Thread: abs trainning

physio_sport is offline Banned

abs trainning

this is just a post about ab training. i noticed that some people train there stomach avery day or other day with about 50+ reps.
    the thing that they forget is that the abs are a mucle group too and have to be trainned like other muscles like twice a week max
    and with lower reps about 10. if your not gainning any quality in your midsection then try and use weight resistance like a 10kg plate on your chest while doing crunches etc..
    i read this on ast-ss.com i cant remember the exact link to this source but when i do ill put it up.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    You are right bro 2-3 times a week MAX the abs need to recover as well as any other body part.People have a misunderstanding that if you train the abs harder they will finally show......nope you need diet and cardio for that but also remember that if you workout your abs are used for every ex performed.

Next time you do leg ext as you lift the weight up crunch your abs at the same time I find I get hell of a burn as you hold the crunch for as long as you do the weight.

Billy

also i forgot to mention that to see a six pack you have to have a six pack. instead of trying to define your stomach try and build the muscle.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I couldn't agree more! Its so funny to see a fat guy doing abs for 30 minutes EVERY DAY who thinks he's hardcore. I'll stick to twice a week with weight resistance and a healthy diet.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i was just reading that in muscular development. people do abs 5x a week for sets of 100. would anyone train their chest, arms, or legs like that? somewhere along the line people got the impression that abs should be trained everyday. twice a week is plenty

just train the abs like other body parts and see results.
    and please please please stay away from magic late night tv commercals where they calim to have a machine which will build you a six pack in 60 days.

pureanger is offline Senior Member
    A good diet is the key to good abs everyone seems to forget this.

CYCLEON Guest
    yup - look at skinny guys and they still have washboards - its all about diet if you wanna see them - getting thick abs takes trining them just like any other body part.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Couldn't agree more. One thing, some folks forget is that Abs are muscles, hince that can grow just like any other muscle. I know a fella (myself included), an avid volleyball player, which uses abs like no other sport, I have large abs and they protrude making me look like i have a gut. That is because my abs get alot of working. I have found that a good diet, and watch carbs and cardio will give you wash board abs just as easy as working them. Fact is most men store fat cells around their stomach's (I got the worse), so working out those abs, if you have alot of fat, will make them protrude out, and make you look like you have a gut. here in the last 4 weeks I have been on a strict training regimen, with low carbs and no ab workout whatsoever, and I have the washboard abs (well almost), but I have found in my own studies that my abs respond better to diet, than just working them out. I guess what it boils down to is know your body.

georgie24 is offline Member
    I FORGET WHERE I GOT THIS FROM IT MIGHT OF BEEN ON HERE.BUT ANYWAYS
    BUT THERE IS A GUY IN THE GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS THATS DID 25000 SIT UPS STRAIGHT YEA 25000 AND HE DOESNT EVEN HAVE A RIPPED MID SECTION..GO FIGURE

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    geometric1...why are you yelling?

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    I train abs every day with most clients...but by Thursday my back gets tired. There is the proof that you can overtrain them. However, evey day once with leg raises, reverse crunches, bicycles, etc, is fine. Stay away from the ab machines, and for heavens sake if you want abs then eat right and do your cardio. There is no replacement for work....ok maybe marathon sex but that's it.

MuscleGuru is offline Banned
    Originally posted by geometric1
    I FORGET WHERE I GOT THIS FROM IT MIGHT OF BEEN ON HERE.BUT ANYWAYS
    BUT THERE IS A GUY IN THE GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS THATS DID 25000 SIT UPS STRAIGHT YEA 25000 AND HE DOESNT EVEN HAVE A RIPPED MID SECTION..GO FIGURE
    situps work a muscle in your back too, starts with a p i forget full name
    it is not the best exercise for abs

weighted cable crunches, leg raises, crunches are better by far

$uperman is offline Member
    Hey , do any of you think some of those ab machines really work ?
    I find i get a much better burn from just regular ab exercises then machines.

Your abs are not like your pecs and quads. Like the calf muscle the fibers are different. I am not an advocate of ab machines and weights at all because I don't want thicker ab muscles. Normal ab work hanging leg raises and a few crunches will get your abs in shape. Then as long as you train your lower back you'll have a good balance. This has been practiced tested and true. Now everyone is different and responds differently to training, but for the masses...

good abs are the foundation of a good body

without good abs and a 6pack the rest can't really be respected

primodonna is offline Female Member
    I RESPECT 260# men at 12% more than I do 150# men at 6% who do nothing but starve themselves and smoke crack all day long...not that all skinny guys with abs do that (just an exaggeration) but i'm just saying abs are not what makes a person at all.
    What happens here, stays here

Originally posted by MuscleGuru

I've gotta disagree wholeheartedly with that one (I'm not saying it becuse I don't have a 6 pack at present). Not everybody trains, diets or juices to get lean and ripped. Even competitve bodybuilders don't have 6 packs year round. I don't want to look like a Calvin Clien underwear model (no offence pbnyc) I 'd rather look like Jouko Ahola.

P

I guess every person will have a different opinion on this matter

I personally think abs make a person look more healthy and fit

Then maybe you should visit www.bodyforlife.com I understand that all the winners have 6 packs...and they have a message board.

P

And they all have Bill Phillips tatoos. LOL

or better yet...go to

www.coors.com

lots of 6-packs there

ahhhh drinking, the only true form of happiness

how about 245 at 12%? and never smoked crack....at least not recently

why would i want a six pack when i can have a keg?
    Last edited by dane26; 10-19-2001 at 05:06 PM.

what did you edit there dane? was that 12 really a 16?

people think differently bro

some like strength, some like big, some just like a firm body with abs, hell some just like pure fat, just different opinions

Originally posted by MuscleGuru
    good abs are the foundation of a good body

I didn't say you weren't entitled to an opinion all I said was I diagreed with your assesment that without good abs a body can't be respected. Try lifting with me for one workout and I garantee you'll respect my body. I'm not angry at you...just asking you to think before posting. This board is all about respect. Give it and get it! In the future you could start off with"In my opinion..." or "My feelings on this topic are..." then people wouldn't be so quick to react.

P

actually, princess primo, i added the keg comment. if you must know......

princess? what do you want from me?

whoa whoa whoa. pete, i just caught that comment about "without abs, i can't really respect the rest". did he really say that, or is somebody with editing powers palying around? you gotta be kidding

anything I post is in my opinion that's a given
    you might lift a lot (I don't even know how much you lift) but not everything is about lifting

I simply ment abs look better

a friend of mine was given anadrol along with anavar for his first cycle (not a good first cycle ofcourse) and he gained about 20lbs in the first 2weeks
    he could lift a lot, so what?

for some reason, everything I say is taken the wrong way on this board

could 912 other members be wrong?

it isnt about right or wrong
    I am not disrespecting your opinions
    I am just stating my own

Did you or did you not say...that without a 6 pack a persons body can't be respected? What that says to me is you do not respect anybody without a 6 pack. Do you know how many people on this board you are disrespecting by saying that?

Do you know who Doug Brolus is? The guy claims to have the perfect abs and he does have extremely well developed defined abdominal muscles....but the rest of him looks like total shit. So by your rational, if you stood him beside an off season Milos Sarcev are you telling me only Brolus would have your respect?

If you're presenting your opinion fine...preface your post with "In my opinion"...didn't I say this already?

P

abs are the foundation, but a lot of other things have to do with it

abs are the foundation for what? are you telling me that abs are more important as a foundation that giant sweeping quads, a thick deep chest, round wide delts and a strong thick back? i puts abs in the category with forearms and calves. they're not as even as important as traps. if abs were that important, we would all have a day set aside dedicated to training abs. they're an ancillary muscle gruop. striclty for show. there's alot of powerlifter types on this board as well who would agree with me

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Abbs

Dumbells made an interesting comment cocncerning his clients. I have always recommended abbs as much as possible. Now before you cringe, hear me out. The abbs are not like any other muscle group that you have in your body. Here we are training for density, not bulk. I have known a couple of guy's in our gym that trainned with weights and the abbs like any other muscle slowly began to respond. They had a 6 pack which stuck out kinda like a small gut. It was really wierd looking. Anyway, I tend to leave weights alone in this area useing only body weight. Like everyone has already mentioned, CARDIO and DIET will only bring out your abbs really well. BUT, we use our abbs SO much in just about every lift that you do. You would really be surprised how often you use your abbs in everyday activities and since we are training for densitity here, and not bulk I have not seen a problem with training them everyday. At one point my girl friend was doing set ups everynight at 100 reps per set up to 900 total a night. Man her midsection is somthing to be admired.
    IC

Thread Information