Thread: Traps

shawn9811 is offline New Member

Traps

Im looking for a few good exercises to tear my traps up, Im looking to build them upwards and just not outwards(tryin to lean away from the pencil neck look). Any advice would be great

Shrug,shrug and shrug some more!
    -XL

jing jai

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    bb, db and behind the back shrugs. dont forget about deadlifts.

Montgomery is offline Associate Member
    shrugs for mass building, and upright rows for definition and shape. I do shrugs first to tire out my traps and upright rows after so that I don't have to use as much weight. A 100lb upright row is hard on the elbows and potentially lower back.

Montgomery

Jakspro is offline Member
    Deads, and FULL RANGE OF MOTION db shrugs. Emphasis on the stretch at the bottom and the contraction at the top. Deads will work the FROM so its essential that you do them. Upright rows. But i've also noticed a good stretch on close grip seated rows, yea i know, no one will mention this but if you focus on the stretch at the starting position and the contraction at the end you'll feel your traps getting a good burn. I super set them with lighter weight and heavy shrugs.

advice

after several trap workouts ive come to notice that it doesnt seem like im getting a good workout at the top of my traps near my neck. I can feel a good burn lower down in my traps and soreness thereafter, but during my workout it seems like i cant isolate the very top of my traps - bad form perhaps? need advice

Jakspro is offline Member
    seems as though you might be using too much weight and cant hold the contraction at the top long enough

well i remember reading from a post you should be shrugging somewhere near what you squat? I have upped my weight but am only doing 65's.

angelripper is offline Associate Member
    what??? get some ****ing wraps and use a barbell and quit ****ing around with light weight im 5 10 220 i always go atleast up to 405 on shrugs youll be suprised how much you can hold with some wrist wraps............just try it.

DemonInside is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angelripper
    what??? get some ****ing wraps and use a barbell and quit ****ing around with light weight im 5 10 220 i always go atleast up to 405 on shrugs youll be suprised how much you can hold with some wrist wraps............just try it.
    x2 as well as most things when you use straps. i db row 150 all day with straps it hits ya alot more

JJP480 is offline Associate Member
    Try using the afore to mentioned exercises with different rep schemes . My traps are a pain in the ass too but I have found that strict form along with varying my reps every few workout cycles has given me results .
    And you need wraps . Don't become dependant on them but add them you your arsenal .

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    I love the look of massive traps! Its the one muscle group that screams "I'm a badass"

MJ

barball shrugs, and dumbell shrugs. You could change up the barbell by doing behind the back and change up the dumbell ones by doing seated or incline shrugs. Incline shrugs and behind the back barbell shrugs will help you build em upwards.

03636 is offline Junior Member
    Try doing your shrug hunched over just a little bit. This for me has kickstarted my trap routine. I feel like it really isolates the traps. I'm getting that good soreness after every workout. The bomb.

HSFootball is offline Associate Member
    For my trap work out i do wide grip power shrugs. I thumb out from the rings with 315 on the bar and do it 20 times.

pwerfll1 is offline Banned
    seated db shrugs use some straps u can go HEAVY

SMAN12b is offline Educate B4 U Medicate
    heavy heavy dumbell shrugs
    deadlifts
    shrugs
    shrugs

BigGuy5420 is offline Associate Member
    Deadlifts work best
    then i would say db shrugs
    then bb shrugs

chest6 is offline Banned
    There was a period where I didn't do any form of a shrug for 2-3 months, yet my traps were adding the most size they ever have. My traps would feel it after back day. Deadlifting heavy killed my traps as well.

So really...3-4 sets of heavy deads and throw on 3 sets of heavy barbell shrugs in front or behind at the end of your back session and bingo.

boostedevo8 is offline Associate Member
    blah I hate straps......I usually use db shrugs 100,110,then 120s......right after that I hold on to a 45lb plate with each hand and hold the top contraction till fatigue with a 30 sec rest period for the rest period you let your arms hang while still holding on to the plates for a extreme stretch.....I do this 3 times...that will make your traps catch fire at the end of your work out, trust me lol.....

Thread Information