• I get great results from them

7 30.43%
  • They dont really work for me

2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Pec Flyes...

l Viruz l is offline Junior Member

Pec Flyes...

Ive heard Flyes are useless and ive heard flyes are great. What do you guys think about them

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Definitely a must in any good chest routine imo. I am referring to bodybuilding though, maybe powerlifters wouldnt use this movement or at least too often but to be a bodybuilder I would DEFINITELY include it. I think they stimulate your chest more than a pressing movement. Your pecs are used to bringing your arms medially and thats how you flex them as well. Flies are no doubt a good chest exercise.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It's good for a finalizing movement to fully deplete the muscle (maximum fiber recruitment) and stretch the tissue out... but heavy compound free weight movements should always be your bread-and-butter...

matt50 is offline Associate Member
    i agree flies are good for the last excercise to finally stretch out the muscle after doing the presses

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    flyes are great. as with many isolation exercises, they have many uses in my training. pre-exausting before pressing exercises, supersetting with presses or pullovers, or as a last exercise to finish off my chest, or just as a straight exercise

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    flies are the bomb... if you really focus on squeezing the right muscles (inner pecs) as opposed to just using your entire chest to finish the rep, you can feel the burn that lets you know you're punishing them good!

Triple X is offline Banned
    I think they are very important and much more effective for building mass than they are given credit for.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    How could flys be useless
    They are one of my favorite exercies, don't do real heavy weight and hold and give a good squeeze. Use on d-bells and/or cables.

Triple X is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by audis4
    How could flys be useless
    They are one of my favorite exercies, don't do real heavy weight and hold and give a good squeeze. Use on d-bells and/or cables.
    Because most people use way too much weight and also have really shitty form. I'd say 90% of the people I see doing flys are doing them wrong, thus making them useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple X
    Because most people use way too much weight and also have really shitty form. I'd say 90% of the people I see doing flys are doing them wrong, thus making them useless.
    I am with you here - people tend to abuse flyes like they do bicep curls... using too much weight and turning it into a whole new ball game. I don't subscribe to the idea that there is an "inner chest" muscle - only upper and lower (minor and major pec) - but I do believe flyes, if performed correctly, will help thicken the chest via increased fiber recruitment and by stretching the muscle fascia...

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you warrior, but i think there is an upper and Middle chest, not lower, and I dont mean middle in the sense of "inner" there is no inner, but upper and middle...

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided09
    I'm with you warrior, but i think there is an upper and Middle chest, not lower, and I dont mean middle in the sense of "inner" there is no inner, but upper and middle...
    Thats simple verbage - the actual names are pec major and minor... wether you want to refer to the major as lower or middle matters little, I guess.

Many go with the idea that a fan shaped muscle (such as the pecs) might have some shaping ability but I highly doubt it... genetics play the role in muscular shape of any given bodybuilder.

If you want a better "inner chest" you need more pec mass in general... period. The inner chest valley is earned through muscular maturity and straight up ball-busting progressive overload training.

The muscles recruited in the chest (EMG results can guide you to the best fiber isolation):

Minor:

Major (Sternal Head):

Major (Clavicular Head):

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I think it depends on the individual (biomechanics etc.); and execution.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I used to never do flies..I have just recently incorporated them regularly and I love them

l Viruz l is offline Junior Member
    I just started doing them not to long ago and i LOVE them! i defintly feel the burn way more then most other chest excersises, ive been super setting them with the cable cross overs. When im done with the flys and get off the machine i still feel burning, its great ;]

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    Warrior, I think what I am getting more at, is that we see too many people taking this approach on chest day....Flat for 3 sets, Incline for 3 sets, Decline for 3 sets, assuming that each "part" of the chest has been hit....As you and I know not the case, and I'm just trying to put these myths to rest, as you are ofcourse...

~M.A.D.

Thread Information