw in 3rd pic, 7wks out from competition).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BD's current Chest routine-frontmar03.jpg   BD's current Chest routine-frontshot.jpg   BD's current Chest routine-front1.jpg  
    Last edited by IBdmfkr; 02-05-2007 at 09:54 PM.

albino-rhino is offline Junior Member
    Awesome bro! Thanks. Just what the doctor ordered. Damn, loving the physique.

Actually my new routine is similar to yours except I through in barbell every once in a while. Looking at your workout I need to adjust a few things in mine.

Also I do a third week where I hit flies (2 sets cable / 2 sets dumbell :: mix match with flat/incline) then hit the incline and flat. You say...

[QUOTE=IBdmfkr]Another option for the third movement would be cables although I'm not a big fan of isolated movements while bulking.QUOTE]

Why not a fan when bulking? I pre-exhaust the chest on one work out. About every 3 weeks. Should I drop this for now?

I always do flies on every chest workout also. You don't recommend when bulking?? Actually I'm going to try your exact chest routine this week, with my girly weights of course and see how that goes.

Thanks again for posting this man. You da man!

Well, that comment was from my experience in the last 6-7yrs. I'm a pretty firm believer that if you want a muscle to grow you must first lift heavy weight every workout, and secondly you must do compound movements. Isolated movements just doesn't seem to do anything for building mass/muscle density. Without that you can do all the flies etc you want but you'll want but truely they aren't needed IMO.

I'll isolate 2wks or so out from this show because my energy levels won't be up to my current routines. Other than that, almost every bodybuilder I know locally says to lift heavy until you can't. And most don't do a whole lot of isolated movements in their routines.

Others may disagree but this isn't their thread nor are they posting their pics. lol.. "to each his own". Do what works best for you bro, but try everything before you disregard any style of lifting, whether it be isolated or compound etc..

Again this is what works best for ME and I am into bodybuilding, this makes my body grow the most and that's what I'm after.

On another note, DIET IS KEY.. IF your diet is not up to par then I'd go as far as saying you may as well not even bother working out because you won't see any considerable gains. This routine isn't anything special or set apart from anyone elses nor is the routine going to make the biggest difference. My diet is close to flawless (to a certain extent) compare to most other ppls, that is why I make the gains I do.. although I still have ALOT of work to do until I'm happy. What you see if mearly a foundation to what I want to become.
    Best of luck.
    Last edited by IBdmfkr; 07-08-2006 at 02:06 PM.

albino-rhino is offline Junior Member
    Agreed, everyones different and actually I'v found that doing flies before isn't really doing the trick so far. Actually I think I might be overworking my chest. I'v tried many different styles of working my chest, it just seems stuborn.(Damn genetics - mind you I love my huge arms ) That said, I think I'll try your routine and give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes.

When you say "Decline hammer strength" are you refering to a bench machine? My gyms to poor for that. I guess I can do some weighed dips here?

On a side note, diet IS key and I like to think my diet is pretty good. I'v actually come a long way since starting. Everything seems to grow just my chest is still lacking big time. Here is my diet:
    summer bulker...

Just looking at my workouts now I think I am overtraining my chest. Damn I guess sometime less is more. I'm glad you posted this.

And I really do appreciate your responses.
    Thanks again for this post!
    Last edited by albino-rhino; 02-29-2008 at 10:13 AM.

soccer#3 is offline Anabolic Member
    looks nice. but no flies?

so u do chest n calves on the same day right?

cant wait to see the rest of ur routines.. think im gonna switch my routine to something more similar to urs

No isolated movements.. Yes chest/calves

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    I know your not a big fan of isolation but I love chest dips got anything against them I also work my tris on chest day as well so ill switch from workout 1 tri dip and #2 chest dips

Dips are not considered isolated at all.. that is a great compound movement, I have bad shoulders so I stay clear of them.
    Form is Very important to help "isolate" the chest while doing them though.
    There's a huge difference between an isolated movement and isolating a muscle group on a compound lift. does that make any sense?
    Last edited by IBdmfkr; 07-12-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IBdmfkr
    Dips are not considered isolated at all.. that is a great compound movement, I have bad shoulders so I stay clear of them.
    Form is Very important to help "isolate" the chest while doing them though.
    There's a huge difference between an isolated movement and isolated a muscle group on a compound lift. does that make any sense?
    yea definitly misunderstood isolation in a diffrent sense

Liftnainez is offline Banned
    Big bump.. IBD is always helping out.. great post brotha!

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Too bad my shoulders give out at the end of the second exercise.....

FU*K!

Your shoulders? wtf.. you must not be doing the correct form.. shoulders are simply there to stabilize weight, using less weight/proper form/and the right rhythm you shouldn't be having this problem..
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

Your shoulders? wtf.. you must not be doing the correct form.. shoulders are simply there to stabilize weight, using less weight/proper form/and the right rhythm you shouldn't be having this problem..
    I dont know whats up, check my thread in the injury forum if you care.

Gimme a link, short on time and focused on this comp.. no time to search for anything on this site.
    -B D
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]

I B D
    AR VET

Gimme a link, short on time and focused on this comp.. no time to search for anything on this site.

Its on the first page, its not hard to find, it'll take ya 10 seconds. No big deal though.

Not sure whats up here with my shoulders...

I only pop in to check certain threads.. when you are in contest prep you'll understand.. I'll take a look, thanks for saving me that 10seconds

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for this.

You have an awesome physique IBD. I only hope my genetics give me such a shape once I'm a little more developed.

Goodluck bro.. lol I looked at the pics posted and was like whoa! I'm freakin fat there.. around 4.5% as of now 2wks out from comp.

You're getting there SB just keep hitting it hard and eating well.
    -B D
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]

I B D
    AR VET

naeem is offline Junior Member
    what is Decline hammer strength?is it a machine if so can some one post a pic please?

Yes it's a brand of equipment dedicated to a specific movement Decline Bench press. You could also sub it for decline dumbbell presses etc..

http://webpages.ursinus.edu/fitnessc...raldecline.htm
    -B D
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]

I B D
    AR VET

still waiting to see you back routine BD

10days out from contest.. afterwards I'll update thread. Not enough patience/time or energy right now lol..

Coming soon.

Columbus is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a chest ? for you bro….

Someone looking to pack on chest mass, I’ve done dbell press first 12,10,8,6,6 followed by incline dbell 4 sets, decline 3 sets and a fly movement for 2 sets each of the past 8 weeks or so. I haven’t flat benched in awhile using the barbell. Should I switch it up this week and go all barbell? Using the above method? Much thanks!

The routine looks like you might be overtraining a bit and not going intense enough.. I've switched to HIT training since posting this thread which works great as well. The problem with so many sets like you have listed is that you can't go to maximum effort during each set, there is no way to do this and finish the proclaimed workout.

I'd stick with DB's for 6-8wks and progressively try and get stronger each workout, and then switch to barbell and do the same. Keep a log.

what would be a good bench schema then? 2 warms and then 3 all out working sets?

Leader05 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by naeem
    what is Decline hammer strength?is it a machine if so can some one post a pic please?
    check this link bro
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exerc...rpullovers.htm

Yep that's a good link to go by for proper form of exercises.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by I**mfkr
    Yep that's a good link to go by for proper form of exercises.

2 questions.

I'm about the same build in the first picture you posted. How heavy are you there? I'm arouind 190lbs 8% currently, 5"11.

Second question. You saw your diets near flawless. You ever posted it. I'd like to see it. Not o critisize it. But to get tips from it. You can PM it to me if thats easier **. Thanks mate.

My offseason diet isn't flawless but it is compared to many other people I know and I use zero shakes/supps..

First pic was in 2003 I was around 160lbs or so, last pic I was around 198-200.. now I'm 220ish.. I'm 5'9.
    Boy was I doing everything wrong back then.. lol Wish I knew what I think I know now

I'll try and put it on paper in the near future. I am currently doing 2high carb days and one low carb day.

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Thanks I**mfkr...great routine and for putting in the time!

matt50 is offline Associate Member
    good routine....i'm going to start doing your chest routine starting next week...(obviously with less weight )

Here's a link to another good Chest routine HIT training.

HIT Training - Chest/Shoulders/Tri's

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    excellent link both you two!!!...

BIG BUMP ( great read and change of routine... never really experimented with something like this)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by I**mfkr
    My offseason diet isn't flawless but it is compared to many other people I know and I use zero shakes/supps..

First pic was in 2003 I was around 160lbs or so, last pic I was around 198-200.. now I'm 220ish.. I'm 5'9.
    Boy was I doing everything wrong back then.. lol Wish I knew what I think I know now

I'll try and put it on paper in the near future. I am currently doing 2high carb days and one low carb day.
    I am pretty confident MY diet is flawless...you should be too, esp. if you can keep abs doing no cardio and burning minimal cals 4 out of 7 days of the week...that's amazing, I need 20 mins am cardio to keep my abs, at least I think I do....mever tried it wo but I'm gaining 1-2lbs or 4-5lbs a month

Everyone's diet needs work as we will constantly make small changes and experiment with different foods etc.. but yes my diet is pretty on point being that I do no cardio and only lift twice/wk and stay under 10%.

I'll show you mine (i know you could care less) if you show me yours....lol

Little sample?

Shoot me a PM or start a new thread and we'll compare.. lets keep this thread open.
    I do care, I like to see different approaches.

I think someone was looking for this.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    bump!

SNUKA is offline Member
    Nice.. I was wanting to change my chest routine up and I just started something almost identical to this, but I threw in some flies at the end I'm gonna give this one a try for the next couple of workouts and see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information