Do you wrap your elbows on heavy bench

I found that if I go over 365 I benefit from elbow wraps, it keeps my mind off of my elbow joints and I can focus on my chest more. I guess it makes it a little easier to lift heavier, not too much though. Is this legal in powerlifting meets? Just curious

bump

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Don't do bench, I wrap my wrists on chest day. Injured my chest twice and know of 4-5ppl who have seriously hurt themselves doing this movement.

Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    I found that if I go over 365 I benefit from elbow wraps, it keeps my mind off of my elbow joints and I can focus on my chest more. I guess it makes it a little easier to lift heavier, not too much though. Is this legal in powerlifting meets? Just curious
    In the many events I have seen I know that many federations and associations do not allow elbow wraps. Usually just wrist wraps.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    the bench press IMO is a great movement and again IMO is the best lift for chest,hands down. elbow wraps arent legal in any lifting federation. i myself were a tight elbow sleeve in training when i have elbow pain only, but i wouldnt consider tighly wraping my elbows.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    For chest development Bench actually isn't ideally the best movement, Get a few Exercise Anatomy books and you'll see what I'm talking about. The hugging motion of the arms actually stimulates more muscle fibers primarily in the chest, the chest press actually stimulates a bit of chest and many secondary muscles like the anterior delts, triceps, and a bit of the lats/delts for stabilization.
    Either way I see where you're coming from, just getting technical I guess.
    I prefer the incline press and Flat DB flies myself for overall development.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by I**mfkr
    For chest development Bench actually isn't ideally the best movement, Get a few Exercise Anatomy books and you'll see what I'm talking about. The hugging motion of the arms actually stimulates more muscle fibers primarily in the chest, the chest press actually stimulates a bit of chest and many secondary muscles like the anterior delts, triceps, and a bit of the lats/delts for stabilization.
    Either way I see where you're coming from, just getting technical I guess.
    I prefer the incline press and Flat DB flies myself for overall development.
    you know how it is, diffferent streaks for different freaks, whatever works for you. i dont like doing soley isolation exercise for any body part unless it is the only way to work a smaller muscle group. rember i am a powerlifter, so i do have to train the bench press. but i have found aside from powerlifting, that using a core movement, such as the bench press as your first exercise, and than using 2 more different exercise that are more isolated to the muscle group really will put alot of size on you.

Thread Information