Thread: Abs!

Getinbgr is offline Associate Member

Abs!

How often should an ectomorph work his abs?

Abs

Okay. Let's try this: How often do you work your abs? Same as every other muscle group? or more often?

Thanks.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    heres some bad advice that worked really good for me...........

when I first started lifting, I didnt know anything so I did abs 6 days a week for a good 30 min workout everytime and use weighted movements.

I developed a really decent 6 pack and was almost able to carve out an 8 pack before I got deployed for a year and flushed all my results down the toliet.

I was also tested w/ electrical impedence(Ithink?) and calipers and was at 7.14% that year, @ 6ft (so yeah a true ecto)

Do I recommend that much volume now, no but for begginers you can get away w/ crap like this and make gains even w/ a somewhat crappy diet, it just the nature of the beast so to speak

how often do I do abs now? probably once a month out of bordem, I cant stand ab workouts.

powerlifting has kept my abs looking ok although im fatter now at around 11-12 %

gigem is offline Banned
    i do a couple times a week some bbs do them everyday some just a few weeks before a contest i had just read an article on that issue . abs calves and forearms can be worked more often than others

But wouldn't working them everyday violate the advice of allowing your CNS adequete rest?

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Getinbgr
    But wouldn't working them everyday violate the advice of allowing your CNS adequete rest?
    smartass J/K, yeah, it would. which is why I never do abs, It was back when I didnt know any better,

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Id do them 3 days per week that what I do, do a mon. wed. fri type deal, I honestly think that if you dont train your abs you abdomen is alot more prone to getting an umbilical hernia, I think thats how I got mine, I never trained my abs for the first few years of lifting (because I have abs, no matter if i train them or not) and what happend I got an umbilical hernia, but yeah just train them three times per week.

Wish I could say the same thing; although my bf is low, and I am mostly lean, my abs have always been underdeveloped. The little extra weight I have is on the belly---very weak.

Wish I could say the same thing; although my bf is low, and I am mostly lean, my abs have always been underdeveloped. The little extra weight I have is on the belly---very weak.
    Well, no abs excesise is gonna take the fat off, youre gonna need cardio to burn that shit off.

and watch your diet as well, that could be the main reason why you have fat there

Test--I tend to think its the diet composition that is hurting me. My diet is focused on bulking right now. At 5'11" 175 llbs, I'm taking in about 3500 Calories per day, comprised of about 230 grams of protein. Those calories are also comprised of a high amount of simple sugars from soda and candy.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Test--I tend to think its the diet composition that is hurting me. My diet is focused on bulking right now. At 5'11" 175 llbs, I'm taking in about 3500 Calories per day, comprised of about 230 grams of protein. Those calories are also comprised of a high amount of simple sugars from soda and candy.
    That'll do it... doesn't matter how many or what kind of crunches, if you're bulking you might as well forget about abs.

Why the hell are you drinking soda and eating candy?

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969

Why the hell are you drinking soda and eating candy?
    Ya....why??? Thats you problem right there, cut that shit out, it ok to have those things once in a while, while bulking, but not on a regular basis, if you want abs you gotta cut that shit out, especially the soda man, damn.

Soda is my enemy. I'm drinking about 2 cans per day now. Candy is relegated to couple of piece per day. The rest is water and milk (protein/carb shakes).

nyjetsfan86 is offline Anabolic Member
    theres no need to train abs just keep yourself stable while lifting and by doing that you are incorporating abs into every exercise you do and thats the best ab workout you will ever have

s00noma is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan86
    theres no need to train abs just keep yourself stable while lifting and by doing that you are incorporating abs into every exercise you do and thats the best ab workout you will ever have
    been watching 'workout' ?

Soda is my enemy. I'm drinking about 2 cans per day now. Candy is relegated to couple of piece per day. The rest is water and milk (protein/carb shakes).
    Cut the soda AND cut the milk out, the milk isnt helping the ab situation either, if your only eating a lil candy per day that should be ok but then again I dont know how your body reacts to eating candy, some people eat only a lil bit and they gain fat in certain areas of thier body, I eat a SHIT load of candy, Im not kindding, lol, its bad but its ok for me, well sorta ok , lol, I dont gain fat from it lets just put it that way. Just try to eliminate sugar as much as possible and you should notice a big difference. Take one day per week to eat all the shitty stuff you like and call it your cheat day, this way youll be able to relgulate how much sugar your taking in and youll enjoy it more too, you know, youll look forward to it.

no actually ive never seen the show soonoma but im a certified trainer and was trained by a guy victor or "v-man" as he likes to be called and he traines with juan carlos santana so hes got a great deal of knowledge that he shared with me and i incorporated that into my wokrout and know have 6-pack abs and i havent done a single ab exercise in the past year

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s00noma
    been watching 'workout' ?
    I don't train abs directly.

Click here for my thoughts on the matter.

-N

Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    Well, no abs excesise is gonna take the fat off, youre gonna need cardio to burn that shit off.

All you need to hear!!!!!! if you are lifting any type of multi-joint compound movements then you abs are being activated, you want to see abs run FORREST RUN!!!!!!!!!

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by the hulkster
    you want to see abs run FORREST RUN!!!!!!!!!
    LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan86
    no actually ive never seen the show soonoma but im a certified trainer and was trained by a guy victor or "v-man" as he likes to be called and he traines with juan carlos santana so hes got a great deal of knowledge that he shared with me and i incorporated that into my wokrout and know have 6-pack abs and i havent done a single ab exercise in the past year
    i wasnt poking fun, i beleive what you said whole heartedly

the trainer on there said the same thing yesterday..coincidence i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I don't train abs directly.

Click here for my thoughts on the matter.

-N
    again, completely agree, i dont train abs either, nor have a seen what they look like yet

actually dont run forest run hop on a bike and just moniter your heart rate no need to run unless you like to

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s00noma
    again, completely agree, i dont train abs either, nor have a seen what they look like yet
    You are hilarious!

lil-SLIM is offline Member
    can some more guys with good abs post there routines

i posted what i do you can check out my pic thread if you want to see my abs
    6'0" 170lbs

Need to also cut out the Russian Bear 5000?

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the hulkster
    All you need to hear!!!!!! if you are lifting any type of multi-joint compound movements then you abs are being activated, you want to see abs run FORREST RUN!!!!!!!!!

Not to get off subject or anything but did'nt you have a member name on bodybuilders.com like traps or somthing.

Don't believe so.

Thread Information