jmax is offline Associate Member

lift heavy to get big (4-6 reps)

Does this apply to all exercises or just bench, squat, shoul. press, dead lift etc. What about standing laterals or bicep curls. close grip bench etc.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    There isn't really a rule-of-thumb as to how many reps are required for growth. As long as your volume/intensity increases gradually with each workout, you should experience gains (not to mention diet). While I feel some muscles respond to different reps, it's always important to switch it up a bit. Best thing to do is see what works best for you. Personally, something isolated like lat raises I would do more than 4-6 reps. A weight that only allows you to do that many reps would probably hinder your form.

ghostdog128 is offline Junior Member
    I think it's more personal as well. I gain better on higher reps for all bodyparts .. but that's me.. When I lifted heavy and low my joints would constantly hurt. Try both ways and see what works for you.

LukeNY is offline New Member
    I only do low reps on the big three (squats, deadlifts, bench), and then higher reps on my other exercises. However, my only goal is adding weight to these three, so I concentrate mainly on them and use my other exercises as just assistance training. For example...

On my bench day I'll do 2 sets of warmups @ 10 reps, then do sets of 6 working my way up, then do a couple sets of 3 reps at a high weight. Including the light weight warmup, I normally do anywhere between 6-8 sets, but at low reps. All my other exercises (any other chest work and tris), i simply do 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Yup, I found out that going with moderate weight, for example I can do dumbbell curl for 8 reps, if I do this weight with much slower tempo 2 sec rep up, 2 sec static, 2 sec rep down... and it allows me to do the weight only about 5-6 reps with that tempo. This is an intense workout. Shocks the hell out of the muscle for longer period of time. Wokrs wonders for me!

Thread Information