axedov is offline New Member

Training with a hernia

Hi everyone,
    just wondering ive been training for a couple of years now and recentley have scored my self a hernia not due to wieghts but lifting 3 motorbikes that had fallen down.im wondering is it still worth doing weights at this present moment,as i dont want to do more injury however i still want to keep the gains that i have worked for?
    Any input.

pip_squeek is offline Associate Member
    i have the same problem if its minor hernia its ok but if you had an operation then give it 12 weeks minimum before starting training again. is it groin or stomach?

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    What kind is it? do you know. I had a sub-lingual hernia. I got it opperated on. before the opperation I kept training. It never hurt or anything... but i did have to reduce my squats and deads for a while after surgery... Most hernia's aren't life threatening and many don't require surgery. I did loose some mass after the surgery tho... PM me if you have any questions.

Mr.Akeym is offline Junior Member
    I've had a hernia in the past. I'm not sure exactly how I caused it, and never even knew I had it as I was in no pain eithier. But if I was you I wouldn't train no more, or if you do keep it light. I would get the surgery as immediately as possible and start the recovery process. My surgeon also requested what Pip Squeek posted as a 12 week minium to heal. I say this, because its important that you not rupture it further. I know it sucks! The procedure is very easy, but the recover process IMO was painful.

bigtomo1 is offline Junior Member
    ive got one,the only time it pops out is when i do abs,everything else im ok with,just depends how bad your hernia is i suppose!!

Maldorf is offline Senior Member
    I just had 3 hernias repaired 5 weeks ago. I had one umbilical and 2 inguinal (groin). The umbilical hernia I had for 19 years and lifted hard and very heavy all of that time. It rarely ever hurt, but it gradually grew larger. The 2 inguinal hernias were only about 6 months old at most and those would hurt, pain was bad enough to make me want to have surgery. I only took off 16 days from the gym after the surgery. I lifited very light for 2 weeks, and now after 5 weeks am just starting to drop down to sets of 12 and 10 reps. I was doing sets of 20 to start with. I didnt do anything that would cause and increase in pressure inside the abdomen either. So that meant no squats, deadlifts, leg presses, ab work for the first 3 weeks or so. Even my surgeon told me, and ive heard it from other professionsals, that you will be done healing after 6 weeks and then its no restrictions. After 6 weeks its mostly a matter of the scar tissue decreasing. Make sure they use a patch on your hernia.

If I were you I would see a surgeon and get his opinion if you need surgery. Keep in mind that a hernia will NEVER heal on its own. If you dont get it fixed now it will only continue to grow larger over the years.

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    **** a hernia.Maybe ur doing something wrong

Bigmax is offline Retired VET~ If you dont know... ask me
    this needs to be in the training forum..

Mr.Akeym is offline Junior Member
    Along with what Maldorf posted; I wanted to ask you who told you, you have a hernia? There are different stages as mine was a mild hernia. I to have another hernia, I wonder what is the cause? Is it because we lift too heavy? I was told hernias can happen just from a bad cough or sneeze. oh yeah mine was (Groin). Good Luck Axedov.

axedov is offline New Member
    Thanks for the input to all, im seeing a surgern to morrow,hopefully all goes well and by the way its in the groin.And as to the last reply it can be caused by as little as a cough,how ever i belive mine was caused by straining my body in an awquard position for too long.

Maldorf is offline Senior Member
    From what ive learned your likelyhood of getting a hernia seems to be linked strongly with genetics. So happens that both my Dad and my mothers brother, my uncle, had hernias in the 50s so I have it on both sides of my family tree. Its true, something as simple as a sneeze can cause one. I know someone that got theirs that way. I think our lifting heavy weights might speed up the process of getting hernias. We would probably get the hernia when we are older such as 50ish, but we get them when we are younger because of the stress we put on our bodies. So I think for some of us the lifting just brings on the hernias when we are young rather than letting them happen naturally when we are older. Just a theory.

Thread Information