Always Liftin' is offline Associate Member

Reps for abs calves V.S. Others.... (Question)

Well, ive done years of reading and i still cant seem to figure out the right rep amount for abs and calves, i am one of those guys who somebody has taken a piss in our gene pools and well, i cant grow calves for shit, so i cant really ever measure my progress by switching reps up and stuff. So, I know im going to get many opinions on this but what would you all say are the average rep ranges for calves and abs?

Thanks,
    Always Liftin'

unvme9180 is offline Associate Member
    when i do abs i usually do sets of 20. i do roman chair leg lifts and weighted crunches in an upright cruch machine. are you familiar with the machine im talking about? i dont know how to describe it any other way. i usually do 3 sets of 20 with 100lbs or so on the weighted crunch machine. i definetly have abs but im bulking right now so they dont look very nice but they will pop out when I cut down.

a-bomb83 is offline New Member
    treat them like any other bodypart in terms of sets/rep schemes. why would you train them any different?

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    i do set of 25-30 on abbs and set of 12-15 on calves.

jef
    jef is offline Member
    abs: leg lifts 4 sets of 12-15, 4 sets of cable crunches
    calves: 4 sets of 15-20 seated, 4 sets 15-20 standing
    2-3second tempo. burns like a mofo and works great for me

Triple X is offline Banned
    The main abdominal muscle, the rectus abdominis, is one continuous muscle that connects at the base of the rib cage and inserts at the pubic bone. Your rectus abdominis does not contract like a hinge. If you could lay it out on a table and watch it contract, it would roll up. This is why the traditional sit-up is a waste of time. With a sit-up, your abs stay flat; they don't roll up. Sit-ups predominantly work your hip flexors.

The abdominals, intercostals and obliques, the muscles that comprise your midsection, are muscles, and should be trained as such. Concentrate on the quality of the reps being done, not the quantity. Forcefully contract your abs at the flexation point of each rep.

Regardless of how hard you work your abs or how strong they become, excess body fat will keep them hidden. You need to maintain low body fat through sensible diet and cardiovascular work.

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple X
    The main abdominal muscle, the rectus abdominis, is one continuous muscle that connects at the base of the rib cage and inserts at the pubic bone. Your rectus abdominis does not contract like a hinge. If you could lay it out on a table and watch it contract, it would roll up. This is why the traditional sit-up is a waste of time. With a sit-up, your abs stay flat; they don't roll up. Sit-ups predominantly work your hip flexors.

The abdominals, intercostals and obliques, the muscles that comprise your midsection, are muscles, and should be trained as such. Concentrate on the quality of the reps being done, not the quantity. Forcefully contract your abs at the flexation point of each rep.

Regardless of how hard you work your abs or how strong they become, excess body fat will keep them hidden. You need to maintain low body fat through sensible diet and cardiovascular work.
    Damn, talk about knowledge. Nothing more nothing less.

Thread Information