Terinox is offline The One & Only

Power lifting VS Normal lifting

Can someone give me a " For Dummies " version of what the difference is??? So many people tell me I should do power lifting. But I don't think I like it (even though I haven't tried it). I just like normal lifting. Doing normal weights, normal sets and normal reps :P

How different is power lifting from normal lifting. Don't you just concentrate on certain exercises? And skip others?

Please "edumacate" me plz

Thnx

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    power lifting is doing exercises that concentrates on being able to do a 1 rep max at a certain weight. you train for the 1 rep max.
    bench/deads/squats and many accessory exercises that help with or stabolize the muscles that will help you do these exercises heavier and develop more instant thrust power that is good for 1 big burst.
    alot of power lifters i know dont even care how they look all they are concerned with is strenght/power for the above lifts.

body building is done in seasons-- they put size and bulk on in off eason which they train for strength and size then lean it out loosing some muscle,size and usually a lot of strength for season when competing on stage.

for normal lifters its somewhere inbetween all the way from just outside powerlifting to just outside body building to many stages inbetween.

i personally train for size and strength with trying to maintain a leanness and some muscle hardness. i do this by doing 70-80% of many training like a power lifter but keeping in the 3-5 rep range with about 20-30% of my training as a body builder keeping in the 8-10 rep range.what i mean by this is i do the basic 3 squat/bench/dead in the 3-5 rep range for strength and size but i also do many additional exercises for muscle look in the 8-10 rep range.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    also i like your mind/matter saying--i always tell people its like mind over matter you dont mind it dont matter

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    alright tapout, thnx for the reply and the info

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    power lifters lift expolsively, this is great to increase speed power and mass, i'm currently on a power lifter/size program and have seen great results, you should diffently mix the two to get the best of both worlds :P
    peace

NightOp is offline Member
    www.elitefts.com THE westside PL homepage... you could spend days reading here... and you should.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=46 Quick look in simpler terms as to what Westside PLing is about.
    http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm wonderful collection of articles and lots of PLing info..

I'm about to start Westside and have been reading like crazy.. I can't wait.
    Last edited by NightOp; 07-20-2002 at 02:41 PM.

Thread Information