Thread: how inclined?

flexshack is offline Member

how inclined?

hey guys
    wondering how inclined the bench has to be for chest presses with db? thanks
    flex

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i usually like the top of bench to be one notch lower than my hip. in case that was confusing, set the bench so that it's highest point is level with your hip. lower it one level. did that help? hope it wasn't oo confusing

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by dane26
    i usually like the top of bench to be one notch lower than my hip. in case that was confusing, set the bench so that it's highest point is level with your hip. lower it one level. did that help? hope it wasn't oo confusing
    hell yeah that's confusing Dane...haha...at least it was for me. i'm still trying to put a mental picture in my mind of it.

flex, for me, i go about a 30 - 40 degree angle. the piece of machinery i use is a Cybex bench I believe. i set it so that it's on the very last notch, which puts it at a 30 - 40 degree angle.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    sorry bro. i just measure from my hip. i don't do that 30-40 degre stuff. too much work!

JRMY2711 is offline Associate Member
    DANE THAT IS THE SAME WAY THAT I MEASURE IT GOTTA TAKE THE EASY QUICK WAY

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Can't find your hip? Go to the fixed inlcine bench in your gym and use that as a guide. I like 30 degree myself but another guide could be how you feel. If you 're feeling too much shoulder then lower the incline.

TheGame2001 is offline Banned

After reading an aritcle from Ronnie Coleman that he sets his incline one notch above flat bench because he thought more incline hit the delts too much, I tried it. I got a better pump with a low low incline than I ever did with it inclined as high as incline bench. Try lowering it below incline bench level for a change anyway. I change the incline up now.

GAME

THEGAME WHEN YOU STARTED DOING THAT DID YOU NOTICE BETTER DEVELOPEMENT IN YOUR UPPER CHEST?

only been doing it about a month but I certainly feel a huge difference in the pump so I know i'm hitting the upper chest more.

SEE UPPER CHEST IS WHERE IM LACKING ALL I HAVE DONE IS FLAT BENCH A RECENTLY WITHIN THE LAST 2 MONTHS STARTED DOING THE INCLINE DB'S I JUST WANT SOMETHING THAT WILL GIVE GOOD DEVELOPEMENT TO I WILL TRY THAT.

90% of all my chest workout has always been incline movements.
    I do very little flat bench work, perhaps 3 exercises inclined, 1 exercise flat.....

thanks fellas
    since we are talking about chest here, let me ask another question. there is a new machine that i just hit for the first time last week. i have no clue what the name for it is but i will try to describe it. it has two pullies each from a separate console. they are attached to their consoles high off the ground. what i do is take one handle (pully) in each hand and pull them in towards my front and cross over my hands and squeeze in order to work the chest. i think that this machine is also used for herculean curls for biceps. SORRY FOR THE AWFUL AND BORING EXPLANATION. now that i think (hope) that we have an understanding of what i am talking (blabbering) about, here is my question. when doing this exercise, should i be standing up straight or bent foward or what??? thanks and i sincerely apologize and sympathize with you for your pain in reading this. lol (or maybe not?)
    flex
    Last edited by flexshack; 10-31-2001 at 03:02 PM.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Everyone is always talking about varying your workouts and excercises ...this is one we haven't touched on .... But, one of the easiest ways to vary your chest workout is utilizing the incline bench .... vary your position on it once in awhile .... The typical flat, incline and decline ( which I feel is worthless : decline that is ) can be a bit boring ... Try ( as stated above ) lowering it a bit . or instead of starting with flat do a mid bench .... then work some machines ... I enjoy this for a pre-exaust day ... 30 degree T fly's thats with vary lil elbow bending ... get a good stretch ( really focus on the stretching with this movement ) *** WARM UP FIRST *** then do mid bench dumbell presses .... If you can superset this do it .... If alone try and get 2 benches together ...or have your partner lower bench when you switch weights ...
    From here go to pec deck for 4 sets ( really squeeze those pecks at the peak position ....)
    then to close grip bench press for 4 sets . ( Keep weight low and keep the bar in working range ... do not lock out at the elbows ... You should have an incredible pump ...
    You can finish off with dips and push downs .... or whatever your inclined to .... good luck

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Depends on how I feel but it will vary between 30 and 45 anymore than that and you might as well do miltary press IMO

sambostyle is offline New Member

vary degrees by 15's

According to most physiology books every 15 degrees involves a new group of muscle fibers. Start with 15 degrees the first week and then do 30 the next. The same applies for declines, in fact a 15 degree decline recruits more fibers from the pecs than any other angle. The same hold true for all fan haped muscles.

thanks for all the tips. markymark, you mentioned alot of good lifts. the only problem is i am never good with names of things. i probably do alot of what you said but i am not sure. i wish this forum could put something together for people like me. something that explains different lifts with their names above it or something like that. anyway, thanks again.
    flex

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I vary it week to week also. I like too vary my workout like that.

Thread Information