Apex is offline Associate Member

Smith Machine....OK?

On my 1st cycle - Dbol /TCyp, Would like feedback regarding the use of the Smith Machine for main exercises: Bench, Squat, Military, Row,Etc.

I prefer the Smith for the obvious reason that you don't need a spotter.

Appreciate any input - Apex

crash187ct is offline Senior Member
    good to go, it helps with proper form, although some smith machines seem to lighten the load....you can always go up to compensate. i wouldn't use it all the time, because using muscle to balance takes effort and in my experience has helped me in the long run.

SMAN12b is offline Educate B4 U Medicate
    It is OK, but I would NOT use exclusively as Free weights help strengthen your stabilizer muscles as the smith machine won't

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    No its not...

RE: Post by NARK.... regarding close bench:

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I find it laughable when people state how safe the restricted movement of the Smith is.

Safe compared to what? Walking in front a car..yes
    A standard barbell exercise? No.

The exercises the thread originator listed..

The ROM.. or the pressing arc rather.. is a curve. Not a straight line.

Benching for example.. the natural pattern tru which the bar travels is not a straight up and down movement.

Thus restricting oneself on the long term (by using a smith) is just asking for shoulder injuries.

Review the biomechanics

Also the smith follows a linear path, over time the imposed bar path can cause problems.

angelripper is offline Associate Member
    this is what separates the hardcore lifter from the not so hardcore.
    If your using the stupid smith machine because your scared of what might happen when you dont have a spot then just do like i do.
    1.When you get stuck squatting.......dump it on the safty rack.
    2.When you get stuck on the bench .......roll it down your body and sit up with it ,careful not to pinch you flesh like i do,got scars from that shit.
    3 If you looking at this thinking im crazy then just forget about this post and continue knot making any progress on strength and size.

Apex is offline Associate Member
    Thanks fellas

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FaizakaFez
    No its not...

RE: Post by NARK.... regarding close bench:
    Nice post

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Nice post

saved you from writing a chapter ..

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelripper

2.When you get stuck on the bench .......roll it down your body and sit up with it ,careful not to pinch you flesh like i do,got scars from that shit.
    hahaha i hate it when i have to do that.

your better off going with free weight and just asking someone for a spot tho. is it that big of a deal?

Using smith machine all the time is not good cuz u are preventing ur stablizer muscles from gaining strength/size.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    I use it for incline press and love it but other then that.

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    I use it for shrugs

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex
    On my 1st cycle - Dbol /TCyp, Would like feedback regarding the use of the Smith Machine for main exercises: Bench, Squat, Military, Row,Etc.

I prefer the Smith for the obvious reason that you don't need a spotter.

Appreciate any input - Apex
    I don't use it, but it has a purpose and belongs in the gym... it all boils down to your goals...my take is don't limit yourself to any one thing... mix it in and use a little everything... especially if your are running a cycle... The gym I go to has some pretty cool machines that are set up for no spotters... just about everything except the bb benchpress, and for that there is always dumbells... At home a power rack works to prevent weight falling on you in just about all exercises... good luck bro!

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    smith machine does not let you lift naturally, you lift in a curve, smith machine is 180 degress up and down...you are restricted with the smith machine and a lot easier to injure youself therefore i do not recommend smith machine..but then again who am i to say this

Serotonin is offline Member
    I was restricted to using a smith machine while on ***loyments in the Navy.. .the gyms didn't have free barbells and benches for the obvious reasons of the ships incredible movement in the water. So after 6+ months of only using that type of stuff or only dumbbells... the range of motion felt a bit awkward for a while when using a barbell for various presses.

Like other said, use it in moderation! The stabilizers are integral!

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    The smith machine is one of the worst gym inventions of all time. No use except to hang your towel on.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angelripper
    If your using the stupid smith machine because your scared of what might happen when you dont have a spot then just do like i do.
    1.When you get stuck squatting.......dump it on the safty rack.
    3 If you looking at this thinking im crazy then just forget about this post and continue knot making any progress on strength and size.

OMG dude your machoness is laughable.

BTW Dorrian used a smith, to bad he wasnt hardcore like you he might of been mr olympia.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Johny-too-small
    The smith machine is one of the worst gym inventions of all time. No use except to hang your towel on.

Whatever you say Cutler!

I use the smith exclusivley for squats, funny how my legs are 10x bigger than most of the jerk offs walking around with their chests stuck out with their ****ing chicken ass legs.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja

Whatever you say Cutler!

I use the smith exclusivley for squats, funny how my legs are 10x bigger than most of the jerk offs walking around with their chests stuck out with their ****ing chicken ass legs.
    Im not calling myself anything special, just giving my honest O. The smith machine is inferior to every leg machine/ exercise that I know of. Sure you might have big legs, but they would be a hell of a lot further along had you done freewght squats for starters. Not to mention a much better developed lower back. The smith machine is for the injured and women.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Johny-too-small
    Im not calling myself anything special, just giving my honest O. The smith machine is inferior to every leg machine/ exercise that I know of. Sure you might have big legs, but they would be a hell of a lot further along had you done freewght squats for starters. Not to mention a much better developed lower back. The smith machine is for the injured and women.

You do realise that not everyone wants to look like a ****ing freak bodybuilder right?

I mean, god forbid someone not train like a bodybuilder.

The only thing inferior here is your mindset.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    You do realise that not everyone wants to look like a ****ing freak bodybuilder right?

I mean, god forbid someone not train like a bodybuilder.

The only thing inferior here is your mindset.
    That’s your token response every time someone says that you’re wrong. Its pathetic and dim. I never said anything specific to bodybuilding. You’re the one who mentioned how giant your legs are Dont be so obvious.

What Im talking about is targeting specific muscles with the most proficient and complete exercises that capitalize on making the target muscle do the work. Im talking about doing things the right way for the best results.

The only thing inferior here is your knowlegde about the subject. Stick to your forum where you belong.

Lion King is offline Junior Member
    Johnny too small. I agree with you completely on Smith Machines. I only use on rare occassions to mix it up. However, no need to insult and cast people from the forum.

Thread Information