violator1 is offline Associate Member

cardio frequency

whats up peeps?? wanna get your thoughts about this.....cardio is recommended 2 times a week for an hour each session? or should i do 3 times at 45?? would it be ok to do this right after lifting hard? thanks alot everyone......

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    depends on your goals...your metabolism (how fast you put on fat etc) and what your diet looks like.

violator1 is offline Associate Member
    i'm starting a SD cycle soon and wanna get rid of as much fat as possible especially arond the problem love handle area. diets good. taking in about 250 to 300g protein and 300 grams carbs over 6 meals a day. hit
    monday-chest and tris
    tuesday- back bi's and lats
    wednesday- legs
    thursday- off
    friday- off
    saturday- repeat cycle

I wouldn't start a cycle with your BF out of wack...speaking from experience. Get your BF% in line (not sure what it is now) but I do cardio 45min the the am on an empty stomach and 20-30min PWO 5 days/week sometimes 6.

y100adics is offline Associate Member
    Audis ... what kind of intensity do u do for ur cardio .. morning and pwo?

Quote Originally Posted by y100adics
    Audis ... what kind of intensity do u do for ur cardio .. morning and pwo?
    yes, I'm a little under maintenance right now (kcals) and doing cardio in the am for 45min (5-6 days/week) and pwo (most days mon-frid excluding leg days) for 30min.

I'm going to lower cals a bit more in the next couple of weeks and maintain the cardio so I can bulk in a few months

y100adics is offline Associate Member
    oh yeah .. i saw that u said u were doing cardio mornings and pwo ... my question is what intensity are u staying at? heartrate around 130? The reason I ask is I'm doing cardio twice for four days a week ... morning then pwo ... then 3 days morning ... but i've been at around 160 heartrate .... I'm not fat but i have a little beer belly i'm trying to lose .... besides that i'm in good shape .... i'm 5'10 ... 210lbs .. trying to get to maybe 195lbs ... after reading all the cardio things here i went at 130 tonight and felt like i wasnt doing anything ... even though i had it on the highest resistance .... what are ur thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by y100adics
    oh yeah .. i saw that u said u were doing cardio mornings and pwo ... my question is what intensity are u staying at? heartrate around 130? The reason I ask is I'm doing cardio twice for four days a week ... morning then pwo ... then 3 days morning ... but i've been at around 160 heartrate .... I'm not fat but i have a little beer belly i'm trying to lose .... besides that i'm in good shape .... i'm 5'10 ... 210lbs .. trying to get to maybe 195lbs ... after reading all the cardio things here i went at 130 tonight and felt like i wasnt doing anything ... even though i had it on the highest resistance .... what are ur thoughts?
    cardio should be low intensity if your goal is to have the 'bodybuilder physique.'
    The equation is 220-age * .65 and .70
    Stay between those numbers and you will burn fat. High intensity cardio will lead to fat and muscle loss.
    Diet is #1 in the equation. If your diet is out of wack, it will be very difficult to achieve your goals.

Springbok_Powered is offline New Member
    Read up on hormonal uses of cardio, you find some great help, I did.

It says that longer cardio sessions at lower intensity is responsible for a range of hormones which adapt your body to become a certain shape - real skinny, like marathon runners. Why must your body lug around 200lbs of weight when it can change it to 140lbs? Which it will over time if you continue to workout in that fashion.

Now I do what most sport doctors recommend. 6 Times a week, short bursts of high intensity cardio (20-25mins). What it is supposed to do is train your body to only get rid of weight it doesn't need. It can cope with lugging you around at 200lbs for only 20 mins, not a great big deal to your body, it tends to only burn off fat because you use all the muscle to lift weights. But the biggest concept I had to get around, is weight loss is not so much based on how many calories you fried on the treadmill, but how much energy your body will burn OFF the treadmill now that you have prompted a change in hormone levels to tell your body what shape to become.

Thread Information