bigeater is offline Associate Member

fat burned during workout

I know that when you lift weights you put on muscles and when you get bigger you burn more calories when you are resting, I think it´s called BMR.
    But do you burn fat when you are lifting weights?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it is typically the prefered energy source. Traditionially most of the scientific papers has said that you can not lose weight by just wieght training alone. But there have been a mess of papers coming out in the last two years that have shown some reduction of fat mass with people who wieght train only. However most of these papers that I have personally read have dealt with novice lifters and it has not been extensively explored if there is the same effect in more advanced exercising populations

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    to add to what I said above, most of the wieght reductions were not as drastic as those groups who performed some sort of cardiovascular training along with there wieght program

Springbok_Powered is offline New Member
    Yes, the way it kinda works is when you do work ,weights or cardio it burns energy. Now if what you burn is more than what you eat you have to loose weight. Cardio is just much more efficient because you burn a higher ratio of fat to energy in the bloodstream when you reach a certain heartrate.

beuleux is offline Banned
    Unless you are doing high rep circuit training then lifting weights will not burn fat anymore than an equal amount of time taking a brisk walk. If you want to burn fat then do cardio and/or diet.

Thread Information