jk486994 is offline Associate Member

Biceps Please Help

Through the help of this website I have been training and dieting for consistently for 7 weeks on a program..
    I have went from 184 to 196..My problem is gaining size in my biceps everywhere else isn't a problem but my bicep's have only increased from 15" to 15 1/4"..
    I train them once a week alone 4 exercises 3 intense sets each..
    1.) Wide grip barbell 3 sets 10, 8, 6
    2.) Alternating dumbell curls 3 sets
    3.) Preacher curls 3 sets
    4.) chin ups 3 sets 6-10
    If there is any reccomendations to help please inform me..

Thanks

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    what do you do for your back? you may be over training if you are gaining everywhere else but you biceps

jk486994 is offline Associate Member
    my back workout:
    Wide grip pulldowns- 3 sets
    close grip pulldowns- 3 sets
    barbell pull ins- 3 sets
    deadlifts- 3 sets

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jk486994
    my back workout:
    Wide grip pulldowns- 3 sets
    close grip pulldowns- 3 sets
    barbell pull ins- 3 sets
    deadlifts- 3 sets
    Do you do them all on the same day? Because in reality your actually doing 7 exercises for your biceps, there is no real way to cut out the biceps in retraction exercises such as these. You may try decreasing the number of exercises that effect the biceps or increase the duration of rest between. Dead lifts are not a flexion exercise on the biceps however it is a isometric exercise on them in the fact that the biceps must contract to protect the muscle from excessive stretch will holding onto the bar. See what happens, with this or even decrease the number of sets on some exercises. You may just be working them to much. Check out this thread I posted today it got some really good new information on strength training.

Critical review of current Resistance training methods

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    Through the help of this website I have been training and dieting for consistently for 7 weeks on a program..
    I have went from 184 to 196..My problem is gaining size in my biceps everywhere else isn't a problem but my bicep's have only increased from 15" to 15 1/4"..
    4.) chin ups 3 sets 6-10

Thanks

You are overtraining your biceps for sure...thats 12 sets for one of the smallest muscle groups on the body...

Pick one, two at most, of those exercises, and increase the sets, keep the intensity high, and load heavy, and they will grow....

You're overtraining right now...

captainfalcon is offline New Member
    the two best (IMO) bicep exercises that i do are ez bar curls and hammer curls with dumbbells. ez bar curls give you that peak and hammer curls give you the length. and keep in mind that most of your arm size are in your triceps.

LukeNY is offline New Member
    Focus more on your back... you are doing the same amount of exercises for your bis and your back. Compare the size/amount of muscle on your back compared to your bis. I'd cut the exercises you do for your biceps in half, and add that energy to your back workout.

There aren't a lot of guys out there with a powerful back and tiny biceps

fast is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, you don´t need to do so much for your bi`s.

For example, in my current schedule I do

5x5 deadlift and 3x8 front pulldowns

And the pump day is the only day when I do biceps, total of 4 sets with high volume. (20-30 reps).

You can change your strategy with bi`s, do them with volume or with less reps anyways the DIVERSITY in the training schedule is the key.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by fast; 12-17-2006 at 12:01 PM.

felixno9 is offline Junior Member
    no way dude, you only hit bias up once a week. doing 3-4 is not over trainning. The problem is that you are doing basically the same exerice each time. You need to do different exerices.
    3 set of hammers
    3 set of reverse curls
    3 sets of ez
    just make sure hte exercises are different so the entire bia is being hit not just one specific area.
    can do isolated curls, cable curls, hurculies, supersets where you do two exercise back to back. just switch things up and see how that works.
    And some people like doing back and bias together, I do sometimes myself, it is ok IMO
    but for arms to grow, trias make up 2/3 of the arm so make sure you hit them hard too nd your arms will grow nice

I start off with preachers first and totally go as heavy as possible (4-6 reps) And on other exercises (6-10). Its weird lol my bis jus keep growing,, dont know why (genetics possibly). But also when doing back, biceps are also incorporated. If (for pullups) you put ur thumbs out ,, its more back. IF your thumbs are in (ie like a fist) its a little more biceps,, with back as well. I would do bi's every 2-3 days if thats a lagging body part. ON the 2nd workout,, ur bis will be shot so lighten it up a lil bit, with different exercises than 1st workout and decrease weight by 5 or 10 lbs. If you can do the same then do it. Good lUck
    Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 12-21-2006 at 03:34 AM.

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    Negative hammer curls at the end of a good bi workout will make you puke. OH YEAH

Mista Massive is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Undecided09
    You are overtraining your biceps for sure...thats 12 sets for one of the smallest muscle groups on the body...

Pick one, two at most, of those exercises, and increase the sets, keep the intensity high, and load heavy, and they will grow....

You're overtraining right now...

have to agree, 2-4 sets is all thats necessary

that means 2 sets of one exercise, then 2 sets of another

acessorized is offline New Member
    jk remeber slow decline when lowering the weights at least 4 sec ..and hold it...

Jason865 is offline Banned
    4.) chin ups 3 sets 6-10

Thanks
    First off 1/4 inch on the upper arm in 7 weeks is amazing....thats almost 2 inches a year. Secondly post your exact workout in detail.....all of it not just biceps, I want to see what you do every day onf the week. Lastly 12 sets of biceps is way too much.

HotShot2U is offline New Member
    try doing DB curls laying on the incline. It will hit a part of your bicep that doesn't usually get as much work. Also, don't forget your triceps... as they account for more than half of your arm mass.

Otherwise, seems that everyone is right. Make sure you rotate exercises once in a while. I used to do bi's on back day but now have been doing them on my "arm" day... which is situated as far away from chest and back as possible. The fact that everything else is growing makes me think it's definitely overtraining though. Good luck!

Thread Information