suprman09 is offline Associate Member

Correct number of reps/sets?

When I work out for each body party I usually do something like 12/10/10/8 or 12/10/8/6 depending on how I feel. Is this a good amount of sets and reps to get stronger and bigger? I usually do 4-5 exercises for each body part as well. Also when I do flat bench I do a chart that goes like this 12/10/8/6/4/2/8. Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks.

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suprman09
    When I work out for each body party I usually do something like 12/10/10/8 or 12/10/8/6 depending on how I feel. Is this a good amount of sets and reps to get stronger and bigger? I usually do 4-5 exercises for each body part as well. Also when I do flat bench I do a chart that goes like this 12/10/8/6/4/2/8. Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks.
    IMO this is not a good amount to get stronger and bigger, but an amount that will more than likely lead to over training. Drop your number of exercises to 3 for larger muscle groups and 2 for smaller muscle groups if you want to do 4 sets per exercise. I would also suggest never going under 6 reps, unless you are going to be a power lifter.

suprman09 is offline Associate Member
    How many sets and reps do you recommend to get stronger and bigger?

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    bro!

fullmoon just told u how! Big Muscles (Quads,Hams,Chest,Back) 3 exercises X 4 sets
    and Small groups (bis, tris, shoulders, calves, abs) 2 x 4 sets

you can also do 4 x 3 for big and 3 x 2-3 for small

cheers

i never do more than 14-16 total sets in one session. anything more than that is overtraining for me. chest day is usually 1 warm up and 4 working sets of an incline/middle pressing motion, 3 sets of a fly motion, and 3 sets of some sort of dip/lower chest press. After that my chest is usually toast. finish up with a few sets of isolated tricep stuff like skulls, close grip bench or extensions and i'm beat after that. 40g of protien, 80g of dex right after, then a big ppwo meal. that has been my sucess story with chest.

FullMoonHowlingWolf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suprman09
    How many sets and reps do you recommend to get stronger and bigger?
    Re-read my post for the answer.

Thread Information