Thread: Cardio Basics

MoneyAddyct is offline Member

Cardio Basics

Hey bros. For the last 2-3 years, since I've been training consistently, I've never once done cardio. I know it's healthy for you and beneficial in more ways than just fat loss, but I've never done it. I never felt I needed to. But now I think it's time--I don't have a "belly" but my abs are pretty much non-existant at this point. I'm also satisfied, at least right now, with my mass and would like a little more definition especially in the shoulders/arm regions. When it comes to diet and training, I'm fairly knowledgeable, but with cardio I know nothing!

What are the basics? I've read that AM cardio on an empty stomach is the best. I've also read that you shouldn't concern yourself with how many calories you burned, but rather focus on your heart rate. How do I find out my target heart rate and where I need to maintain it during my cardio session? How long should my sessions be and how many times a week to start? What is the best machine to use--treadmill, elliptical, etc? THANK YOU GUYS!

MoneyAddyct

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Am cardio is best.. But there is alot of debate some will say POst workout is fine. I suggest AM.

Finding your heart rate you can use a watch, or the equipment may have heart rate moniters. It should be done at 65-70 max heart rate 220-age*65%

Machine are alll good. Some people will don't like the treadmill because its hard on your joints. Other use the bike/ stairmaster.. Its prefrence and its always good to change it up once in a while. So you dont get bored.

Sessions should be about 30-45minx3 bulking
    Cutting would could be 30-45x5-6

Now when you say x3 for bulking, what do you mean exactly? Is it possible to lose fat and bulk at the same time?

I dont no about loosing fat when bulking. That depends on your Diet. However, Cardio when bulking helps to keep the fat down, preventing more faf from piling on..!

Get it?

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Ofcourse you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, it is just extremely difficult because most ppl either can't maintain such a strict diet/training regimen for a prolonged period of time or they don't know their body well enough to know the exact amount of calories needed for this to occur.. anabolics would obviously be helpful in this situation as you would be on the verge of being catabolic constantly, personally I'd stick to one or the other and just try to maintain as much LBM as possible while cutting and try and keep as much BF off of you while bulking.
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

As always, thanks for help bros.

Hey, I've got two more questions for those of you out there way more knowledgeable than I:

1. Can I do cardio right after a workout? If so, do I need to consume a protein shake before the cardio and after the weight training or can the PWO shake wait until both are completed?

2. Is it important to eat right before cardio/ right after OR is maintaining a regular schedule (every 2 hours) and fitting cardio in between eating sessions adequate?

As always, thanks bros.

bump

No one?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyAddyct
    Hey, I've got two more questions for those of you out there way more knowledgeable than I:

1. Can I do cardio right after a workout? Yes you can 30min is the recommened after a hard workout. I would take the shake/have it ready right after your cardio

2. Is it important to eat right before cardio/ right after OR is maintaining a regular schedule (every 2 hours) and fitting cardio in between eating sessions adequate? Well if you train for 1hour and cardio is about 30 min. Get your PWO shake in asap. And your pre-workout meal 1-1.5hrs before.
    As always, thanks bros.

Answers in bold

Thanks for the response. Exactly what I needed to know--much appreciated!

MoneyAddyct

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    I've read that AM cardio on an empty stomach is the best.
    Here's all you need to know about this one, long read but worth your time. Bump the thread is necassary.

Cardio on an empty stomach???

I've done some more research and reading and I have a few more follow-up questions. I'm sure they are will within the scope of the knowledge of most here.

1. Is cardio for only 20-30 minutes really effective in weight loss? I see people on the boards saying you should do cardio for 45 min - 1hr. Do they have it wrong? Or is there an unstated relationship between frequency and duration that those people are operating under (that is, does a greater frequency allow for a shorter duration)?

2. Why is it then when "thinking" about cardio, one should think in terms of heart rate and percentages of maximum heart rate instead of calories burned? What does achieving a certain heart rate do in terms of fat loss that burning calories does not? (Feel free to point me to an article or something for that one)

3. Lastly, and this is perhaps a little unrelating to the above....My arms have always been lagging in proportion to my other muscle groups. Where my chest and shoulders grow steadily and without much difficulty, I have to work VERY hard for every mm that my arms grow. Right now, I seem to be satisfied with their size, however, but would like more definition. Through the process of cardio and fatloss (ie, the process of acquiring definition) will the size/circumference of my arms get smaller at all? And, if yes, is that not to say that they couldn't LOOK bigger?

Thanks again bros!

MoneyAddyct

No takers?

Did you read the whole thread that Jay just posted for you?

yes, but it didnt really answer those questions, if that's the point you were trying to make.

Well, question 1 is a little clearer from re-reading the above posted thread, but I'm still wondering about 2 and 3.

Try and get a answer when I have more time, they need to be explain more in depth than one liners Hope to have some free time tomorrow.

Thanks I**mfkr, much appreciated, I look forward to it

bump

1. Is cardio for only 20-30 minutes really effective in weight loss? I see people on the boards saying you should do cardio for 45 min - 1hr. Do they have it wrong? Or is there an unstated relationship between frequency and duration that those people are operating under (that is, does a greater frequency allow for a shorter duration)?
    Yes if you're glycogen depleted, say first thing in the AM, although 30-40mins would be more effective since it takes a given amount of time for your body to release fat into the bloodstream.
    2. Why is it then when "thinking" about cardio, one should think in terms of heart rate and percentages of maximum heart rate instead of calories burned? What does achieving a certain heart rate do in terms of fat loss that burning calories does not? (Feel free to point me to an article or something for that one)
    If your heart rate raises too high then your body will simply burn muscle glycogen rather than trigger fat to be released and burned as energy. Calories burned can be important as well if you're using cardio to become in a calorie deficient state. Ideal heartrate would be 65-75% of MHR (max heart rate), Formula to figure this out would be 220-age x .65 or .75 = THR (target heart rate)

3. Lastly, and this is perhaps a little unrelating to the above....My arms have always been lagging in proportion to my other muscle groups. Where my chest and shoulders grow steadily and without much difficulty, I have to work VERY hard for every mm that my arms grow. Right now, I seem to be satisfied with their size, however, but would like more definition. Through the process of cardio and fatloss (ie, the process of acquiring definition) will the size/circumference of my arms get smaller at all? Yes as you lose fat you will lose a bit of size overall on your body, but since fat has not shape and muscle does, you should be satisfied with results.. A lot depends on genetics and where you hold your fat/retain water and also how much muscle is underneath the fat once it comes off And, if yes, is that not to say that they couldn't LOOK bigger? It's an illusion, again it depends on many factors. When I diet down my arms normally lose around an inch but they look 10 times better than off season. Varies from person to person.

Thanks again bros!

MoneyAddyct
    Here are a few brief responses, none really in much detail but it gives you a general idea to your questions.

Thank you, it sure did. Much appreciated.

Thread Information