Tein is offline Junior Member

Adding size to legs with knee problems

Hi guys, I am 25, have been lifting for 3 years and have developed arthritis from previous sports history in both knees. I've found that most leg exercises like squats and leg presses do nothing but aggravate the arthritis to the point where they grind, fill with fluid and it's painful to flex the joint. I've tried wraps and take GC daily with minimal results but really want my legs to reflect the size of my upper body. I've been to multiple orthopedists and have had MRIs done on both knees, all tendons are healthy. Anyone have any experience with this or advice?

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    To be honest, lifting should help. Mobility is much better than immobility for the joints. Lifting not only increases strength and density of muscles, but also supporting tissue (i.e. tendons). Similarly, the stronger you get, the more your joints will secrete synovial fluid which lubricate and cushion the joints.
    Obviously you don't wanna be putting up large amounts of weight, but I think with proper training, you can work your way up to heavier weights. Stick with whats comfortable (but still pushion your muscles past what they are accustomed to) to avoid aggrevating the knees. It's gonna be a much slower process than other muscle groups, but I still think it can be done.

Also, the wraps don't help? Regardless, I would def wear support and continue taking the supplements for them. Best of luck bro.

Hmm maybe I can try light squats and presses without going full range of motion to avoid stress on the joint?

Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    Also, the wraps don't help? Regardless, I would def wear support and continue taking the supplements for them. Best of luck bro.

I didnt notice a difference with the wraps. The workout itself feels great, I can get a good pump and everything, but the next day and thereafter the joint swells with fluid and the pain sets in. Once I stop lifting legs the fluid will pass eventually and the pain and clicking/grinding will subside.

Thank you for the advice bro.

Check out Doc.Susts thread on Knee Rehabilitation in the Injury/Recovery Forum. He can give far better advice than I can on this matter. He also has a few other stickies that could benefit you.

Thread Information