Thread: Back Thickness

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries

Back Thickness

I wanna nice, strong thick back. Not wide. I dont like doing deads for different reasons. Currently my back routine looks like:

6-10 reps till failure on each set

3 sets close grip pull downs
    3 sets seated rope pulls
    3 sets dumbell pullovers (lying on a bench/upper back on middle of bench)
    3 sets bent over rows
    3 sets vertical machine row

From set to set, it alternates hitting upper then lower back. But I was wondering what are the best back workouts for thickness, cuz I know theres something I can change about my current workout.

need2bhuge is offline Junior Member
    Well one of the best exercises for back is deads...why don't you like them? You could do rack deads that will just work your lowerback/glute tie in. Anyway, the next would be wide grip pullups to the front and back..weighted ones work the best. Then bent over barbell rows, or db rows, then seated cable rows...The close grip pulldowns are going to develop ur serratus rather than give you a lot of thickness..the pullovers will do the same. You could add in T-bar shrugs (where the support is on ur chest) and just retract ur scapulla...thsi will develop you mid traps...the traps are a huge part of your back..don't neglect them!!!

Blog Entries
    I think I dont like deads cuz I messed up my back a while back doing them wrong. Its just a self mind thing ya know. Never did them since, and always felt fine, just getting a little tired of my current routine.

But yeah i wanna back that justs thick and semi sticks out. Like I take off my shirt, and you can tell my back is hella strong. But not wide, I dont wanna look like a turtle, no offense to anyone.

hardgainer12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx
    I think I dont like deads cuz I messed up my back a while back doing them wrong. Its just a self mind thing ya know. Never did them since, and always felt fine, just getting a little tired of my current routine.

But yeah i wanna back that justs thick and semi sticks out. Like I take off my shirt, and you can tell my back is hella strong. But not wide, I dont wanna look like a turtle, no offense to anyone.
    if it was that easy everybody would look like a turtle. dont neglect any bodyparts because u dont want them to be "huge." any rowing movement is good for thickness. and like stated above, dont neglect traps

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    any row movement is good but keep in mind free weights will give u more stability and i think greater muscle development than a row machine. i guarantee doing bent over tbars is better than something like low cable row...as far as muscle stimulation goes. but thats just my way of thinkin.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    You cant control the shape that your muscles grow. If they are going to grow wide then no exercise expect for a lack of exercise will change that. Your muscle belly shape is determined as it was being developed in the womb. The only thing that you can change with exercise is the thickness of the muscle fiber its self.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Haro3
    any row movement is good but keep in mind free weights will give u more stability and i think greater muscle development than a row machine. i guarantee doing bent over tbars is better than something like low cable row...as far as muscle stimulation goes. but thats just my way of thinkin.
    I agree.

Bent over rows underhand/overhand
    Tbar rows in the corner
    deadlifts

Boom.

I am u dont wanna do deadlifts. Focus on form with the bar for several weeks. Get someone who has done them correctly and knows what they are doing to teach you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I agree.

Tbar rows in the corner
    deadlifts

Boom.

I am u dont wanna do deadlifts. Focus on form with the bar for several weeks. Get someone who has done them correctly and knows what they are doing to teach you.

Thanks chest and ev1.
    Yeah, Im gonna get deads down....just use bar only until I get form down. I just talked to a guy whoes gonna personally show me/help me with deads..

cool stuff...

chest6 is offline Banned
    sounds great. deads is an exercise you want to make sure you master the form first. You can really injure yourself moving heavy weight with bad form.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    sounds great. deads is an exercise you want to make sure you master the form first. You can really injure yourself moving heavy weight with bad form.
    Amen to that brotha

Blog Entries
    hey chest.

When you said underhand/overhand bent rows.

are you talking one hand under and one over on each set? Or both under, and switch on and off with both over?

chest6 is offline Banned
    im talking both. Sorry, that sounded very confusing. Should have said "double overhand" and "double underhand"

Only exercise I do an over/under grip is deads.

Blog Entries
    im talking both. Sorry, that sounded very confusing. Should have said "double overhand" and "double underhand"

ok, gotcha on that.

also, tbar in the corner? I use machine tbar?...if thats different than corner?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Well yeah. They are fairly similar. I use the machine sometimes. I like the feeling of the bar in the corner. Try it. Refer to Faiz's thread Nark explains on the top of the last page how to perform it correctly without the other end coming off the ground.

Blog Entries
    I did.

Thanks again to ev1 and the quick responses.

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

me too

My back looks like a turtle

zodiac666 is offline Senior Member
    i would also start your workout with the heavy free weight exercises so you can use more weight, my all time favorite back exercise is bent barbell rows, definitely one of the best for thickness.

zodiac666 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by audis4
    me too

My back looks like a turtle
    hell yea man, ive been gone for a few weeks, do you have a thread with pics of your progress?

biggerisbetter2006 is offline Female Member
    I was gonna say deads as well..they are amazing but form is essential....Also one arm, bent over rows with DBs are good too b/c you can concentrate on each side at a time (and correct any muscle imbalances b/c we usually have a strongr side). Also with lat pulldown I dnt know which grip you are using but you can alternate with a reverse grip (elbows shoulder width apart) as well.

quit being a little pussy and learn to deadlift. I hear this garbage so many times that if I had a dollar for everybody who says they've screwed their back up I'd be rich. How'd you mess it up? Slipped disk? Herniated disk? Or are you just making up some pussy ass excuse? If you want a huge back you gotta deadlift

DutchCowboy is offline Associate Member
    I agree.

Tbar rows in the corner
    deadlifts

I LOVE these. I do them and everyone looks at me like, WTF? One of the best movements for me because you can really feel the muscles working. Much better than bent BB rows IMO

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Quote Originally Posted by zodiac666
    hell yea man, ive been gone for a few weeks, do you have a thread with pics of your progress?
    I'm going to post pics when I feel I have made hella progress

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Deads, Bent rows (overhand), T-bar rows = thick backs

svarturer is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by svarturer; 09-05-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Thread Information