wakatak87 is offline Junior Member

Few random questions

I just went on an elliptical for 50 minutes...it said I burned 700 calories. Im 19, 170 pounds and my body is pretty gross at the stomach, skinny at the legs, and decent at the arms. (So my BF% changes greatly throughout my body). Anyway...I stayed at my target heart rate for the 50 mins and it seriously seemed too easy, id find myself 10 or so above the target heart rate whenever I stopped paying attention. So heres my question:

Are ellipticals accurate when displaying your heart rate and your calories burned?

Second questions...why cant someone trying to lose fat just eat like...1 cup of oatmeal and 3 scoops of protein powder per day? I know the answer is "youll lose muscle", but why? What makes your body choose to use muscle over fat for energy, when muscle is of a lot more use to your body?

And why would it be bad to do an elliptical for like, 2 hours, and burn 1400 calories? Why would those extra 700 calories burned be muscle burned instead of fat burned? Where is the science???

Oh and...how accurate are "colories burned per day" calculators if you say you are sedentary (with the intent off adding however many calories you burn on an elliptical to the number they give you)
    Last edited by wakatak87; 01-27-2007 at 03:46 PM.

wakatak87 is offline Junior Member
    hmm.

if only one of the 23 responses to HOW MANYTIMES CAN U BENCH 225 POUNDS???? thread's energies was put into this one.

ghostdog128 is offline Junior Member
    the built in heart rate monitors are usually accurate. the great thing about ellipticals is that the perceived effort is less than running at an equal heart rate. that's why it feels easier. I personally don't hold much stock in the heart rate training zone ideology. sure you'll burn more glycogen than fat at higher HR's but who cares. your total calories are higher meaning you've used more fat overall performing higher HR training

as far as the calories burned/hour readings.. well those aren't that accurate because those are based on averages.. a person weighting so much at a certain height and BF level will burn those amounts of calories/hour. Doubtful that any person fits that average.

the science behind the body eating skeletal tissue for energy well I don't feel like writing it all out but a quick search will give you tons of info.. I'll give you some keywords to use. Gluconeogenesis,

D STANG is offline New Member
    im 18 and wanna know some knew tips on weight training, i was thinking on trying steroids just want some advice. THanks

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    D stang get your own thread.... and then ask what you want to say

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    throw the science out the window and listen to the experienced vets

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    try reading the diet stickies and look up some weightlifting programs

Thread Information