Thread: Bench Press

texasmk4 is offline Associate Member

Bench Press

Hey guys does anyone know when doing bench press do you have to touch your chest with the bar in another way is it proper to take the bar all the down to your chest or keep a distance between your chest and bar?

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    depends if you are benching for bodybuilding purposes or powerlifting. I do not touch as it strains my shoulders and I am only benching for bodybuilding reasons. If you are powerlifting you will have to conform to whatever the rules are for that lift.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    depends if you are benching for bodybuilding purposes or powerlifting. I do not touch as it strains my shoulders and I am only benching for bodybuilding reasons. If you are powerlifting you will have to conform to whatever the rules are for that lift.
    Do you use a towel or a pad when you dont go all the way down to stop the weight. Cause it causes a huge build up in force due to change in momentum in the shoulder joint.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    I try to make the bottom of the movement when my arms are parrallel to the floor(when your arms are at a 90 degree angle). If I go lower than that it strains my rotator cuff. I do the same with shoulder press. As for using a pad or a towel, I haven't tried it. I have heard that the momentum could be bad, but I never had a problem with it and I have a very sensitive shoulder. Maybe I'll try a towel this week and see how it goes.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I don't use a pad but then I don'r go super heavy as I want to get reps.

MusclePRICK is offline New Member

Bench Press

I see this all the time at the gyms ..... I personally control the bar (no matter the weight) to about 1 inch from my chest .... NEVER touching it or bouncing it off my chest to get the bar back up ... Slow and Controlled will give you results ..... Try it and let me know!

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    i like to touch the bar to my chest on flat/incline/decline

it reassures me that im getting a full range of motion in the exercise

HSFootball is offline Associate Member
    Like MusclePRICK, I control the weight down to my chest and touch it(Usually about 4-5 seconds) and explode back up. It will burn like a bitch, but just fight through that shit and expect to see results.

Thread Information