quarry206 is offline Senior Member

problems with my bench

i work out for strength not so much for size... when i do my bench work outs my first rep of every set is so hard then after that i can rep easy... i don't understand how on my last sets i can't get the first rep then ride out after that...

my bench work out is
    135x20reps
    225x20reps
    315x10reps
    345x6-7reps
    385x3reps
    405x2reps

the last three sets i usually have problems with my first rep of the set... the 405 i usually need a spot on the first rep then the second rep get on my own even if struggling to do so.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    That's a hell of a flat bench session..U are stong as FCK!

StickNPuck is offline New Member
    Its a mental issue, I can kind of relate to your situation. On thing that helped me was to scratch the really easy 135 lb warmup set. You make such big jumps in weight, that the first rep of the next set you do just seems so much heavier. Then once you get through that first rep, you have mentally adapted to that weight and it seems lighter. I can't knock your routine, because its obviously working for you, but try warming up with your first set at 225 (or even higher if you feel comfortable) and see if that makes a difference to you. I myself was so ingrained at starting out at 135 because I had done so for so long. Once I bumped up my warm-up weight, I noticed a difference in my mind to muscle connection and I didn't notice such a big shock when I moved to a heavy set.

Of course this is probably not advisable after a lay off, but if you are putting up 402, I see no reason to waste time with the easy stuff.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Quote Originally Posted by quarry206
    i work out for strength not so much for size... when i do my bench work outs my first rep of every set is so hard then after that i can rep easy... i don't understand how on my last sets i can't get the first rep then ride out after that...

my bench work out is
    135x20reps
    225x20reps
    315x10reps

345x6-7reps
    385x3reps
    405x2reps

the last three sets i usually have problems with my first rep of the set... the 405 i usually need a spot on the first rep then the second rep get on my own even if struggling to do so.
    drop these and go straight to your heavy sets, i guarantee you will be very surprised.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    warm up with 135 x 10, then maybe 225 x 6. then go to the 405

epc512 is offline Associate Member
    nice

Thread Information