Thread: Deadlift...

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member

Deadlift...

So when doing a deadlift I have to keep my back arched same way as when I'm doing squats right ?

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    careful not to over arch or hyper-extend but yes that sounds right.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    sumo pullers stay arched, conventional pullers sometimes are slightly rolled fwd.

Pac8541 is offline Associate Member
    Doc,

With each style, sumo and conventional, are different muscle groups used to complete the lift? I start the lift with my shins close to the bar, lower back arched and the rest as flat as possible, head up, and full of air. I begin by bringing my head up and lifting first with my upper back until I get it off the floor then continuing to pull as I stand up. At the top of the lift when I'm standing completely upright, I try to lean back slightly and squeeze my shoulder blades together. I generally feel the work in my traps and upper back the most, followed closely by my lower back. Most of the work, based on how I feel the next day or so, seems to be in my traps and middle back.

I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking but thats the best I can break down my technique right now. Next week I'm going to take a checklist of sorts along with me and analzye my form a little more closely but with this technique, I think I'm headed to 405 in the next 4 weeks. Right now following Columbus's set/rep scheme I'm getting 315 for 2 sets of 5 on sets 6 and 7, and not killing myself.

Your input is appreciated.
    Last edited by Pac8541; 12-01-2006 at 02:02 PM.

sumo uses more adductors and glutes and less back,conventional uses more lower back and hamstrings, both use traps and back about the same

Pac8541 is offline Associate Member
    Thanks. Guess I should have just LOOKED at the thread you posted regarding the 2 different styles 2.5 hours PRIOR to my question!! Once in a while I amaze myself with how little attention I pay to things.

Thanks for the answer just the same.

no problem , glad to help!

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey Doc, I just started doing deadlift only 3 weeks ago. I got a question, after about 3rd set of heavier weight I can feel a bit of a pain, discomfort but not only the muscle, could be my spine or something. How do I know when am I overtraining my back doing deadlift, I never had any problems with my back ever before and I dont want to mess it up by beeing dumb and rushing trying to lift heavy weights. It feels like that for about 1-2 hours after the workout. After that eevrything is fine and next day I jsut feel my back muscle bit sore.
    The way I do it is
    Bar only x 15 for warm-up
    135x10
    185x10
    205x8
    255x4
    205x7

Thanks

Thread Information