peteroy01 is offline Senior Member

How good are sprints?

im getting bored lifting legs. wood doing 10- 40meter sprints at 90% be good enough for a good leg beating?

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    if you are looking for growth than i dont think sprints would be near comparable to say squats

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Agreed... squats are excellent exercise to keep in your routine if you are able to do them. There are lots of other exercises you can do. What leg muscles are you trying to work that you are bored with currently? Post here and I can make some suggestions on different exercises to introduce into your routine.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

zodiac666 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peteroy01
    im getting bored lifting legs. wood doing 10- 40meter sprints at 90% be good enough for a good leg beating?
    depends on what your goals are, sprints wouldnt be the best thing to add size but they can be beneficial in some ways.

not saying this is the case but if you are just looking to find an easier way to do legs, you're already screwed. getting a good leg workout will take a lot of pain no matter how you do them.

i dont do sprinting as part of my leg workout but i do use intense exercise like sprinting and sparing as my cardio. i feel it keeps me more athletic as i gain more weight.

2bshredded is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    Thats a really shitty idea by the way. thats putting on a clinic for pussing out the most effective exercise (deadlifts too) known to man
    Hmmm....maybe you could really tell us how you feel

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    hey IronReload04 JERKOFF, i think he gets the point, stop whoring the thread with you negative banter and watch your mouth or i will be happy to help give you a vacation from the board. be respectful! and if you feel like uping your post count go to the lounge and go to the post whore thread, dont bring your nonsense here

GUnit33 is offline Member
    Sprints with a parachute are killer. Order one from Eastbay...they work wonders... Once I started using that and the ladder I ordered too, my quickness and explosiveness has increased insanely.

and NO it isnt a bad idea at all, i dont think youshould cut squats completely, but maybe not as frequently. have you ever seen the leg size of olypic sprtinters? they have massive legs and they dont train the squat like a body builder, they do more running than anything. sprints are the way togo, stick with quick twitch movements(slwo twitch are a waste for size and strength, you can also addd in some plyometirc bounding, leaping, sled drags, box jumps, jump rope etc etc, all these dynamic movements can and will help you with functional training,stength and speed more than aesthetic training like body building, BUT you will stillgain size doing these movements as welll.

i hyperextended my shoulder one summer and couldnt get my under the squat bar without extreme pain, i bought a pair of "strength shoes" trained a whole lot of plymoetrci movements. when my shoulder healed and i got back to squating, i found that my squat increased and i dintlose any size or strenght using this aproach.

by no means is sprinintg the best way to put on size, but it can be used as an alternative to give your self a break from squats or give you a few other options of way to work your legs outside of the gym

thanx guys. i guess im just getting bored doing squats. i tore something in my knee(cant remember what the doc called it) 6mon ago so i cant really go balls to the wall while squatting so thats why im so bored.
    and what i want from lifting legs- I was the dude that was all top heavy, then started fighting and had no take down power. Its helped a sht load. but i dont want to screw my knee up again.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    sorry guys. i left my computer, and left this website on and didnt close out, and my idiot room mate assclown thought it would be funny to talk some shit.

he's in to lifting to like me, doesnt really do the boards thing.

I will be sure to leave a bruise on his arm or somthing lol. the very first post was by me, but after that, i dont know what was said

thanx guys. i guess im just getting bored doing squats. i tore something in my knee(cant remember what the doc called it) 6mon ago so i cant really go balls to the wall while squatting so thats why im so bored.
    and what i want from lifting legs- I was the dude that was all top heavy, then started fighting and had no take down power. Its helped a sht load. but i dont want to screw my knee up again.
    wrap your knees when doing leg lifts from now on, give it a littlle bit more stability

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    On some days I do...:::

free body squats, free body lunges, free body calf raises, frog hops, jump overs, and dirty dogs....

after about 3 sets of 20 or so from those, excpet dirty dogs, do 3 sets of 50..

i do sprints:: usually along the lines of
    5 20m
    5 40m
    5 60m
    3 100m
    2 220m
    1 440m

those ****ing high sprints r killer....the next day, yr butt will be sore like hell.

Im also looking into that running chute that gunit was talking about....or running bungie cords.......some people just tie a tire to their selves and sprint.

I like sprints...good workout for your heart, and legs

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Run hills or bleachers, cuts your legs up like a mofo and will give you some awesome cardio....

EQismypoise is offline Junior Member
    Hey man i just graduated HS in Texas i was one of the only white kids to make it to state for 100m and 200m! I am very lean and now trying to put on size and all the size i got from my legs which is pretty damn good for no wieght training was from sprinting, throw in some heavy squats a couple times a month! But sprinting is the shiz so i think u should try it out for a couple months and see what happends!

eljeffe is offline Junior Member
    also think of who the most defined best bodies in all of pro sports belong to, DING DING DING, sprinters, definitly mixing it in will not hurt but never give up on the squats, gods gift to leg growth.

Quote Originally Posted by eljeffe
    also think of who the most defined best bodies in all of pro sports belong to, DING DING DING, sprinters, definitly mixing it in will not hurt but never give up on the squats, gods gift to leg growth.
    exactly

Blog Entries
    Get that running chute and use that workout guide!!!!!!!!! now!!!!!!!!!!

Im sprinting 2marrow....workout as follows

::
    squats 4x15
    lunges 4x15
    frog hops 3x15
    jumpovers 3x20
    heel raises 4x20
    dirty dogs 2x100

Sprints::
    20m x 5
    40m x 5
    60m x 5
    100m x 5
    200m x 3
    440m x 2

man, those r long sprints...geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sprinting is good for the soul...

wow i think the 440s would make me throw up. that sht will make u a man quick

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    Running did alot for my legs size and Definately defination. Start by running a mile a day, then add leg weights(like 5 pounds a leg) while doin it. I did that back in the day and that was the most defined/muscular my legs ever looked.

Sprints are fantastic exercise for gaining explosivness in the legs...and entire body. Best exercise for any "REAL" sport.
    Squats and sprints are my friends.

thanx for the input guys. i think im gonna take a few wks off from lifting legs so i can give my knees a break and sprint twice a wk.

Blog Entries
    wow i think the 440s would make me throw up. that sht will make u a man quick

lol those are hell!!!!!

it starts getting nasty at the 200's, but the 440's just make you dead.

my buddy puked running his lol.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    was thinking of doing sprints as well....think 40 yards would be best for size?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman
    was thinking of doing sprints as well....think 40 yards would be best for size?

thats too short IMO.

look at those olympic sprinters with huge legs, they practice in the 200m, 400m, etc.

its best to do differnet lengths...keep yr legs guessing

im not gonna run anything over 200m, anything after that i feel like im doing more cardio than building muscle and it just flat out sucks. after 180m when im trying to run 200. NO MORE GAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS

Blog Entries
    im not gonna run anything over 200m, anything after that i feel like im doing more cardio than building muscle and it just flat out sucks. after 180m when im trying to run 200. NO MORE GAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS

lol no more gas...whew its funny when doing sprints, or for me at least.

Itss like, my legs feel fine and I can keep going full speed at everything, but my body just starts slowing down at a certain point.

kinda like...my tires arent flat, but the tank is outta gas.

but u gotta love sprints.

Thread Information