tard_zone is offline Associate Member

Lower back and belts

I wear my belt usually my whole duration in the gym. Should I be wearing my belt during heavy deadlifts (6 reps)? Because I do deadlifts to target my lower back, is the belt making this less effective for hitting my lower back? Also what is another highly reccommended lower back exercise, hyper extensions?

Is wearing your belt for other exercises like: bench press, standing barbell shoulder press, and barbell curls, a good idea? I really think it helps me lift more, but I don't want my lower back to start lagging and become weak.

Triple X is offline Banned
    You can't do deadlifts to target your lower back. Yes, you should wear a belt under 8 reps unless you want your spine to shoot our of your back.

Wearing your weight belt too much will weaken your back.

tard_zone is offline Associate Member
    so i shouldn't wear a belt during bench presses, shoulder presses, barbell curls etc.

Triple X is offline Banned
    I wouldn't

ghostdog128 is offline Junior Member
    Weight belts were originally designed for olympic lifters to prevent hyperextension of the spine during overhead movements. The idea behind them is to increase intra-a**ominal pressure placing pressure on the spine and thereby stabilizing it more.. They only work when you tighten them so much you can barely breathe or move.. You should only wear them when doing HEAVY squats or deads.. other than during those times they are 100%useless.. any feelings you get of them helping you lift more are pyschological but if you think it helps then by all means use a belt.

Liberty mutual insurance conducted a study (I can post it for those that would like it) in which they studied the effects of those nylon belts you see the home depot workers wear all the time and effects on injury prevention. They found those belts did not help or prevent any injuries of the back.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    wear a belt only when you need to, on your light sets of deads, dont use the belt, this helps to build your core stabilizers, also i wouldnt wear the belt for every exercise, just use it when you need to. dont become dependent on the belt

Thread Information