LawMan018 is offline Senior Member

Why Do I Suck At Deadlifts?

So I'm following a new program by Arnold and it requires using deadlifts... Since they are not allowed at my gym for some reason (damn you 24 hour) and there isn't really a place to do them there I have decided to use an old bar and weights in the garage. So I'm doing them and damn!!! I can only do 190 for a good range of reps... I'm weirded out because I see peoples stats all the time and they show their deadlifts are a lot heavier then their squats. Now, I'm on my fifth set of squats, I'm doing 315 for 4 good reps... What's my problem? Why do my squats far outnumber my deadlifts???

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    Have you just started doing deadlifts? If so they're just like starting any kind of new exercise. It takes time to build up strength.

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LawMan018
    So I'm following a new program by Arnold and it requires using deadlifts... Since they are not allowed at my gym for some reason (damn you 24 hour) and there isn't really a place to do them there I have decided to use an old bar and weights in the garage. So I'm doing them and damn!!! I can only do 190 for a good range of reps... I'm weirded out because I see peoples stats all the time and they show their deadlifts are a lot heavier then their squats. Now, I'm on my fifth set of squats, I'm doing 315 for 4 good reps... What's my problem? Why do my squats far outnumber my deadlifts???
    1. your new to it and havent done that compound movement before so it will take time but it should jump up quick
    2. deadlifts are not a leg exercise they are a back exercise. SO the stronger ur back/low back, hips are the stronger ur deads will be.

i personally dont do deads but my advice would be concentrate on form not weight. deads are an easy movement to really fvck up and can hurt urself. i cringe when i see guys deadlifting a ton of weight and they arent even keepin their back strait...im jus waitin for their spinal cord to tear out of their back. if u've never done them and are unsure on proper technique definately look it up. and be patient it will increase. also core strength has alot to do with deads as well.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    24hr won't let you do deadlifts? LMAO!

Btw, to answer your question, your core sucks and must be built up. It takes time.

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    Lol yeh it probably does, bu I'll do it!!!

Thread Information