Columbus is offline Anabolic Member

Squats - Weekly?

I squat every single week on Sundays. Two days after I do heavy deads (fridays) so my lower back is pretty zonked by today. Does anyone rotate squats weekly and feel they get the same benefit or maybe even more of one by using this method?

I am terrified to take a week off and replace them with front squats or all leg press, or even hacks...becuase everything I read says they are the KEY to growth, to test production, to LIFE...lol....thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Columbus
    I squat every single week on Sundays. Two days after I do heavy deads (fridays) so my lower back is pretty zonked by today. Does anyone rotate squats weekly and feel they get the same benefit or maybe even more of one by using this method?

I am terrified to take a week off and replace them with front squats or all leg press, or even hacks...becuase everything I read says they are the KEY to growth, to test production, to LIFE...lol....thoughts?

It all depends on what the rest of your program looks like and how demanding it is. I've attacked it from every angle, squats the day after deads, Day of dead, day before deads, squats eo wk, leg presses or hacks opposite weeks. If your doing alot of leg extensions and leg curls as well, then I'd say once/wk w/ legs is enough. And resistance is resistance, it's not like only squatting eo wk will make you lose size, you can gain either way. Dorian Yates never did squats, just heavy presses and hacks, and he was huge!!! Right now I squat 3x/wk. I'm on this powerlifting routine, I squat,bench,dead and sometimes row all in the same day, and my legs are getting huge from it, but I only train 3x/wk and these are about the only movements I do. So it all depends on the intensity/volume of the rest of the week, as well as sleep, food, recovery.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    If squatting 2 days after deads is creating discomfort... why not rearrange your program/split to put further distance between the days you squat and dead on?

I squat on Tuesdays.. and do deads on Fridays..

Columbus is offline Anabolic Member
    so concenus is to not skip squats one week out of 4?

Vicktor is offline New Member
    Try and do them every other week and see how it goes... Do deads during the week you don't do squats... And do something different for back work during the week you do squats...

matt50 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos

I squat on Tuesdays.. and do deads on Fridays..

same here...gives u that extra day to recoop

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"

i have tried it, it worked bad for me, very bad, lost strength in both the squat and dead, you need more time btwnn squat and dead day. change the program around, i deadlift tuesday, and squat saturday so i get a little over 3 days rest and it makes a huge difference, i used to squat in the begining of the wk and dead later in the wk, but i found by reading some articles that some elite lifters would deadlit first, i tried it out and it worked for me.also on my dead day id do at least squat auxillary (light for speed) either i do some lockouts, close stance, bands with boxes,etc etc, but i do pick a squat movement and focus on speed and explosion, i dont go heavy, i save that for my real squat day on saturday

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    so concenus is to not skip squats one week out of 4?
    this isnt a bad idea, i know lifters who do this with the deadlift, i dont know to many who do it with the squat though, same principle , it would help you recuperate,this is one of those things you have to try foryourself and figure it out, it works different for everyone depending on their genetics,aas, and goals

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    because deads take alot out of you and can interfere with other exercises is why i do them 3x a week but only 1 set per day with a couple of good warm-ups.my deads have increased alot more than when i was doing them b4,once per week,also the more consecutive sets i did(in my old routine) the weaker my form got.

Thread Information