Venum is offline Member

half rep bench for strength?

hello all.....i have a friend who does his bench press much different than me....i go down to about 2 inches from my chest to get that stretch, but he only goes down to about 8 inches off the chest like a 1/3 of the way down..does this build strength??? because he was always much smaller than me, has absolutley no diet at all, but is stronger on bench...we are about equal in strenght in most excersizes, he has an edge on chest and bi's....i dont understand how a guy so much smaller that doesnt eat barely 3 crap meals a day can have so much strength....he only goes half down for bench like i said, so does that mean i should try that go gain some lbs on the bench press? do half/1/3 reps get strength up?

notorious_mem is offline Senior Member
    i personally touch my chest with the bar,but 8 inches seems like towel bench with 2 towels.i worked out with a guy who was strong as hell on his workout but never grew cus he did the same half way down on everything. half the work half the results from what ive seen.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I come down to about 2 inches from my chest... If I came down to only about 8 inches then I could bench more too. Have your friend try to bench comming to to the 2 inch range and see if he can bench as much, my guess would be no. Those last few inches towards the chest are the hardest ones IMHO.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

zodiac666 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    Those last few inches towards the chest are the hardest ones IMHO.
    definitely agree, the bottom part of the bench press is without question the hardest part. i always try to utilize a full range of motion, i believe it was milos sarcev who said "partial movement = partial muscle development"

that being said this is really a question for a power lifter to answer. i know they train completely different than bodybuilders so i couldnt say if that would increase your bench or not.

when you say he is stronger on benching than you, do you mean that he can bench more than you doing a full range of motion or he can bench more than you stopping 8" away from his chest? i mean if he is stopping 8" away from his chest, of course he will do a shitload more weight.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    it's the same concept as static training...

measuring of strength is subjective, i beat guys alot bigger than me at arm wrestling all the time.. seems to be a measure most people will respect.

Bench is s measurement.. if someone does a bench at 525lbs would you be impressed??? if it were done on a hammer machine would you still be impressed?? no?? try it..

static training can both protect joints and increase strength..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

WidowMaker is offline Associate Member
    This is a movement that is performed for stength. In powerlifting we use a lot of different variations to build bench strength. We use boards, bands, chains, and lot of the rack work also to develop bench strength. As well as a ton of accessory work. To get the final product:to bench stronger, lowering the bar all the way to the chest, pause, then raising the bar straight up not in a curve towards the rack.

What you friend is primarily doing is building his overall tricep strength in the type of benching he is doing. If he isn't already he will have to do some chest and shoulder work to complement this b/c sooner or later he will stall on his benching.

There are many variations to beching as well as opinions and accessory work to build up your bench so choose wisely.
    Last edited by WidowMaker; 10-11-2006 at 08:16 AM.

Mobligator is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WidowMaker
    This is a movement that is performed for stength. In powerlifting we use a lot of different variations to build bench strength. We use boards, bands, chains, and lot of the rack work also to develop bench strength. As well as a ton of accessory work. To get the final product:to bench stronger, lowering the bar all the way to the chest, pause, then raising the bar straight up not in a curve towards the rack.

What you friend is primarily doing is building his overall tricep strength in the type of benching he is doing. If he isn't already he will have to do some chest and shoulder work to complement this b/c sooner or later he will stall on his benching.

There are many variations to beching as well as opinions and accessory work to build up your bench so choose wisely.
    There's a truckload of wisdom in this posting! Your best benchers will do it all as mentioned above plus some static work. There have been some studies showing that partial reps and static work will extrapoplate into strength for the full range but it's best to try them all. Also, if you have any intentions of competing in a contest you'll need to practice that pause when the bar touches your chest.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by WidowMaker

exactly. take it form 2powerlifters, partial lifts are how to raise you overall press, rack lockouts and board presses are great auxillary lifts.

Thread Information