Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outer pecs

nofear is offline Junior Member

Outer pecs

What exercises do you believe are best for developing the outer pecs?

Anybody?

Random is offline RETIRED VET
    I think wide grip bench presses are excellent for the outer chest as well as flys with a deep stretch and pause at the bottom...

CD

NewJuice is offline Associate Member
    Flys, weighted dips, wide grip (anypress)

kevlev1 is offline Female Member
    Any type of wide grip bench (barbell or machine). Wide DB or machine flyes.

Thanks for your input!

Jason865 is offline Banned
    You can not target one area of the chest, so forget about shaping that muscle. Your best bet is to do full ROM.

PROTEINSHAKE is offline Protein Power
    wide grip with pause at bottom & top...slowly... I find the pause at the full bottom will stretch & then the power u need to have after the pause will stimulate some fibers that wouldnt be otherwise.

You can not target one area of the chest, so forget about shaping that muscle. Your best bet is to do full ROM.
    OF COURSE YOU CAN. That statement is false

example incline bench hits upper chest more so than flat bench...

CD

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDominate
    OF COURSE YOU CAN. That statement is false

example incline bench hits upper chest more so than flat bench...

CD
    Total gym myth.......ok I will bite, prove it .

By the way have you ever looked at an Anatomy chart of insertions and origins? Or studied how muscle contraction works?
    Last edited by Jason865; 01-05-2007 at 03:52 PM.

The results of the EMG studies show which exercises produce the greatest amount of stimulation within each target muscle group. The following table displays these results.

IEMG max motor-unit activation

Exercise/% EMG Muscle Stimulation

Pectoralis major:
    Decline dumbbell bench press - 93
    Decline bench press (Olympic bar) - 89
    Push-ups between benches - 88
    Flat dumbbell bench press - 87
    Flat bench press (Olympic bar) - 85
    Flat dumbbell flys - 84
    This was taken on a thread from bodybuildingdungeon...this shows general EMG muscle stimulation can be greater in certain areas when changing degrees...

CD

This was taken on a thread from bodybuildingdungeon...this shows general EMG muscle stimulation can be greater in certain areas when changing degrees...

CD
    Says nothing about "muscle shaping".....plus EMG is a Terrible way to value any lift.

Im not talking about "muscle shaping" im talking about prioritizing certain areas of a muscle...this is basic knowledge i would think, i cant imagine youd get very far not accepting this fact..

CD

Im not talking about "muscle shaping" im talking about prioritizing certain areas of a muscle...this is basic knowledge i would think, i cant imagine youd get very far not accepting this fact..

CD
    Nope it is a muscle and fitness BS myth, no educated person would even consider what you are saying. You have a ton of reading to do.

Nope it is a muscle and fitness BS myth, no educated person would even consider what you are saying. You have a ton of reading to do.
    My physique will speak for itself...example: if i want to improve upper chest im not going to do more flat bench presses and flat flys....i would opt for incline bench, incline flys, incline whatever...if you cant agree on this, than sh1t, youre just an ___

My physique will speak for itself...example: if i want to improve upper chest im not going to do more flat bench presses and flat flys....i would opt for incline bench, incline flys, incline whatever...if you cant agree on this, than sh1t, youre just an ___
    You have 0 education in this area so I wiill just let your silly comments fade away. If by chance you ever find any real scientific data to back up your superstition I will be all ears.

You have 0 education in this area so I wiill just let your silly comments fade away.
    Ok so then educate us then...how does one target an area?

nalbano34 is offline Member
    I agree to a point that alot of the upper, inner,outer,lower pec stuff is a myth. Genetics play a HUGE part in the shape and size of a individuals muscles. I believe it is also common knowledge that if you had one exercise for chest to do, only one, it would be best to do Decline presses ( probably with dumbbells to bring the arms in closer at the concentric point).

What area?

Any area? pick a muscle group...if you cant target areas--like you said, then why do different angles at all?

Any area? pick a muscle group...if you cant target areas--like you said, then why do different angles at all?
    Chest... bench
    Lats....Rows
    Traps...deads or shrugs
    Quads....ATG squat

Variety is the spice of life.....why take a reat from lifting? why not always do the same reps? why not do the same sets? Why mix up volume and intensity??
    Last edited by Jason865; 01-05-2007 at 07:02 PM.

As predicted, you have no beneficial knowledge on training to pass on...dont bother replying im unsubscribed.

beuleux is offline Banned
    It is both well known and widely accepted that you can target upper lower and mid pecs with incline decline and flat bench, this is largely to the way the pec muscle origin points are placed on the sternum the higher up the sternum the greater the angle needed to stimulate them and vise versa with the lower insertion points, the uppermost pec inserts into the clavical rather than the humerous which requires a slightly less than upright incline to stimulate it. I have learned this both from research and practical experimentation on myself.

However, I am not such a believer in inner and outer pec targeting. personaly I feel you should take the joints through the fullest range of movement possible and it is that which will develop the full shape of a muscle, with flys for example there is a lot of resistance in the extended position at the start of the movement (less fillament overlap) and a lot less resistance at the top (greater fillament overlap) where the muscle would normaly be stronger. IMO the strain will still be evenly distributed accross the muscle. However most manuals will still say that flys are THE outer pec exercise but I noticed no outer pec benefit when experimenting on myself with this exercise.

Dont flame eachother guys a couple of members got suspended today for just that.

TADOLFI is offline Member
    When I want to develop any special area, I take the first step approach.
    What is the first step approach you ask?

The first step is walking in to the gym.

It is not widely accepted and I am still waiting to see any scientific data. To be honest I am amazed anybody on this site believes this old myth.

vitor is offline Anabolic Member
    My physique will speak for itself ___
    Yes it does

I completly agree to. A good way to monitor this is where you feel most sorness the next day, (as well as which part grows most.)
    Ive tried a full chest workout with only inclines, sorness the next few days will only go from the middle Pec area and all the way up to the chest-shoulder tie in.

When adding in declines, I feel the sorness around the whole lower Pec area, center and outer.

Imo chest is more dependent on angels than any other muscle group, exept back maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason865
    It is not widely accepted and I am still waiting to see any scientific data. To be honest I am amazed anybody on this site believes this old myth.
    Of course its widely accepted just not by you, because its a fundamental fact of weight training, it almost beggars belief that you disagree and Im enclined to believe youre on a wind-up, Ive just given you a basic overview of pec anatomy, any anatomy book will verify what Ive said, if thats you in your avy then why dont you and the good captain have a pec posedown, I believe he will have the superior pec development because of his training methods.

hahahahaha wow this just made my day. you sure do know your stuff

Tell me how you contract only one part of a muscle with only one insertion and origin???

I rest my case, in all seriousness some of you guys need to put down the muscle and fitness and pick up a book on Human Kinetics.

Start by reading basic Anatomy and Physiology, then some works by Michael Boyle.

Tell me how you contract only one part of a muscle with only one insertion and origin???

I rest my case, in all seriousness some of you guys need to put down the muscle and fitness and pick up a book on Human Kinetics.

Start by reading basic Anatomy and Physiology, then some works by Michael Boyle.
    Run your fingers down your sternum while semi tense, you will feel several notches, those notches are ORIGIN points... There are several ORIGIN points to your pecs and the joint angle of the upper arm wil determine the stress accross those points... youve obviously got an anatomy book because its clear from your posts you do have SOME knowledge of anatomy... You wanna try reading it a bit more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by beuleux
    Run your fingers down your sternum while semi tense, you will feel several notches, those notches are ORIGIN points... There are several ORIGIN points to your pecs and the joint angle of the upper arm wil determine the stress accross those points... youve obviously got an anatomy book because its clear from your posts you do have SOME knowledge of anatomy... You wanna try reading it a bit more closely.
    Do you even have any Idea how a muscle works??? Sounds like you don't have a clue.

Look up insertions, Actions and origins, then look up the Pectoralis major. Ok now look up how muscles contract.

Plaese do not give out non scietific opinions and act like you have taken any college Anatomy & Phiolosigly and/or Kiensiologly...it just makes you look bad and it misleads new people.
    Last edited by Jason865; 01-06-2007 at 03:07 PM.

You are unbelievable...Im joining the good captain and unsubscribing

Quote Originally Posted by beuleux
    You are unbelievable...Im joining the good captain and unsubscribing
    Here is a link

http://www.rad.washington.edu/atlas/...alismajor.html

Show me how to hit the "outer Pecs" here?
    Last edited by Jason865; 01-06-2007 at 03:29 PM.

is that you in your avy?

Also I can not think on one one trainer with a PHD who believes you can target one area of the Pectoralis major...ie hit the "outer pecs."

Also I can not think on one one trainer with a PHD who believes you can target one area of the Pectoralis major...ie hit the "outer pecs."
    hey man can you post a pic of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by italianplayboy09
    hey man can you post a pic of yourself
    Sure, I believe they have an area for that but not on this thread. This thread is on training the "outer pecs" so I wont turn it into a photo profile of you or myself.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    I am thinking IP check here. Jason865, you seem to be in serious flame mode for no good reason. And if you actually believe what you are saying then you are in serious need of help. Now answer the question, is that you in your Avi ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kale
    I am thinking IP check here. Jason865, you seem to be in serious flame mode for no good reason. And if you actually believe what you are saying then you are in serious need of help. Now answer the question, is that you in your Avi ?
    Well I was attacked so if you want to blame the group and myself fine I can accept that we all got a bit out of hand here. l

As for shaping the chest I do not think you can at all, inclines might in a very tiny way hit the top of the chest a bit more but you can not target the inner or outer pecs at all.

As for my Avatar It is Danny Padilla the uncrowned Mr O 1981

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Well I was attacked so if you want to blame the group and myself fine I can accept that we all got a bit out of hand here. l

As for shaping the chest I do not think you can at all, inclines might in a very tiny way hit the top of the chest a bit more but you can not target the inner or outer pecs at all.

As for my Avatar It is Danny Padilla the uncrowned Mr O 1981

I wonder if Danny agrees with you ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information