wes cst rydr is offline Associate Member

have to be sore to grow?

what do you guys think, some people say if your not sore the next day from you routine it didnt work.but i know sometimes i work my ass off and not sore the next day.i get upset when i dont get sore.whats your guys opinion?

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    It's a myth, only my legs get kinda sore now and the rest of me is growing like a weed.

saberu is offline New Member
    IMO if I don't get sore at least once or twice a month then I feel I am slacking. I have been making steady gains both with soreness after or not but I honestly enjoy the feeling it leaves me the next day. Plus it completely clears my mind about thoughts of training for a short while and encourages me to eat the next day. Maybee it's just me? but I doubt it is huing the situation.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Soreness or lack there of is a physiological response to your muscles adapting to exercise. It takes 8 to 12 weeks for your muscles to fully adapt to any exercise your doing were it will no longer elicit a response. Sometimes for highly trained individuals soreness is one possible indicator of overtraining. If you don't get sore after every workout then thats ok. Its when you get sore after workouts and continue to be sore that something needs to be looked at as far as possible errors in training, diet, or rest.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by wes cst rydr
    what do you guys think, some people say if your not sore the next day from you routine it didnt work.but i know sometimes i work my ass off and not sore the next day.i get upset when i dont get sore.whats your guys opinion?
    soreness is no indication. However if your not getting sore, you need to make sure your form and intensity are spot on

krusher is offline Junior Member
    I rarely get sore but I'm still growing I used to like it when I got sore more often felt like I was achieving more towards my goals

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    Soreness or lack there of is a physiological response to your muscles adapting to exercise. It takes 8 to 12 weeks for your muscles to fully adapt to any exercise your doing were it will no longer elicit a response. Sometimes for highly trained individuals soreness is one possible indicator of overtraining. If you don't get sore after every workout then thats ok. Its when you get sore after workouts and continue to be sore that something needs to be looked at as far as possible errors in training, diet, or rest.
    exactly. i dont know why people think being sore is a good thing, it really isnt

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    ^^Ditto.

I only get sore the day after the training sessions which occur after a long lay-off.

Otherwise.. i'm sore infrequently.

Usually soreness for me coincides with under-eating on the previous day.

reppedout1 is offline Member
    i've found that i'm less sore when on cycle than not

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    ^^ because your recovery is higher

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by reppedout1
    i've found that i'm less sore when on cycle than not
    LOL, think about it, GEAR allows you to recover quicker

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    Im pretty much sore after every workout. Is that bad? My chest is sore from two days ago. Is that ok?

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    I liek to feel a very little bit of soreness, it feels good in a way but I know when I am too sore as well.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Am I the only sicko that loves that sore feeling? You are sore but pumped at the same time.

HotShot2U is offline New Member
    I don't get sore that often but when I do its usually cause under-eat, undersleep, or overtrain.

However, I'm with you benches... I love being sore.

Blog Entries
    After a few weeks of doing a routine I will throw in a new exercise or a variation of one. That will usually get me a little sore sometimes.

ph34rsh4ck is offline Member
    my chest is usually sore for about 5 days after i work it out, but my back..legs, etc, dont have the same effect as with my chest workouts, and i usually only do about 10-12 sets for chest

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ph34rsh4ck
    my chest is usually sore for about 5 days after i work it out, but my back..legs, etc, dont have the same effect as with my chest workouts, and i usually only do about 10-12 sets for chest
    10-12 sets!!!

You should not be sore for five days after every chest workout. You are overtraining big time. You should only be doing about half the number of sets on chest as your doing. Relatively speaking the chest is not a large muscle group. When you bench the prime mover is your pecs aided my anterior delt, followed by Serratus anterior, and Tri's. Im suprised your shoulders havent gone out yet.

thats 4 sets of incline, 4 sets of flat, and like 2 sets of dips or db flies...how could that be overtraining?

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    10-12 sets!!!

You should not be sore for five days after every chest workout. You are overtraining big time. You should only be doing about half the number of sets on chest as your doing. Relatively speaking the chest is not a large muscle group. When you bench the prime mover is your pecs aided my anterior delt, followed by Serratus anterior, and Tri's. Im suprised your shoulders havent gone out yet.
    Different strokes for different folks. Let's say he's doing 3 exercises, and counting his warmup sets. That means 3 work sets for 3 exercises.. considering that most chest movements are compound, 9 hard sets really isn't that bad. My chest won't even respond under that.. and bigger muscles, forget about it. I agree about the 5 days thing though.. that's pretty strange. Maybe he's not one of the folks that does benefit from more when it comes to his chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    Different strokes for different folks. Let's say he's doing 3 exercises, and counting his warmup sets. That means 3 work sets for 3 exercises.. considering that most chest movements are compound, 9 hard sets really isn't that bad. My chest won't even respond under that.. and bigger muscles, forget about it. I agree about the 5 days thing though.. that's pretty strange. Maybe he's not one of the folks that does benefit from more when it comes to his chest.
    1st exercise-incline

2xwarmupsets
    4x6-8reps

2nd exercise-flat bench
    4x6-8

3rd exercise- db flies

3x8

4th exercise- dips

2xfailure

worked out chest on monday, its end of wednesday and my chest is still pretty sore if i flex it hard, i mean its sore for about 5 days, its not like deathly pain but if i squeeze my pecs together its not comfortable, and day 4-5 is like if i poke it pretty hard i can feel the soreness, its not like im walkin around holding my chest and stickin myself with morphine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    The sore for 5 days is a contra-indication of exercise. I would agree with you completely if we wasnt sore and making gains but. 10-12 sets on hitting muscles that are not that large when you compare muscle groups such as the back or legs. You should not be sore for five days after an exercise bout every time you work a body part. His body should have adapted to the exercises if given proper rest withing the first two weeks of a workout regime.

The sore for 5 days is a contra-indication of exercise. I would agree with you completely if we wasnt sore and making gains but. 10-12 sets on hitting muscles that are not that large when you compare muscle groups such as the back or legs. You should not be sore for five days after an exercise bout every time you work a body part. His body should have adapted to the exercises if given proper rest withing the first two weeks of a workout regime.
    well what would u suggest, if u look above your last post is my chest workout, if i am overtraining, what would you suggest i change, ill try it out and see which works better

Thread Information